Frickson Erazo

dubai_phil

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2324585/Frickson-Erazo-wanted-Southampton.html

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino has tabled a £2.5m bid for Barcelona Sporting Club defender Frickson Erazo.

The Ecuador international, 24, has won 21 caps for his country, is rated highly in South America and was monitored closely by Manchester United earlier this year.

Pochettino has opened talks over a deal and hopes to sign the commanding 6ft 3in Erazo early in the window.

Ah, another Ecuadorian.

Much as I massively praise MP and NC for some early, good proactive and positive action (as I have screamed for every year, even better since it is regarding the defence..), somebody needs to point out to them that Ecuadorians and Saints do not mix....

Does anyone at least know what his birthday is ?

Much as I massively praise MP and NC for some early, good proactive and positive action (as I have screamed for every year, even better since it is regarding the defence..), somebody needs to point out to them that Ecuadorians and Saints do not mix....

Third time lucky.

So going on this theory if Valencia was going to sign from Utd you wouldn't be happy due to a double signing from 10 years ago?

So going on this theory if Valencia was going to sign from Utd you wouldn't be happy due to a double signing from 10 years ago?

I remain generally unconvinced by transfers from certain countries/cultures. Imo S. American transfers do not work for us (Ramirez another case in point), whereas Scandinavian transfers have generally been successful. I dont know why that is, and ifts a specific issue related to us.

Could it be as simple as weather ? Or that Southampton is too far of the beaten track for the bigger cities and their more cosmpolitan lifestyle ? Who knows ?

I remain generally unconvinced by transfers from certain countries/cultures. Imo S. American transfers do not work for us (Ramirez another case in point), whereas Scandinavian transfers have generally been successful. I dont know why that is, and ifts a specific issue related to us.

Could it be as simple as weather ? Or that Southampton is too far of the beaten track for the bigger cities and their more cosmpolitan lifestyle ? Who knows ?

Scandinavians.....like Mikael Nilsson och Andreas Jakobson?? ;)

Yeah yeah I know, Lundekvam/Svensson/Svensson/Ostenstaad weigh that up. Tessem for me was not a success but a decent squad player at the time, Ekelund could have been a smashing success but in reality weren´t.

Remember Soltvedt, Johansen, Madsen, Steensgaard ??

Forren we dont know yet.......so maybe not so generally succesful but a decent result from them but I guess a good 50% ratio on signings wouldn´t be close to success for some on this forum considering how they rate our last 2 transfer windows...

And before you say it, Niemi isn´t scandinavian ;)

You could of course base it on a player by player basis.

We have a south american manager, several Spanish speaking coaches and two other South Americans in the squad. We also play a style of football that a South American manager made famous.

We had Delgado under a gruff Strachan who probably didn't fit under his style and essentially he was ruined because both he and Ecuador desperately wanted to play in the world cup so he did whilst injured.

Just because we had one rubbish player from Ecuador doesn't mean another will be.

Haha, love this little gem.

I'm amazed you've not flagged up the issue of work permit and how long this might take and how the player might not be here in time for the first training session... Your standards are slipping.

Scandinavians.....like Mikael Nilsson och Andreas Jakobson?? ;)

Yeah yeah I know, Lundekvam/Svensson/Svensson/Ostenstaad weigh that up. Tessem for me was not a success but a decent squad player at the time, Ekelund could have been a smashing success but in reality weren´t.

Remember Soltvedt, Johansen, Madsen, Steensgaard ??

Forren we dont know yet.......so maybe not so generally succesful but a decent result from them but I guess a good 50% ratio on signings wouldn´t be close to success for some on this forum considering how they rate our last 2 transfer windows...

And before you say it, Niemi isn´t scandinavian ;)

I was with you until the Ekelund point. MLT has a different view. Me too

I was with you until the Ekelund point. MLT has a different view. Me too

Well, I thought at first he was a succesful signing but found some stats that he only played 17 games. If that stats are true I can never call a player a succesful signing for the club.

He can still have a great short spell but as a signing I would like to have more out of a player than 17 games before calling it a succesful signing...

If those stats are false on the other hand, I´m with you.......

Dont remember if he was broguht in late some season to save our PL status?

If so I´m ready to change my view......

Well, I thought at first he was a succesful signing but found some stats that he only played 17 games. If that stats are true I can never call a player a succesful signing for the club.

He can still have a great short spell but as a signing I would like to have more out of a player than 17 games before calling it a succesful signing...

By the sound of it you never saw Ekelund play and are just relying on stats. He was excellent for us, but had an issue with his back and couldn't agree with the club the best way to manage it.

No he was signed after we stayed in the same hotel as Barcelona in preseason, Eklund was signed then and started the season with us IIRC. As Sour Mash says, it sounds like you never saw him play for us. IIRC correctly he needed an operation as he had problems with his back, the player didn't want to have it and believed he could carry on playing with masages and injections and the club and players could agree on it so he wasn't able to be signed permenantly. Was a fantastic player and made a real impact in his short time here. I'd go as far as to say one of top 5 players i've ever seen wear a Saints shirt.

After the anti-football of Branfoot, that Ekelund spell and his linkup with Le Tiss did more than anything to lift the gloom.

If you want to venture outside the comfort and cluelessness of stats, I would say the closest recent comparator -if your memory is short or youre too young to remember- was the opening spell in the NPC. Ipswich away was a class performance but not a patch on Ekelund/MLT's demolition of Coventry.

Ecuadorians have moved on since theTinMan; Valencia being a fine example.

By the sound of it you never saw Ekelund play and are just relying on stats. He was excellent for us, but had an issue with his back and couldn't agree with the club the best way to manage it.

In 94-95 there weren´t many games shown here in Sweden so no I probably saw him play 2 or 3 times.

But still 17 games are too few for me to be a succesful signing IMO. But hey, just an opinion...

After the anti-football of Branfoot, that Ekelund spell and his linkup with Le Tiss did more than anything to lift the gloom.

If you want to venture outside the comfort and cluelessness of stats, I would say the closest recent comparator -if your memory is short or youre too young to remember- was the opening spell in the NPC. Ipswich away was a class performance but not a patch on Ekelund/MLT's demolition of Coventry.

No, I´m too old to remember unfortunately ;)

But yes I have a different perspective living in Sweden, those years you were happy too be able to see the team play 2 or 3 times a season.

Of course he can be one of the best players that has played for us, just that I have a different view if it´s a good signing or not for us.

But yes I have a different perspective living in Sweden, those years you were happy too be able to see the team play 2 or 3 times a season.

Of course he can be one of the best players that has played for us, just that I have a different view if it´s a good signing or not for us.

Fair enough, it was a short-lived period and left a lot of 'what ifs' (like the Ball period in general), but it helped restore some of the feel good factor.

Am with you in general on Scandis - they're a safe pair of hands but hardly set the world alight. Always felt we got pretty good value with North African players who were consistent but had more upside.

Ekelund was a terrific player. He arrived here already with his back injury and we took him on spec, otherwise to be honest we'd never have been able to afford him. iirc, Lawrie Mac spotted him initially (?), seem to remember him mentioning that.

Your point was that he was not a success. He was utter class for us without doubt.

Signed on loan because Alan Ball got speaking to his old mate Cruyff, and Barca were hampered by the then rules about no more than 3 foreigners in your team, and Ekelund was 4th or 5th choice. I remember the irony of our manager having a chat with his mate Cruyff and then Barca loaned us someone who was mustard, to help us out, all just a few months after Ian Branfoot had been in charge....

MLT described Ekelund as the best team mate he had ever played with. He was completely on Le Tiss' wavelength

Ekelund was class. One of my best away day memories as a kid is a game at Coventry where he and Le Tiss played behind Dowie. Le Tiss scored another outrageous effort and Ekelund was all over the pitch. Great game.

That Coventry game was quality - one of the most complete away performances I can remember.

Your point was that he was not a success. He was utter class for us without doubt.

Signed on loan because Alan Ball got speaking to his old mate Cruyff, and Barca were hampered by the then rules about no more than 3 foreigners in your team, and Ekelund was 4th or 5th choice. I remember the irony of our manager having a chat with his mate Cruyff and then Barca loaned us someone who was mustard, to help us out, all just a few months after Ian Branfoot had been in charge....

MLT described Ekelund as the best team mate he had ever played with. He was completely on Le Tiss' wavelength

I was trying to make my opinion on him from the point of view if he was a succesful signing or not.

Not if he was a great player or not, therefore I said the he could´ve been a smashing success but I still think 17 games are too few to get that description as a signing.

That´s from my perspective and what I know to make that opinion. For the record even though I´m a swede I´ve never rated Anders Svensson as high as other did. For me he shows more than he delivers but I know that other think he is/was a great player for us.

I saw Delgado playing for Ecuador in the South American Copa. Ecuador were good and Delgado was awesome. The problem was twofold, he joined us with a knee injury and a world cup coming up. Having signed him Lowe should have sent him for an operation there and then. He didn't and he was pressured by amongst others the Ecudorean President to play, which he did presumably with Cortisone pumped into him but damaging his knee every time he played. He was never the same after that. The same happened with Pahar's ankle if I remember correctly. Liverpool are making no such mistake with Gerrard, having an operation on his shoulder immediately. Clubs know that some international teams don't care, they just want the player to play and damn the consequences. I hope we have learned.

I was trying to make my opinion on him from the point of view if he was a succesful signing or not.

Not if he was a great player or not, therefore I said the he could´ve been a smashing success but I still think 17 games are too few to get that description as a signing.

That´s from my perspective and what I know to make that opinion. For the record even though I´m a swede I´ve never rated Anders Svensson as high as other did. For me he shows more than he delivers but I know that other think he is/was a great player for us.

Well he was on loan, without any loan fee that is more common these days, so he was a flaming bargain for arguably the best quality player in years. Certainly not seen any better signings since

I saw Delgado playing for Ecuador in the South American Copa. Ecuador were good and Delgado was awesome. The problem was twofold, he joined us with a knee injury and a world cup coming up. Having signed him Lowe should have sent him for an operation there and then. He didn't and he was pressured by amongst others the Ecudorean President to play, which he did presumably with Cortisone pumped into him but damaging his knee every time he played. He was never the same after that. The same happened with Pahar's ankle if I remember correctly. Liverpool are making no such mistake with Gerrard, having an operation on his shoulder immediately. Clubs know that some international teams don't care, they just want the player to play and damn the consequences. I hope we have learned.

From what I have heard, the medical team got frustrated with Pahars towards the end as he kept unexpectantly announcing that he couldn't play with no obvious problems with his ankle. The issue became phsychological

• 1 month later...

Excellent, another Ecuadorian, we have a good track record with them. Another CB as well, we are already overloaded, although perhaps the quality could be improved, at least 2 will need to go if we sign this guy as well. Would rather see some movement in the LB/RB positions and a striker (we know we need MF as well but its clear that is happening one way or another)