Saints players NEVER gaining full cap..

NickG

As the premier league moves towards so many teams having full internationals across their teams, talk of our players bring omitted etc - wondered...

Who do you think was best player (when playing for saints) who never received full cap?

If they carry on playing well without a cap then Morgan and Lambert will be up there.

In my time

Peach

Marsden

Cockerill

Monkou

Dennis

Rod wallace

Holmes

All good players but, unless I'm forgetting someone obvious, Jimmy Case?

Marsden became a bit of cult hero, but to suggest he anywhere near good enough or close to getting a call up, is stretching a bit........ Having said that there will probably be people who say the same at my shout - Matt Oakley

Marsden became a bit of cult hero, but to suggest he anywhere near good enough or close to getting a call up, is stretching a bit........ Having said that there will probably be people who say the same at my shout - Matt Oakley

I always rated Matt Oakley too, a lot of fans seemed to think he was crap though, probably because he didn't run around a lot which seems to be a vital quality to have to be a fans favourite.

I always rated Matt Oakley too, a lot of fans seemed to think he was crap though, probably because he didn't run around a lot which seems to be a vital quality to have to be a fans favourite.

He had one season where he was playing well enough to get a call up, very good player.

Golac

I thought Golac but saw he had one cap.

Oakley should be on list.

Still Case for me so far. Amazing when you also include his Liverpool record...

4 league titles

Eufa cup

4 charity shields

3 European cups

European super cup

Plus various finals

He had one season where he was playing well enough to get a call up, very good player.

The FA cup final season, 2 goals v Millwall IIRC. Excellent player. Unusual cultured style for an English midfielder; not running around like a headless idiot thinking that makes you good but sometimes dictating games with quality thoughtful movement.

As the premier league moves towards so many teams having full internationals across their teams, talk of our players bring omitted etc - wondered...

Who do you think was best player (when playing for saints) who never received full cap?

If they carry on playing well without a cap then Morgan and Lambert will be up there.

In my time

Peach

Marsden

Cockerill

Monkou

Dennis

Rod wallace

Holmes

All good players but, unless I'm forgetting someone obvious, Jimmy Case?

Holmes is the one who stands out there for me.

Steve Moran?

Interesting story with Moran if my memory serves me correctly. Called up to the England team to play Scotland in 1984, but pulled out as he was best man at his brother's wedding same day as the match. Crocked soon after and never called up again after that. His replacement in the England squad that day...Gary Lineker...

Interesting story with Moran if my memory serves me correctly. Called up to the England team to play Scotland in 1984, but pulled out as he was best man at his brother's wedding same day as the match. Crocked soon after and never called up again after that. His replacement in the England squad that day...Gary Lineker...

I had a similar memory but I thought it was the tour of South America where Barnes scored the great goal (that was almost as good as marsden v Ipswich) and mark Haytley grabbed his spot.

being " good enough " to get a cap, also means you have to be better than the fella' who's got that spot at present...and that's a lot harder.....it's down to the manager and the "media pressure"

.and to be fair, playing well for Saints doesn't necessarily qualify you to play for ( England / your country).

Especially difficult for foreign players in England (unless they're really world-class), the manager will most often select " domestic players " first. Ask yourself why is Morgan is not in the French squad?........

However, I wouldn't want to argue that (anyone) on the OP list didn't play exceptionally well for large parts of their career, but that doesn't always mean they get selected.

If it did ....the likes of MLT and Beattie would have had lots more caps.

Edited by david in sweden

Interesting story with Moran if my memory serves me correctly. Called up to the England team to play Scotland in 1984, but pulled out as he was best man at his brother's wedding same day as the match. Crocked soon after and never called up again after that.

His replacement in the England squad that day...Gary Lineker...

........and the rest ...as they say .. .is History!

Indeed it is David. Sad as Moran was a great player for Saints in the early 80s, anything around the box and it was in the back of the net - little dynamo. I was there for this one, typical of the player - http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=j5-ZPTbRAGg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dj5-ZPTbRAGg

and the other "sad " thing was that Steve ended up with ......just 99 goals in 217 apps+12 subs for Saints. Almost 0,50 goals /games -a fantastic average. He certainly deserved a place in the 100 club, if anyone did.