Emigrating?

St Chalet

We seem to have Saints fans from all over the world on here so I'd value your opinion on the do's and dont's when emigrating abroad.

My wife is South African and has expressed a desire to move back 'home' for a number of years. We have two kids and it really is time to stick or twist as the schooling system takes our eldest into Grade 1 as of January 2014.

We are relatively fortunate that I was able to buy a house down there which we own outright and also we can rent our pad in the UK without the need to pull out the capital. We probably have enough saved that we can just about live ok off interest and share dividends although I'd get bored and my missus can spend for fun. Given my nationality, ethnicity and the backwater I will be moving to it is unlikely that I will get a job anywhere near what I do not in London - but I am prepared to graft and start my own business which I am fairly sure I can do.

So a bit of background there. Everyone who has moved loving it? Also what to watch out for?

Good Luck and I hope all goes well for you St Chalet.

Over several years I have met some South Africans who have come to NZ

on holiday and they have said that they would love to move to NZ if they

could.They were happy to go back to SA. On the flip sign of the coin my wife

was born in Durban and she has never even thought of going back even for a

holiday. We have met some others from SA who have immigrated here and they

are so so pleased to have, in their words, "escaped".

Just shows that there are different views and that could apply to any country, some

love and some dislike said country all you can do is go and judge for yourself. As I said

I wish you good luck as I do to anyone who goes to another country, it's a massive step.

Moved here (Australia) because the dismal British weather wasn't good for my health, I was too lazy to learn a foreign language, and it was easier to come here than the US which would have been more geographically convenient.

Interestingly enough, there appears to be a huge amount of cashed-up South Africans over here in Queensland. They pretty much all say they would love to go back, but too dangerous (both financially and physically).

Homesickness was/is a big issue (but getting easier after 10 years).From my own financial perspective, I would have been far better off staying in the UK (assuming I still had a job), but I don't regret my decision as I think i have a far more enjoyable lifestyle.

I was with a mate of mine last night that has lived in London for 10 years as a trader, was about to move out to Dubai next week but he's backed out at the last minute. Personally, and I told him this last night, I think that's a good move. From what I've heard from an ex colleague (& from a bod or 2 on here actually) the streets aren't exactly paved with gold anymore, he wasn't offered any sort of relocation package so it seemed a big gamble.

Now the poor lad has to spend the next 3 months looking for a new job in the smoke based in his old box bedroom round his old dears having moved out his amazing flat in Islington.

Tough decision moving abroad, the people I know that have that I've gone and met basically spent my entire visit going on and on about what a great decision it was. I left thinking they were saying that to convince themselves.... Different reasons all round and seeing as your wife is from SA you'll be we'll set up there.

We seem to have Saints fans from all over the world on here so I'd value your opinion on the do's and dont's when emigrating abroad.

My wife is South African and has expressed a desire to move back 'home' for a number of years. We have two kids and it really is time to stick or twist as the schooling system takes our eldest into Grade 1 as of January 2014.

We are relatively fortunate that I was able to buy a house down there which we own outright and also we can rent our pad in the UK without the need to pull out the capital. We probably have enough saved that we can just about live ok off interest and share dividends although I'd get bored and my missus can spend for fun. Given my nationality, ethnicity and the backwater I will be moving to it is unlikely that I will get a job anywhere near what I do not in London - but I am prepared to graft and start my own business which I am fairly sure I can do.

So a bit of background there. Everyone who has moved loving it? Also what to watch out for?

I would never have thought that being a mod paid so well. Time to review the subscription fees I think,

This country sucks, it is really going down hill at a very rapid pace. If you get the chance, take it, never look back with regrets. I had the chance at Australia 25 years ago, as an exchange posting, and said no, regret it every winter. Now, one year short of 60, we have a visa pending, and if granted, we are so gone.

Mate of mine used to be a copper in Durban. His sole reason for moving over here is he did not want his kids being raised in such a violent country. Some of the things he saw and did as a copper over there sound like something you'd expect to hear from someone returning from Afghan.

Though obviously it would depend on where you're moving to in SA.

My advice for moving to and living in a foreign country:

1) Try and do what the locals do. Don't hang out too much in English pubs etc or obsess about getting marmite. If you want beans or marmite so much - stay at home. We have loads of it here.

2) Pull the local women if just for the experience.

3) Don't get aids or tell you wife about 2

4) Try and pick up the local language, the locals like it. In your case this will be a silly accent but it still might help.

5) Get sky sports or the equivalent as you will miss the football

6) Try and get interested in the local sport even if it is baseball. This will help you get over 5

7) Don't become a knob that is obsessed by the local stuff. I am sure funkygibbons cooked over a camel **** fire but you have to keep some home comforts and nobody likes a tryhard fan

8 ) Don't go on about how good it is. We don't care that the postman says hello or whatever. This saying hello will be the thing that you moan about when you do eventually move back.

9) play golf with aging minor celebs - this seems to work for phil.

10) Never ever ban me or bearsy

11) If 10 is not possible, starting modding on some local sport forum, even if it is baseball

Looked into possibility of moving to Dubai, Oz or New Zealand

I can get work reletively easily out there, its just whether I can be arsed to move, personally I dont think the wife will want to emigrate, even for a year, so short of leaving her behind or drugging her it looks like I have to put up with the UK

Obviously this post hasnt helped you at all

You should probably do it, if only for the experience and to keep your wife happy, but it is a violent country and the lifestyle / privileges for most white people is nothing like what it was 30 years ago, for obvious reasons.

You should probably do it, if only for the experience and to keep your wife happy, but it is a violent country and the lifestyle / privileges for most white people is nothing like what it was 30 years ago, for obvious reasons.

Damn Mandela for taking away those white people privileges...

:lol:

It was so much better in the good old days when you could have a man flogged just for the colour of his skin and the look in his eyes. eh Tim?

Black people also used to make excellent scapegoats. It's more difficult to pass your crimes off these days. Just making the OP aware, as this will undoubtedly affect his decision.

Black people also used to make excellent scapegoats. It's more difficult to pass your crimes off these days. Just making the OP aware, as this will undoubtedly affect his decision.

St Chalet is Oscar Pistorius ?

South Africa has a horrific crime rate, especially violent crime, but I would actually be put off by the enormous proportion of the population that have HIV or AIDS, currently over 17%, easily the highest in the world and they're only just getting to grips with slowing the acceleration, not slowing the spread down, but just slowing the acceleration. Nearly half of all deaths in SA are due to HIV and AIDS. I'd be paranoid about my family or I getting any kind of injury that involved blood, I'd even be afraid of undergoing any kind of hospital procedure when its that pervasive. Definitely not a place I'd be interested in even visiting, but each to their own.

Also, corruption is endemic, the result of one party moving rapidly from being a freedom fighter group into being a dominant political party, with no serious challenger. Even Desmond Tutu no longer supports the ANC.

As for emigration itself, well I've never looked back and the only thing I miss nowadays is family. When you live in the UK, you start to believe all the "best country in the world" stuff, but a short time living abroad and you see things a bit differently, but I suppose it all depends on where you go and if there's anything to help you settle in, like a partner from that country.

I suppose every country looks different from the outside and maybe the people of South Africa also think they live in the best country in the world.

Aren't we lucky that there are so many countries in the world that we can emigrate to? I wouldn't ever want to leave the UK - this is where my family and my life are but I can well understand people looking to improve their lot, whether that's by moving out of the UK or moving in to it.

My daughter is married to an SA guy and lives in Cape Town !

They have a great lifestyle and (we go there every year) it really is pretty safe in my experience !

If you want to get in touch with her for proper advice then send me an PM !

:lol:

It was so much better in the good old days when you could have a man flogged just for the colour of his skin and the look in his eyes. eh Tim?

I agree its a loss, but you need to move with the times Tokes. Black people have rights too you know. :D

What was getting at, and I have sneaking suspicion you might have guessed this you wag - is that the reputation in the UK of South Africa as a fantastic place to emigrate to was largely built up over decades (or generations) of an artificially high standard of living - guaranteed job, big house, servants etc - on the back of subjugating the majority. Clearly that doesn't apply anymore.

See that Kenyan guy with mental eyes

He might be totally normal, you can't generalize

Black people aren't crazy, fat people aren't lazy

Oh dayo, dayo, dayo, me say dayo

Biddly biddly biddly biddly biddly biddly bong yo...

Don't worry Tim, we get it ;)

Do you have any questions or concerns Chalet? Come and tell uncle Tokyo & golfing Phil. We will be able to help you more directly then instead of just guessing what you may or may not like. Well done not needing to work anymore. I guess fiver mountain is pretty big these days?

Also you might like this http://www.expatinfodesk.com/expat-guide/deciding-on-the-right-country/top-expatriate-destinations/south-africa/

Edited by Tokyo-Saint
added link for kindness and for the lols of outing delldays

I would actually be put off by the enormous proportion of the population that have HIV or AIDS, currently over 17%, Nearly half of all deaths in SA are due to HIV and AIDS.

Really?

17% of the population have AIDS, yet 50% of the population die from it!

Either you've made those statistics up or someone from Portsmouth did ;)

Aren't we lucky that there are so many countries in the world that we can emigrate to? I wouldn't ever want to leave the UK - this is where my family and my life are but I can well understand people looking to improve their lot, whether that's by moving out of the UK or moving in to it.

Not as lucky as people who want to move to the uk, regardless of if they're allowed to or not. They've got it made.

Really?

17% of the population have AIDS, yet 50% of the population die from it!

Either you've made those statistics up or someone from Portsmouth did ;)

I get the feeling you haven't really thought that through. Up to 47% of all deaths each year in South Africa are as a result of HIV/AIDS, on average 17% carry the virus. Lots of people die of other things, but a large proportion die of AIDS. Not "50% of the population die of it", but 47% of people dying are dying of it.There's nothing contradictory in those stats.

http://www.avert.org/aidssouthafrica.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_South_Africa

Plenty of information out there about this. It's an openly discussed probem. The next countries down on the list are the countries that border South Africa.

South Africa has a horrific crime rate, especially violent crime, but I would actually be put off by the enormous proportion of the population that have HIV or AIDS, currently over 17%, easily the highest in the world and they're only just getting to grips with slowing the acceleration, not slowing the spread down, but just slowing the acceleration. Nearly half of all deaths in SA are due to HIV and AIDS. I'd be paranoid about my family or I getting any kind of injury that involved blood, I'd even be afraid of undergoing any kind of hospital procedure when its that pervasive. Definitely not a place I'd be interested in even visiting, but each to their own.

Also, corruption is endemic, the result of one party moving rapidly from being a freedom fighter group into being a dominant political party, with no serious challenger. Even Desmond Tutu no longer supports the ANC.

As for emigration itself, well I've never looked back and the only thing I miss nowadays is family. When you live in the UK, you start to believe all the "best country in the world" stuff, but a short time living abroad and you see things a bit differently, but I suppose it all depends on where you go and if there's anything to help you settle in, like a partner from that country.

I suppose every country looks different from the outside and maybe the people of South Africa also think they live in the best country in the world.

Yep the politics is a worry, however not to bothered about contracting HIV as I don't plan on bobbing anyone who isn't my wife and the blood transfusion thing they haven't had an issue since 2000. The crime rates where we are planning to move to are significantly better than Joberg or Cape Town, probably on a par with Reading :lol:

My daughter is married to an SA guy and lives in Cape Town !

They have a great lifestyle and (we go there every year) it really is pretty safe in my experience !

If you want to get in touch with her for proper advice then send me an PM !

I have been coming here for the last 10 or so years and actually crime isn't even a consideration TBH.

Looked into possibility of moving to Dubai, Oz or New Zealand

I can get work reletively easily out there, its just whether I can be arsed to move, personally I dont think the wife will want to emigrate, even for a year, so short of leaving her behind or drugging her it looks like I have to put up with the UK

Obviously this post hasnt helped you at all

Relive the first date??

This country sucks, it is really going down hill at a very rapid pace. If you get the chance, take it, never look back with regrets. I had the chance at Australia 25 years ago, as an exchange posting, and said no, regret it every winter. Now, one year short of 60, we have a visa pending, and if granted, we are so gone.

Hey EVERYBODY! We've found out! We've found out why Gingeletiss is, well, you know. Now to find out the dreadfully embittering backstories of CB Fry, Turkish, alpine_saint, hypochondriac...

When you live in the UK, you start to believe all the "best country in the world" stuff, but a short time living abroad and you see things a bit differently

So you now live in Norway and have started to believe all the "best country in the world" stuff about Norway? You sound like an idiot, mate. Clearly England is better than Norway. How would you know that England isn't the best country in the world if you don't even live here?

I wouldn't listen to this clown - the opinion of a Norwegian nationalist counts for nothing.

Grey Crab please tell us all about your many personal experiences that allow you to say:- "Clearly England is better than Norway."

The two best things to come out of Norway are Christmas trees and A-HA.

FACT.

Grey Crab please tell us all about your many personal experiences that allow you to say:- "Clearly England is better than Norway."

You mean the first 10 years of my life, being tossed from foster parent to foster parent, each one with their own fun little abusive peccadillo? My favourite had to be Agneta and Joachim, who used to flick lit cigarettes at my head. It was only when I was rescued by Barnardos and brought to England that my life began. My English foster parents were aspirational and caring. I am now a successful lawyer with a charity foundation in my name.

You mean the first 10 years of my life, being tossed from foster parent to foster parent, each one with their own fun little abusive peccadillo? My favourite had to be Agneta and Joachim, who used to flick lit cigarettes at my head. It was only when I was rescued by Barnardos and brought to England that my life began. My English foster parents were aspirational and caring. I am now a successful lawyer with a charity foundation in my name.

Full kudos to you for being able to ensure a terrible start hasn't meant a terrible middle (and hopefully) end. Not easy to do.

There is no 'right' objective answer to which is the best country. Its all down to personal experience, preferences and chance. There are many places I'd like to spend extended periods of time, but nowhere I'd rather be permanently than England.

I lived in and around Cape Town for 4 years in the early '80s. Obviously that was during apartheid, so I have no clue about what it is like today. At that time, if one could ignore the obvious elephant in the room, it was a marvelous place. Absolutely beautiful with loads to do. In fact, the wife dragged my ass home because I was a lot younger and having way too much fun out there.

Although the crime rate was bad at that time too, I never really noticed it. I have to admit though that I would worry about it if I were moving back. Just like anywhere though, you have to be sensible about where you go........Hell, I'd go back to Cape Town in a heart beat. Who am I kidding?

Spend a lot of time in Cape Town as my wife is from there and we will most likely move there at some point. Need to get set up here a little more though because as Chalet says, I most likely won't get the salary and benefits I get here.

Cape Town is an excellent place to live, the weather and lifestyle is incredible and there is loads of footy on the telly. Always felt very safe there and you can avoid trouble very easily by using a bit of common sense. I grew up in Millbrook which feels like a much more dangerous place to be than the parts of SA I have been to. Don't know too much about Durban though. I'm sure it's very differen't.

I'm a South African(boer) from the cape (visit regular),and too me its got in a worse state in the last 4 years than ever.I know lots of south africans coming here, even in the state we are in. And i get the same story from them all. The Violence and the black first, work rule. And the lack of unemployment benefits, have created lots of white ghetto's. Where people(men,women and kids) are literally eating roots and leaves to survive. But this is the SA you dont hear about,or dont want to. As Mandela being sick is more news-worthy!! Sorry SA is a no-no for me...

Just a little lite reading before you make a decision. And no its not racist! ITS THE HIDDEN TRUTH!! http://www.thetruthaboutsouthafrica.com/p/white-genocide-in-south-africa.html

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

I moved to Montpellier, southern France in 1973. I have used it since as my European home base, originally for tax, unemployment and pensions possibilities. The UK holds many reasons to steer clear once you live abroad.

Over the years I lived and worked in more than 20 countries, many not contributing to unemployment or pension, yet retained my home base for when I was unemployed, holidays, and in between jobs. The French government take these periods into consideration unlike the UK when paying unemployment and pensions. Reaching retirement I have been able to centralise my pension, received full medical and social benefit. These are considerations you have to make for the future of your family if moving overseas. Check for any co-operation over pension etc between South African companies and European companies.

Full kudos to you for being able to ensure a terrible start hasn't meant a terrible middle (and hopefully) end. Not easy to do.

There is no 'right' objective answer to which is the best country. Its all down to personal experience, preferences and chance. There are many places I'd like to spend extended periods of time, but nowhere I'd rather be permanently than England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

The 'right' objective answer is Norway. ;-)

You wouldn't go for a drive in South Africa without being clear about where you were going, or through where you were driving. Just in case you were unable to drive home again on account of having lost your car. Or your money. Or your head. Dangerous country, chock full of bandits. And Lions. That's why Aussie is full of Saffers. They told me.....

You wouldn't go for a drive in South Africa without being clear about where you were going, or through where you were driving. Just in case you were unable to drive home again on account of having lost your car. Or your money. Or your head. Dangerous country, chock full of bandits. And Lions. That's why Aussie is full of Saffers. They told me.....

What's it like for a holiday? Guided tour, that sort of thing.

You have to weigh up the pros and cons. However, it is a VERY violent country. I've worked with numerous South Africans, and they have all lost friends/relatives to either car accidents or violent crime. I met one guy in Dubai who had been carjacked 3 times, shot twice, mauled by a lion, and had a concrete block dropped on his head. The concrete block incident was the most serious because it is almost always fatal. Miraculously, he came to and staggered to a farmhouse, where he was set upon by the white farmer's dogs!! At the hospital his workers were queuing at his bedside to get their wages. A good friend of mine (who is of Greek heritage) told me a story of when his brother was kidnapped by redneck Afrikaners as they wanted to shoot him. They 'assumed' he was a man of the wrong colour until he told them he actually went to an Afrikaans school. On the flip side, you can have a very nice life there, but there is always that lingering doubt that something untoward might happen to you.