Sport gambling research

theacademic

I am conducting some research around gambling and gambling habits and would appreciate it if you could spare 2 minutes to complete my survey. The survey is anonymous and thanks in advance for your time: http://www.topfan.co.uk

well I started but didn't get far because there's not a "never bet a bent halfpenny in my life" box. Mugs game.

How reliable would you consider the data collected from random (?) responses which have been solicited on the internet?

Probably as reliable as any other postal/stop in the street/internet forum survey! It'll only be an indication of habits, besides, get enough responses and the oddball response will be diluted.

Its not even random, its a self selecting sample from a football forum. Even first year students are taught not to do that

I even did that as part of Quantitative Methods for Social Scientists when I was doing a Politics degree (first year was nonsense nothing to do with politics stuff to pad the course out...) amusingly it didn't actually feature in any of my National Statistics-sponsored training when it was actually part of my job to be involved with questionnaire design though.

• 3 weeks later...