John Barnes goal v Brazil

Hedgehog

Keep on hearing how good that goal was, have seen it a few times, and am I alone in thinking it wasn't as great as it's made out to be?

He ran in a straight line, hardly dribbling round any players, and not one tackle went in. I was under the impression he had taken on the whole of the Brazilian team twisting and turning avoiding tackles etc.

No, it was brilliant, even if it wasn't as good as your brain expected it to be. The main reason a tackle didn't go in was because he put most of the players he went past off-balance before he even got to them.

My dad shouted his name out to acknowledge his existence outside the Stade de France for Scotland v Brazil, opening game at the 1998 World Cup. We didn't have a ticket, didn't get in and nearly got mugged by some locals purporting to have a ticket to sell... I bet he didn't.

That's all I've got. I was there to see him score that mental bending goal against Villa at Anfield that was on the MotD titles in the late 80s/early 90s with his number 10 shirt to the camera and Ian Rush(?) doing a little dance and hugging him too, but that's even less interesting. :D