Ron Davies 1942-2013

Gemmel

RIP Ron.

Big Ron, one of the few who really deserves the accolade of being considered an 'All time Great'.

Sad that he has passed away, and sad that the club won't be able to bring him over for a touchline appearance.

Edited by Badger

Well before my time but by all accounts one of the greatest players we ever had. RIP.

And before mine, but if (which you obviously have) you speak to people who watched him play, they all seem to break into a smile at his name and nod appreciatively at "Big Ron" as one of the best we've had.

Tim who posts on here, spent some time with him the States and (I think) ended up as good mates with him. When he was ill before, I am sure he was sent a copy of the thread, with Saints fans old and new wishing him the best.

And before mine, but if (which you obviously have) you speak to people who watched him play, they all seem to break into a smile at his name and nod appreciatively at "Big Ron" as one of the best we've had.

Truer than you could know if you're too young to have seen him. As a nipper I used to stand behind the goal in the wilton end, on my wooden box so I could actually see the game, and Big Ron thundering yet another header from Paine or Sydenhams crosses was a sight to behold. RIP big fella.

I was but a kid, but I count myself lucky enough to have seen him play.

Like most Saints-supporting kids of that age, he was my hero.

I was there in the flesh when he scored four at Stamford Bridge in a 6-2 win and in the same way Le Tissier almost single-handedly kept Saints up in some seasons, Ron's goals performed a similar feat in the early, fledgling days in the old First Division.

Although the win at Old Trafford was hailed as his greatest game, to really see his awesome power in the air, you need to see him in action for Wales in a 3-5 defeat to Scotland at Wrexham back in the 70s.

It is in the BBC archives somewhere, but I can't find it on Youtube anywhere.

And while he may have been noted for his aerial prowess, he was certainly no mug on the deck

A sad, sad day.

R.I.P. Ron. Never did see you play but have a memory of playing snooker with you at my Uncles one Boxing Day.

I always remember my Uncle telling me how he gave you lifts to games at The Dell. He drove around for a while with one of your Wales Shirts in the car. On giving it back you turned around and said you thought one of the Saints Players had nicked it.

Really Sad. RIP Ron. He was unbelievable in the air, Think of Andy Carroll and then add two feet, that's how high he could jump. He was a colossus, he would start his run ten yards out and head the ball way above everybody else. It wasn't as if he was that tall he just had an incredible leap and timing. I've never ever seen anybody that has come near before or since.

Totally gutted to read this sad news. Had been hoping Ron would have made it over to receive the Heroes welcome from the club he truly deserved. I was fortunate to have seen Ron play week in, week out, amazing and delighting the whole country with the goals he scored. As said above, Ron Davies was a real legend for our club, for Wales and the other clubs he played for. Few tarnished the history of Manchester United as Ron did. In retirement Ron suffered greatly in health and financial difficulties, both of which he didn't merit or deserve. Nowadays players don't live in fear of retirement as did players of yesteryear.

Ron Davies is a player who truly deserves a Statue at St Mary's and hope the club will afford Ron this posthumous recognition to all he did for us Saints.

Ron, you will be sorely missed. Rest in Eternal Peace. Condolences to loved ones left behind

White+Rose.jpg

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})