Ron Davies 1942-2013

Gemmel

Best ever header of a ball,I have seen in 50 years of watching football. An absolute privilege,to have seen Ron playing for Saints in his absolute prime. R.I.P Ron and thank you for the joy you gave me in some of my formative years watching football. Andy

Totally at one with this tribute.....the best header of a ball I have ever seen... My personal favourite player of all time for Saints....

He headed the winner on my first visit to the Dell as a boy. That memory will be with me for ever, thank you Ron, RIP.

Same here. Winning goal against Stoke in January 1971. I was 9. Best header of a ball that I have ever seen. Sad news.

A player from before my time, but obviously one I've heard much about. R.I.P.

Excellent tribute on the OS by Bull and Holley...

Thanks - Christ if anything was ever written from the heart by me it was thus. He was my idol and I just wanted to BE him. Gots lots of emotions this evening but if you were a boy supporting Saints in the late 60s he was a true GOD. As the wall in the Polygon would testify RON IS KING

Truly sad day for those of us old enough to remember the golden days at the dell when we were growing up.

It was always Paine,Channon,Davies,O'Neill,Sydenham as a line up that made you think what a great side we had.

Big Ron lived in Pirie Close in Shirley during the sixties and seventies and we would often go round his house after school so he could show us his boots!

He always obliged and was happy to give his autograph and spend a few moments with any fan that knocked on his door.

A true gent and one of the all time Saints legends.

Such a bloody shame

Thanks - Christ if anything was ever written from the heart by me it was thus. He was my idol and I just wanted to BE him. Gots lots of emotions this evening but if you were a boy supporting Saints in the late 60s he was a true GOD. As the wall in the Polygon would testify RON IS KING

I know exactly how you feel mate. I am bemoaning the fact that I didn't make the effort to go and meet him. I had intended doing this.

As a kid stood on the Archers I can still see TP get some space down near the by-line by the St John's Ambulance bench and know when that cross went in there was a virtual certainty Ron would be there and we would score. Can't buy that these days.

Deeply saddened by the news. It is 50 years this October since my dad took me to The Dell for the first time, and Ron you were the best of all them.

RIP.

I started supporting Saints because of Ron. I was living in South Wales and looked through the old sticker albums to find a team to support (aged five). My Dad was called Ron so I was looking for a team with a Ron playing for them. I eventually found our Ron who was also Welsh and that was that. From that moment I was the oddball who supported Saints. My striped shirt attracted ridicule but I didn't care. My only encounter with Ron was when a load of us kids were down the beach in my home town. The Welsh team were stopping there and they were also on the beach. Suddenly Ron was spotted and I was thrust forward to ask for his autograph being a Saints fan (probably aged about seven by then). Ron signed everyone's autograph and was wonderful - I almost burst with pride that my Ron was the centre of attention. What a wonderful man.

Only just seen the news . Totally stunned I had the pleasure of watching him in my late teens what a star . Such a quiet unassuming guy but one mega superstar . He just seemed to hang in the air waiting for the ball to hit his head then in a split second. Would despatch it into the back of the net with aplomb . So many memories from a true legend . Thank you Big Ron and as the song goes on me head tommy . RIP

I started supporting Saints because of Ron. I was living in South Wales and looked through the old sticker albums to find a team to support (aged five). My Dad was called Ron so I was looking for a team with a Ron playing for them. I eventually found our Ron who was also Welsh and that was that. From that moment I was the oddball who supported Saints. My striped shirt attracted ridicule but I didn't care. My only encounter with Ron was when a load of us kids were down the beach in my home town. The Welsh team were stopping there and they were also on the beach. Suddenly Ron was spotted and I was thrust forward to ask for his autograph being a Saints fan (probably aged about seven by then). Ron signed everyone's autograph and was wonderful - I almost burst with pride that my Ron was the centre of attention. What a wonderful man.

Great story. RIP Ron!

It seems so sad that such a great player should pass away in possibly straightened circumstances in a trailer park far from home.

I sincerely hope he was happy in his last years and my condolences to his family.

What memories watching the video clip brought back, even though it was over forty years ago I remember the players like it was yesterday.

The array of forward talent on that day was incredible, watching Law, Charlton and Best also brought back memories of my time oop there at Uni.

It has been said before but I am absolutely certain that football has never seen a better header of the ball since the sixties.

I still remember Saints winning a corner and watching him and Chivers or Channon standing at the edge of the area running in and Paine placing the ball precisely and it rocketing in off Big Ron's head as hard as many kicks.

Thanks for the memories Ron and RIP.

I’m privileged to say that I saw Ron Davies play when I taken to see my first ever Division One game. It was at White Hart Lane in January 1970, and the Spurs team then was packed with stars, including Martin Chivers, Jimmy Greaves, Alan Gilzean, Martin Peters, Alan Mullery and Pat Jennings.

Saints won 1-0. The goal scored was scored by Davies – with a header, of course.

Ron Davies was a wonderful player, exciting to watch – direct, athletic and powerful but with the kind of skill and authority that was truly awesome. I became a Saints fan that day. He was badly missed the day he stopped playing for Southampton. RIP.

OMG, My Hero had passed. There have been some lovely words written on here about Ron and he deserves every accolade. He was IMHO quite simply the best player to pull on a Saints shirt EVER!. The word "Legend" seems to be given to every new kid on the block nowadays, many times inappropriately imho but Ron is often described as a "LEGEND" & rightly so. As a kid i was fortunate enough to see him play for Saints many times & if he was playing, as a fan you always knew Saints had a chance of winning. As a nipper i would playing football with a tennis ball, honing my skills so that one day i could be Ron Davies. It always went something like this Davies to Channon, Channon to Paine, Paine to Davies, GOOOOOOOOaaaaaaallllllllllll. My thoughts go out to his family.

There are many Story's i'd like to share, things i remember about Big Ron as a kid but i can't put them into words right now.

I'm totally gutted, my HERO has passed. R.I.P. Ron. Gone but never forgotten!

Indeed... Fortunate enough to have watched paine crossing and Big Ron heading them in, it was brilliant. RIP Ron

I've just been looking at my collection of Saints match programmes from the 60s. Of the nine programmes I have from the 1967-68 season, six of them feature a photo of Ron Davies on the cover scoring a goal with a header. He scored 28 goals in Division One that season, joint top-scorer with George Best.

ron-davies_pa_2576598b.jpg

It was Tijuana Tim. Very sad. Puts into perspective the gulf in wealth todays players have as opposed to the relatively modest money he earnt. So many memories. The left foot pile driver against Villa that rebounded from the stauncheon. The four at Chelsea and Man U as well as the winner the previous year at Man u. There was better header of the ball before or since and who could ever forget the bulllit of a goal from outside the box againast Notts Forest.Yes with his head !! A true gentle giant and talented artist as well.His cartoons regularly featured in the echo. Sad end by all accounts. But not forgotten.

My schoolboy hero and had the pleasure of sitting opposite him on a train coming back from the darkside one day and he had the biggest signet ring I have ever seen.

Ron was special he was fortunate to have 2 of the finest crossers of the ball but he was just simply magic in the air and the greatest centre forward I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

RIP Ron you were and will always will be my idol.

Horton posted

Declined all contact from ex players and supporters

. I thought in recent years some fans raised money to help Ron with having a medical intervention . My memory is somewhat hazy on this . Was he not in Southampton in the last couple of years . Perhaps Duncan can advise on this

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})