Slow forum

Saint Garrett

Completely agree with this one! I'm a slow typist and often by the time I have written out my comment and posted it the conversation has long moved on. I think having a slow forum alongside the others would really be beneficial to people like me. Good suggestion!

There do seem to have been a few problems with newer builds of Chrome recently, I've not noticed a problem on here but loading times for other sites have increased massively. Due to the auto-update nature of Chrome, it's likely that hardly anyone will notice when they fix the problem, but nor is it possible (seemingly) to roll back to the last known fully-working version :wave:

It affects Firefox too! And it's bloody annoying. I have no problem at home with every other site on the internet, so I'm thinking the problem must lie somewhere within this site.

First page loads instantly. When you click on a thread, wait 90 seconds for the page to open.

I am running IE9 through a VM cable connection with 100me= download ability and it's still taking a very long time to open any page within this site.

Mods...Is there something you need to tell us about or should we all migrate off to somewhere else for a while ?

So I had a thought. I turned on private browsing and either they have fixed the issue at the same time or doing so has fixed the slow forum. Try it and see what happens.

If it does work simple work around but I'd be asking big questions as to what is trying to run on this website that private browsing turns off.

Depends on your browser.

IE 9/10 (not sure about 8): Tools - InPrivatre Browsing

Firefox: File - New Private Window

Chrome: Customise And control Google Chrome: New Incognito Window (Or Press CRTL+SHIFT+N)

Safari on iPad: Go to Safari Settings and Turn on Private Browsing,

Please note when turning on Private browsing your user details are not saved so you will need to enter them on each visit.

I have tested this now on all web browsers and turning on Private browsing resolved the issue with slowness on all.

Steve Grant over to you to find out what your website / ad's / hosting company is up to.

I'm back in the office tomorrow so I'll have a look into it then.

Might be worth finding out if your hosting company uses cdn distribution servers as it could be an issue with how it's distributing the load into your server, as not everyone is experiencing the issue it could be more localised

Might be worth finding out if your hosting company uses cdn distribution servers as it could be an issue with how it's distributing the load into your server, as not everyone is experiencing the issue it could be more localised

We don't. There are two possible problems, I think - the first being that the new infrastructure with better firewall isn't handling things as well as it should, the second being that the company who host the adverts (a combination of Google AdSense and another company) has changed the way they serve the adverts which has had a knock-on effect.

I'm not convinced it can be the latter option because some full members are reporting issues as well as "3-posters".

That was my thinking about the ad's but then I too noticed full members reported the issue, but it would be strange if it was a firewall issue as it's interested how private browsing resolves it and unsure why a firewall would care. But good luck on finding it so I can get back to not having to type my user details in each time :)

There is an update to vBulletin that I've been putting off due to not having enough hours in the day at the moment, so I think I'll probably explore that avenue as well. It could be that there was something in the current version (v4.2.0) that exposes this problem and has subsequently been fixed.

There is a major new version available as well, but I'm not yet convinced it's good enough to be worth either the expense or the time it would take to design a Saints skin for it.

Private browsing certainly seems to have improved the speed of the forum by a long distance, but there shouldn't really be an issue with running it just on the normal browser.

Agreed. Still investigating this, need to try a few things over the next week or so.

Slowness is back for me on Safari today. Yesterday I managed to get around the page load delays by following the advice above of switching on Private Browsing. Today the slowness is back although I still have private browsing switched on.