You sign Whittingham, we sign Pochettino....

Saint Mikey

What's the first bit to this chant? Nice to hear something 'new'. By new, I mean more than likely stolen from Utd.

Man Utd used to sing it, FCUM also sing it, Man City then stole it to mock Man Utd's efforts in the transfer market a couple of seasons ago then the rest of the pack started copying it this season.

Would make more sense to me if it was "tell us what it's like" instead, but hey ho.

That would make much more sense. None of the song makes sense in it's current form. When singing 'This is what it's like to be Pompey, this is what it's like to be poor' at SMS, aren't we mocking ourselves, almost?

Also, considering none of us had even heard of MP before he took over makes it an weirder choice. Anyway, sing it as fast as you can until you can't go any faster and it's just drowned out by the sound of frenzied clapping. That after all is the Southampton way.

Dont really get why we always have to sing atleast 20 minutes about bloody pompey... They are an absolute nothing team right now

There is that as well, I'm happy to head back to "ignore mode" now, apart from WTFILN.

Would make more sense to me if it was "tell us what it's like" instead, but hey ho.

Personally I would ban any song that mentioned the 'P' word but if it has to be sung then you are right, that would make more sense. I'd also change "poor" for "small" (f'kin minnows!) and "sign" to "get".

Can't argue we need more variety though.

Personally I would ban any song that mentioned the 'P' word but if it has to be sung then you are right, that would make more sense. I'd also change "poor" for "small" (f'kin minnows!) and "sign" to "get".

Can't argue we need more variety though.

Agreed on the changes, "got" and "have" work better though, "sign" just sounds wrong for managers. Also, the whole song has obsolescence built in by naming managers.

Currently rivaling the cortese song for worst and most cringeworthy chant. Had some muppet directly behind me shouting it for the entire first half. Absolutely terrible.

Agreed on that too. Businessman-loving songs are just weird. Songs about altruistic b/millionaire owners, I'm fine with.

As most posters don't do away games, the whinging on here is redundant.

Most new chants start (or die) at away games as that's where they get most traction or get shot down. Judging by the spurs/sunderland games, manc/inspiral carpets ripoff has stuck for good -way more than the cortese chant has ever done.

It's cause is helped by the fact that it's become the default pochettino chant as there's nothing else sung for him.

Not a fan of any manc chant, though on one level it's only an extension of the fashion of and the nostalgia for overrated manc music. But it's here to stay and if you don't like it, you're going to have to lump it.

Edited by shurlock

I think it's a nice gesture that just when the egos at pompey couldn't be at a lower ebb, our fans are sending out a clear message that they are still just as important to us. Three divisions below us and our fans are still thinking about them for large parts of the match while they watch our players compete with the best in the country. Their name is still being sung in the premier league, it's a testament to their success in the last decade. Well done, lads!

As most posters don't do away games, the whinging on here is redundant.

Most new chants start (or die) at away games as that's where they get most traction or get shot down. Judging by the spurs/sunderland games, manc/inspiral carpets ripoff has stuck for good -way more than the cortese chant has ever done.

It's cause is helped by the fact that it's become the default pochettino chant as there's nothing else sung for him.

Not a fan of any manc chant, though on one level it's only an extension of the fashion of and the nostalgia for overrated manc music. But it's here to stay and if you don't like it, you're going to have to lump it.

I've heard a couple of other Pochettino songs (Redandwhitearmy mostly). As for lump it, well yeah, until either we or the Skates sack the manager.

I think it's a nice gesture that just when the egos at pompey couldn't be at a lower ebb, our fans are sending out a clear message that they are still just as important to us. Three divisions below us and our fans are still thinking about them for large parts of the match while they watch our players compete with the best in the country. Their name is still being sung in the premier league, it's a testament to their success in the last decade. Well done, lads!

Good point, well made.

Every week all we want to sing is OWTS 100s of times. Do some of you idiots not know anything else?

Hah, so in the face of everyone saying it's crap, there's one person calling the majority idiots. Nicely done.

I was at spurs when this started and we were singing...

Its not nice to be pompey

its not nice to be poor

You got whittingham

We got pochettino

"its not nice" Makes perfect sense to me as a song. " This is what its like" makes no sense at all.

As for people moaning about songs anything is better than nothing. Noise creates atmosphere and people that try to create it should not be shot down for trying.

I like it and will continue to sing it .

I have commented on this song on another thread where I pointed out that there are several slightly different versions of this song going around - largely because like the OP no-one can make out what is being sung!

Personally, I agree with the sentiment that I would rather sing about Saints than about some naff fourth division club with a fat bare-bellied prat of a fan who stirs up unnecessary hatred across the south coast. I would suggest that we need alternative words for the song depending upon who we are playing. So, for example:

Playing Norwich

Is that what it's like to be Norwich, always boring yellow and green?

You've got Delia, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

Playing West Ham

Is that what it's like to be West Ham, long balls and boring football?

You've got Big Fat Sam, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

Playing Sunderland

Is that what it's like to be Sund'land, supporting the BNP?

You've got a fascist boss, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

etc...

I also think we can create some new songs based on tunes that no-one else has yet thought to use. So, for example, while we have already got a perfectly good Adam Lallana song (pinched I guess from another club and another player) I have previously suggested it would be quite funny and different to sing a song for Lalland based on the old Smurfing song:

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lallana,

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lallana, Lallana!

For those that don't know or remember it, check it out on YouTube:

- you need to listen to the refrain from about 25 seconds until 1 minute 9 seconds!

Here are a few other songs that I am surprised we do not sing, either in their original form or with some adapted lyrics:

Us Against The World, Coldplay - simply sing the second verse and chorus as they are or change some bits of it:

The tightrope that I'm walking just sways and ties

The devil as he's talking with those angel's eyes

And I just want to be there when the lightning strikes

And the Saints go marching in

And sing slow-ow-ow-ow it down

Through chaos as it swirls It's us against the world

The Saints Are Coming, The Skids (also recently covered by U2 and Green Day)

The Saints are coming, the Saints are coming

I say no matter how I try, I realize there's no reply

The Saints of Los Angeles, Motley Crue (Change Los Angeles to Southampton of course plus a few other cosmetic changes!)

We are...we are the saints

We signed our life away

Doesn't matter what you think

We're gonna do it anyway

One day you will confess

And Pray to the saints of Los Angeles.

Finally, here are a few songs that could all be adapted to create some great terrace songs:

Paradise - Coldplay (And it's Gaston, Gaston Ramirez, oh it's Gaston, Gaston Ramirez...!)

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - Coldplay (Our secret weapon is Jay Rodriguez!)

Imagine - John Lennon (Imagine there's no defence, it's easy if you try???!!! - hopefully taunting the opponents rather than highlighting our own shortcomings!)

Clown - Emeli Sande (We've got Luke Shaw, out on the pitch...)

Maybe - Emeli Sande (Jack Cork, taking the ball out of defence, giving it out to the forwards, he's gotta be England class...?)

Breaking The Law - Emeli Sande (I'll never stop following Southampton!)

Read All About It - Emeli Sande (I wanna sing, I wanna shout, I wanna follow Southampton, no doubt...)

Beneath You're Beautiful - Labrinth/Emeli Sande (and at right back - it's great to see Nathaniel Clyne (repeat)... shrug them off now boy, etc.)

Overjoyed - Bastille ('Oh I feel overjoyed to see the Saints are climbing up the Premier League...')

Oblivion - Bastille ('cos we're going to follow Saints' instead of 'are you going to age with grace?' and 'Southampton' instead of 'Oblivion', etc.

Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears For Fears (Supporting Southampton, Southampton... supporting South-ampton!)

Shout - Tears For Fears (Shout, Shout, let it all out, We are the Saints and there ain't no doubt, come on...!)

Man on The Moon - REM ('Would you believe, we're are Premier League, Premier League...' or similar)

Ignoreland - REM (Just substitute 'Southampton' or a players name for 'Ignoreland' - dead simple!)

Find The River - REM ('We have got Gaston Ramirez...')

My Beloved Monster - Eels (My beloved Saints and Me, we go everywhere together...)

Anyway, that's just a few suggestions...!! :)

I have commented on this song on another thread where I pointed out that there are several slightly different versions of this song going around - largely because like the OP no-one can make out what is being sung!

Personally, I agree with the sentiment that I would rather sing about Saints than about some naff fourth division club with a fat bare-bellied prat of a fan who stirs up unnecessary hatred across the south coast. I would suggest that we need alternative words for the song depending upon who we are playing. So, for example:

Playing Norwich

Playing West Ham

Playing Sunderland

etc...

I also think we can create some new songs based on tunes that no-one else has yet thought to use. So, for example, while we have already got a perfectly good Adam Lallana song (pinched I guess from another club and another player) I have previously suggested it would be quite funny and different to sing a song for Lalland based on the old Smurfing song:

For those that don't know or remember it, check it out on YouTube:

- you need to listen to the refrain from about 25 seconds until 1 minute 9 seconds!

Here are a few other songs that I am surprised we do not sing, either in their original form or with some adapted lyrics:

Us Against The World, Coldplay - simply sing the second verse and chorus as they are or change some bits of it:

The tightrope that I'm walking just sways and ties

The devil as he's talking with those angel's eyes

And I just want to be there when the lightning strikes

And the Saints go marching in

And sing slow-ow-ow-ow it down

Through chaos as it swirls It's us against the world

The Saints Are Coming, The Skids (also recently covered by U2 and Green Day)

The Saints of Los Angeles, Motley Crue (Change Los Angeles to Southampton of course plus a few other cosmetic changes!)

We signed our life away

Doesn't matter what you think

We're gonna do it anyway

One day you will confess

And Pray to the saints of Los Angeles.

Finally, here are a few songs that could all be adapted to create some great terrace songs:

Paradise - Coldplay (And it's Gaston, Gaston Ramirez, oh it's Gaston, Gaston Ramirez...!)

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - Coldplay (Our secret weapon is Jay Rodriguez!)

Imagine - John Lennon (Imagine there's no defence, it's easy if you try???!!! - hopefully taunting the opponents rather than highlighting our own shortcomings!)

Clown - Emeli Sande (We've got Luke Shaw, out on the pitch...)

Maybe - Emeli Sande (Jack Cork, taking the ball out of defence, giving it out to the forwards, he's gotta be England class...?)

Breaking The Law - Emeli Sande (I'll never stop following Southampton!)

Read All About It - Emeli Sande (I wanna sing, I wanna shout, I wanna follow Southampton, no doubt...)

Beneath You're Beautiful - Labrinth/Emeli Sande (and at right back - it's great to see Nathaniel Clyne (repeat)... shrug them off now boy, etc.)

Overjoyed - Bastille ('Oh I feel overjoyed to see the Saints are climbing up the Premier League...')

Oblivion - Bastille ('cos we're going to follow Saints' instead of 'are you going to age with grace?' and 'Southampton' instead of 'Oblivion', etc.

Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears For Fears (Supporting Southampton, Southampton... supporting South-ampton!)

Shout - Tears For Fears (Shout, Shout, let it all out, We are the Saints and there ain't no doubt, come on...!)

Man on The Moon - REM ('Would you believe, we're are Premier League, Premier League...' or similar)

Ignoreland - REM (Just substitute 'Southampton' or a players name for 'Ignoreland' - dead simple!)

Find The River - REM ('We have got Gaston Ramirez...')

My Beloved Monster - Eels (My beloved Saints and Me, we go everywhere together...)

Anyway, that's just a few suggestions...!! :)

this is a joke right?

Some of you need to get a life. Its a football song, if you don't like it don't sing it.

Whether you like it or not part of being a Saints fan is our rivalry with pompey - It comes with the colours. That rivalry means more to some and less to others..

The version sang at white hart lane actually sounded pretty good and a lot of fans were singing it....tut tut singing songs at football that support your manager and take the **** out of your biggest rivals.

I still remember the meltdown on here during the World Cup, when the "ten german bombers song was mentioned..................

How is it taking the **** out of pompey by singing 'This is what its like to be pompey...' ? It's nothing like being pompey. A sh*t mong song.

So you can't read then? Let me help you out -

"The version sang at white hart lane"

So assuming you weren't there, you are having a pop at fans that went to an away match and a sang song. I think I have a better use for your word "mong".

Playing Norwich

Playing West Ham

Playing Sunderland

That is like the post equivalent of the original Ted Bates statue, so bad it's hillarious.

Dont really get why we always have to sing atleast 20 minutes about bloody pompey... They are an absolute nothing team right now

Now now.

I'm sure that Man Utd fans tour the country singing anti-Rochdale songs.

Yes I am. I think fully gron men singing songs with their arms in the air at football is just plain embarrassing.

Indeed. I've always said "Football" would be much better if everyone just sat there is silence, I mean who the **** do they think they are, singing songs, getting behind their team, generating an atmosphere and having a laugh with their mates.

Happy to support a petition or something if you can find a way of banning this from our grounds - Let me know.

seriously some on here need a reality check

its just a song, sung by many at away games

if you don't like it,just don't sing it,simple really

I don't like the song pompey fan on a string,hence I don't join in with it

never sung harry and jim are red and white but many did

football atmospheres are bad enough without people on here,who don't go to games,slagging others for singing a song

we aren't all lennon and mcartney,so praise to those who try and get new songs going,whether its against our main rivals or for our team

look forward to next season and the next round of insults when weve pinched a song from utd