Ron Davies 1942-2013

Gemmel

Horton posted

Declined all contact from ex players and supporters

. I thought in recent years some fans raised money to help Ron with having a medical intervention . My memory is somewhat hazy on this . Was he not in Southampton in the last couple of years . Perhaps Duncan can advise on this

It's all covered in the excellent tribute fron Duncan and David Bull on the OS: http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/ron-davies-an-appreciation-840269.aspx

As a regular at the Dell in those days, I probably saw most of Ron Bacardi's home matches, and an occasional away game. I also met him a couple of times (in those days the players were far more part of the community than they are now), and all the comments about his greatness are justified, in my view. The comments about his incredible heading ability are also right, aided by Ted Bates setting up the team to provide for him, but he was also a good poacher. Many times from the far end of the ground, we wouldn't know who had scored Saints latest goal from a melee, but Davies would be the one coming out from the crowd with his arm raised, receiving the congratulations from his team mates. Happy Days!

A very sad day. Ron's amazing ability in the air tends to overshadow how good he was on the ground and at leading the line - a fact that gets mentioned in David Bull's biography of Ted Bates. Only half of his goals were with his head

Ron scored the first Saints goal I ever saw - March 1968, v Sheff Wed at the Dell, at the Archers Road end just before half time - don't remember anything else about the game!

An overused word, but Ron was a true legend

Well that hit me right in the feelings. Another vote for getting Ron into the banner at the top of the site.

I was too young to see him in the flesh but going by the reactions of those that did see him I'm surprised he's not up there.

Was a very big part of the club's first stretch in the top flight and a legend to those who saw him.

Time to put Big Ron up on the banner.

Horton posted

Declined all contact from ex players and supporters

. I thought in recent years some fans raised money to help Ron with having a medical intervention . My memory is somewhat hazy on this . Was he not in Southampton in the last couple of years . Perhaps Duncan can advise on this

Since his partner Chrissie passed away in 2009 Ron became increasingly reclusive. He retained his dignity and his pride and asked for nothing. The sad thing is no family have yet come forward to take responsibility for his funeral although we are in touch with a Saints fan who lives in the States who is going to get involved. More when I find anything out

What a player !

Hardly 'Big' at 6 ft by today's standards but must have looked 6'6"

to the teams he played against.

The 4 goals he scored v Man U are well documented but less so

are the 4 he scored v Chelsea when we won 6-2 at the Bridge - Chivers

scoring the other 2. I was lucky enough to have been there.

A statue at SMS would certainly be a fitting tribute.

Rest in peace Ron. I am slightly too young to have seen you play at The Dell, but I remember you from Match of the Day as a kid and remember you as a giant of a man. We've all lost a legend from the great family that is Southampton FC. I hope that you are at peace with your wife Chris, and that Ted has picked you to play alongside Ossie and Bobby on saturday. Though I never met you, the tears are rolling down my face. One of the saddest days ever to be a Saint.

RIP Big Ron - he was playing long before my time as a Saints fan but any Saints fan worth his salt knows the contribution Ron made to our attack in the sixties. Sad news. 70 is no age either. :-(

Only saw him play 'live' the once in a Saints' shirt. By the time I started going regularly Ron had moved on. Saints legend, never forgotten. BTW Tim used to regularly give us updates on how Ron was doing. Is he still in contact with the family? If so, maybe he could pass on all of our condolences? RIP Big Ron.

Here's another tribute I don't think has been posted yet.

http://lostboyos.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/rip-ron-saints-canaries-and-the/

By the way, this website has all the tributes collated, for those who don't already use it.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Southampton

Here's a 2009 spoken interview with Ron.

http://epltalk.com/podcasts/2009/epl-talk-ron-davies-34909/

Edited by RonManager

My random memories of Big Ron

1. Never really heard of him when he signed for £55,000 in 1966

2, Singing along to the refrain 'Da Doo Ron Davies, Da Doo Ron Ron, on away trips

2. Most remembered goal? Ironically a right footed thunderbolt (he always favoured the left) in a last game of the season win over Villa 1967. Think the ball stuck in the stanchion. He scored 4 that day and was denied a 5th due to a dodgy offside

3. Greatest opponent? Mike England when he played for Spurs. He and Ron had a great tussle at White Hart Lane one year (I think we lost 5-3 but Ron won the individual battle)

4. Most difficult opponent. recollect it was probably Billy Baxter of Ipswich. Smaller than Ron but also a good leaper.

5. Off field recollections of Ron? At the Metro/Top Rank surrounded by adoring women (B*****d!!)

6. Last recollections of Ron? Turning out for Wessex Hotel in the Soton Sunday Morning league as a centre half.

Great memories and the third recently departed Saint, after Ken Jones and Kevin Moore

Spoke with one of his daughters, it was actually her that called me and broke the news.

Only saw him play 'live' the once in a Saints' shirt. By the time I started going regularly Ron had moved on. Saints legend, never forgotten. BTW Tim used to regularly give us updates on how Ron was doing. Is he still in contact with the family? If so, maybe he could pass on all of our condolences? RIP Big Ron.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all the heartfelt memories left as I can pass them on to his daughter. Ron genuinely loved and adored Saints fans - he was the consumate 'fans' player, he always had time for all of us!!

Reported in one of the newspaper tributes:

He had a genuine affection for the club and its supporters. “I know players always say that fans are great but Southampton fans really were brilliant to me,” Davies said.

“I’m not one of these bitter old pros who go on about modern players making big money but the one thing I would say is they don’t seem to give the fans the respect they deserve. They have to realise that without the fans, football is nothing.”

Martin, Kirkup, Hollywood; Fisher, McGrath, Gabriel; Paine, Channon, DAVIES, O'Neill, Jenkins.

C****t, that brings back memories. It's sad news: I can't remember indivdual games from that time, although I do remember a slightly overweight RDs in The Cowherds when I was a student at SU.

I still play, and my defensive headers aren't bad, but if only I had the leap and the timing of big Ron. It's a shame he couldn't make it over these last few years: I think the roar from us old fogies would have delighted him no end.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all the heartfelt memories left as I can pass them on to his daughter. Ron genuinely loved and adored Saints fans - he was the consumate 'fans' player, he always had time for all of us!!

Just seen your post. Oh, please do! I'll be playing my last game on Sunday, but if I play in attack or come up for a corner I'll ask Ron for a hand in getting my head to the ball..

It was Saturday 13th May 1967 and Saints were playing Aston Villa in the last game of our first season in the top-flight. I stood in the Milton Road end and saw Ron score 4 goals in our 6-2 victory ( Martin Chivers scored the other 2). We stayed up and Villa were relegated. That night the club that I was playing for in the Southampton Senior league was holding its end-of-season awards' dinner and our guest of honour was Ron. Just 2 hours after the game at the Dell ended, Ron turned up bang on time, presented the awards and stayed chatting with us for the rest of the evening. He was one of the lads. I've still got the photographs with Ron from that evening, the cutting that appeared in the Echo and his prized signature.

He scored 37 goals in 41 appearances that season, playing for a team that finished 4th from bottom. In fact, his goal total represented exactly 50% of the goals scored by Saints in the league that season so, without him, our stay in the top-flight would have been short-lived. His prowess in the air has been mentioned by others and they do not lie. He was, quite simply, the best header of a ball that I have ever seen. And that is how I want to remember him, in his heyday soaring at the far post in the red and white stripes. One of the true legends of Southampton Football Club and, if there is any justice, he must be added to the masthead of this site.

It was Saturday 13th May 1967 and Saints were playing Aston Villa in the last game of our first season in the top-flight. I stood in the Milton Road end and saw Ron score 4 goals in our 6-2 victory ( Martin Chivers scored the other 2). We stayed up and Villa were relegated. That night the club that I was playing for in the Southampton Senior league was holding its end-of-season awards' dinner and our guest of honour was Ron. Just 2 hours after the game at the Dell ended, Ron turned up bang on time, presented the awards and stayed chatting with us for the rest of the evening. He was one of the lads. I've still got the photographs with Ron from that evening, the cutting that appeared in the Echo and his prized signature.

He scored 37 goals in 41 appearances that season, playing for a team that finished 4th from bottom. In fact, his goal total represented exactly 50% of the goals scored by Saints in the league that season so, without him, our stay in the top-flight would have been short-lived. His prowess in the air has been mentioned by others and they do not lie. He was, quite simply, the best header of a ball that I have ever seen. And that is how I want to remember him, in his heyday soaring at the far post in the red and white stripes. One of the true legends of Southampton Football Club and, if there is any justice, he must be added to the masthead of this site.

And, ironically, as Ron Davies points out in the interview with him linked to in post #187, he scored all of those four goals against Villa with his feet!

When setting up the GITR website I contacted virtually every ex colleague of Rons from his time at the Dell and too a man they all really loved him as a person not to mention his ability on the pitch. It really was quite moving listening to them extol his many virtues. Of course he had a few vices; wine and women etc but who is perfect. I have heard so many great stories over the last few days it seems he really did mean a helluva lot to so many people of a certain age. I gather no relations have stepped forward yet to arrange a funeral, what a shame the fans could not give him a proper send off.

I don't believe this is correct Duncan as Tim mentioned above that it was one of Ron's daughters who contacted him to inform him of Ron's passing.

I told Tim of his passing. This is all a bit awkward as this daughter is not one of his official daughters if you get my drift. I will ring Tim tonight for an update but there is a guy in Vancouver who is a Saints fan who was asked by Ron to take care of the funeral arrangements. He has told us he will go to Albuquerque over the weekend to get things sorted. His name is Alan Turner. He spoke to Ron frequently over the last two years. I have a nos for him and I will ring at the end of the weekend for a progress report.

I told Tim of his passing. This is all a bit awkward as this daughter is not one of his official daughters if you get my drift. I will ring Tim tonight for an update but there is a guy in Vancouver who is a Saints fan who was asked by Ron to take care of the funeral arrangements. He has told us he will go to Albuquerque over the weekend to get things sorted. His name is Alan Turner. He spoke to Ron frequently over the last two years. I have a nos for him and I will ring at the end of the weekend for a progress report.

Fair enough. A bit odd that Tim would say that his daughter broke the news to him if it was in fact you , but I guess these things can get complicated.

At least we know there is someone going over there to sort out the arrangements.

Got thinking about the guy and he was a gentleman on and off the pitch except for one occassion at The Dell against Chelsea.

Ron "Chopper" Harris has kicked him all over the park, and from memory late in the 2nd half when Saints kicked towards the Milton Road end - the ball went wide out to the right (looking from the Archers) and Davies picked it up/controlled it. Then in comes Chopper Harris scything him down. Well Ron got up and without looking took Choppers legs from under him right under the refs nose! I seem to remember the whole crowd laughing - and I don't think Ron even got booked as the ref saw the funny side too.

Need less to say Chopper didn't go near Ron again!

My first game ever the Villa game 6-2 and we stayed up and Villa got relegated - well it was enough for me to keep going back for more...over the years not seen too many like that game though!

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})