Ron Davies 1942-2013

Gemmel

Fair enough. A bit odd that Tim would say that his daughter broke the news to him if it was in fact you , but I guess these things can get complicated.

At least we know there is someone going over there to sort out the arrangements.

Update: Just spoken to a few people and it seems Ron's youngest daughter and another relative from the north-west have been in touch with the hospital which is good news. The family can now make all the necessary decisions I guess which is how it should be. Rgds Duncan

David Bull has just posted this elsewhere and I am sure he would not mind me posting it on here

Perhaps I could react to the messages re Ron, first with a thank-you and

then by commenting on one issue raised: the video;

THANKS Thank you to those who have been complimentary, on and

off List, re the tribute that Duncan and I composed for the website. For

my part, it would have been an abuse of privilege not to have assembled

suitable material, given that I had interviewed Ron and Siddie twice

each and Terry umpteen times. And Duncan could draw on the RON IS KING

story, his involvement in the Give-it-to-Ron campaign and the privilege

of sitting with Ron and Chris at the De Vere dinner for Ted Bates in 1998.

It shd be recorded that Duncan owed that privilege to his friend Kevin

Stevens, who had so generously sponsored Ron's trip, with Chris, from

Florida. It fell to Duncan to wake Ron - the bar had by then been open

for almost 12 hrs - to step up at midnight and present Ted Bates with a

signed blow-up of the wonderful caricature of Ted that he had drawn,

unsolicited, as a frontispiece for DELL DIAMOND. Paul Bennett, who had

organised the dinner, has just told me that the highlight of the evening

for him was Ron holding Ted in a headlock, as he made an unrehearsed

presentation speech. I was standing next to the two of them and swear

that it was the only way Ron was going to stay upright. Whatever, it was

quite something to see this great, great signing of Ted making this

impromptu speech as he threatened to squeeze Ted's head off. The good

nes is that stoical Ted liked the signed blow-up and a framed copy hung

thereafter on his landing at home

THE VIDEO My privileged interviews with Ron were both conducted in his

Florida home. On my 1st visit, he asked me if I could get a copy of the

video of his four goals at Old T. I rang Granada, but no joy. Then, on

the Monday after said dinner, Siddie bumped into Len Ashurst (with whom

he'd played for the U-23s) in the Dell carpark. Ashurst said he had a

copy of said video (dont ask me how or why). He duly sent a copy to

Siddie in Perth; he fwded a copy to Ron; and on my 2nd visit, we sat and

watched it.

This showing confirmed what I'd always thought from watching the game

live: somebody else had got a touch as one of Ron's three headers went

in. I was at the wrong end, but thought the last touch was Frank Saul's.

The video evidence shows that it was United's full-back (and later

Saint), Francis Burns, who was blatantly pushed in the back by Saul, as

he tried to clear. I recently rang Burns, who's also ended up in Perth,

and that's certainly how he remembers it. But Ron was having none of it

as we watched: it was HIS goal. What a Dubious Goals panel would have

made of it, goodness knows, but the record books tell us that Ron got

four that day and I'll continue to applaud that fact.

That's about all I know for now. I see the GUARDIAN has a good-size obit

of Ron today.

Thanks again David

PS The Independent also has an obit - Duncan

Like most Saints fans of my generation, he was my absolute hero.

I was 8 years old when he signed and went to most of the home games and quite a few away games that first season in the top flight with my late father.I saw his first goal for Saints, away at Blackpool and can still remember many more that season at Villa, West Ham, Leeds, Burnley, Spurs and Arsenal. The first time I saw the "Ron is King" line was on the back of a leather jacket worn by a fierce looking, long-haired individual, travelling on the "Football Special" train to the Bristol City FA Cup game that season. I was not allowed to get my own.

At that time Saints did their pre-season training at the BTC Ground, Stoneham Lane and, living next door, I was a member and was therefore one of the few that were allowed in whilst the entire playing staff tried to run off the summer's excesses. We were "employed" by Ron and Terry to be close to where they were and secretly pass on bottles of water whilst the management weren't looking. This led to looking after Ron's hip-flask whist he refereed charity matches during the winter. Any stops in play and I would be beckoned on just like the 12th men in cricket do now, except it wasn't Gatorade.

Like previous posters I was at Chelsea for his 4 in the 6-2 win. My Great Aunt had knitted me a scarf and that was its debut. Pity my Dad took me in The Shed by mistake and we stood by the corner flag trying not to look too pleased. I still wear that scarf to matches.

My favourite Ron goal was the diving header v. Wolves and it is now my avatar. I went to Wembley for the first time and supported Wales v. England as Ron was playing. He scored after about 5 mins but England won 2-1. I was at Old Trafford for the 4-1 and also saw him score there the previous season when we won 2-1 and they were European champions.

Another fond memory is him scoring both in a 2-0 win at home to Man City, which effectively stopped them winning the league. They were 2 great goals and the City fans we stood with in The Archers were moaning that they should have signed Ron, rather than wasting money on Rodney Marsh, who had just signed from QPR for big money.

When he came on as sub against Utd in 73, we all knew he was leaving and it was sad that he hardly got a touch whilst he was on. He did, of course, come back as a Skate and score a penalty. But as is done now, he didn't celebrate.

I loved the guy.

Edited by Lets B Avenue

If another poster has suggested this then please accept my apologies, surely after Ted Bates, then Big Ron must have a statue erected in his honour outside of St Mary's.

Not wishing to start a debate, but surely we would also need ones or Terry Paine and MLT too?

Fair enough. A bit odd that Tim would say that his daughter broke the news to him if it was in fact you , but I guess these things can get complicated.

At least we know there is someone going over there to sort out the arrangements.

Yeah, Dunc did actually send me a link and something he had written for a website, which he c/c'd several people. But as I said, I actually received the news from a phone call from Ron's daughter.

Have now spoken directly to a member of Ron's family. Both his daughter who lives in the States and his sister who lives in the NW of England have been in touch with the authorities in Albuquerque and are working something out between them. I have asked to be kept informed and if there is to be any ceremonies in this country I have asked that the fans will be given a chance to participate in some way. They are very touched by the reaction of the Saints fans. I am ringing back on Tuesday to get further updates.

Not wishing to start a debate, but surely we would also need ones or Terry Paine and MLT too?

I truly hope it is many, many years before we need to have such a debate about these two, or for that matter about Mick Channon who would be equally deserving. Notwithstanding Manure's tasteless tribute to SAF, normal etiquette/protocol for these things is for them to be erected when said person has passed on.

Does anyone else remember the Fairs Cup game against Vitoria Guimaraes played in a Thunder storm ? OG, Davies x 2 Channon Gabriel. 5-1 but 1-1 at half time if I remember correctly. Only 9 years old so memory may play tricks.

Ron Davies - big man in a big team!

Does anyone else remember the Fairs Cup game against Vitoria Guimaraes played in a Thunder storm ? OG, Davies x 2 Channon Gabriel. 5-1 but 1-1 at half time if I remember correctly. Only 9 years old so memory may play tricks.

Ron Davies - big man in a big team!

Certainly do, that was some night. So disappointing to go out to Newcastle on away goals in the next round without even losing a game.

Have now spoken directly to a member of Ron's family. ..

Keep us informed Dunc, lots of us here are interested..

PS: Regarding that fourth goal at OT: surely it would be given to him these days: it was going in and neither the defender or Saul really had anything to do with it...

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all the heartfelt memories left as I can pass them on to his daughter. Ron genuinely loved and adored Saints fans - he was the consummate 'fans' player, he always had time for all of us!!
Have read that Ron is expected to be cremated. No more fitting send off would be for Ron's ashes to be scattered on the pitch at St. Mary's. Sadly not the Dell but would signify that Ron would be in our midst forever. Following that I am certain a statue or at very least, a memorial plaque be erected at St Mary's will be the wish of every Saints fan.

Thank you Tim for all you did for Ron on Saints fans behalf and really delighted despite this sad moment to have you back posting again.

Keep us informed Dunc, lots of us here are interested..

PS: Regarding that fourth goal at OT: surely it would be given to him these days: it was going in and neither the defender or Saul really had anything to do with it...

Wasn't that the second goal?

And I read in a couple of places on this thread that the four goals at Old Trafford were all headers. Didn't he score the fourth with his feet (or one of them, at least!)

I can't see Mr Cortese going for the statue or stand renaming tribute but what about - with the family's consent of course - his ashes urn buried in the wall near the front entrance of SMS fronted with an appropriate

engraved brass plaque.An idea which would hopefully appeal to both the club, the family and the fan's.

I like the rest of the 50 somethings on this site was priveleged to see Ron in action throughout his career at the Dell. He was my first Saints hero and deserves a permanent memorial at the club.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})