Fifa 14

100% Saint

FIFA 14 and it's features. Precision Movement, Protect The Ball, Pure Shot, Teammate Intelligence, Real Ball Physics and Global Transfer Network. To read about these features look on http://www.easports.com/uk/fifa/fifa14/xbox360. The average price seems to be around £40 for both the current generation consoles and £35 for PC. Next generation consoles about £50. The trailer is as always, just a small montage of the "New Features".

Also what ratings/colour fut cards do you think our players will be next season? IMO SRL Gold, Lallana same, Ramirez same, Shaw silver shiney/gold shiney, Dejan 80 shiney, Artur Boruc gold etc. Our team on FIFA 14 should be pretty good and if it isn't I would be surprised. :smug:

I do some data reviewing for Saints on FIFA - am able to put forward upgrades or downgrades per attribute for our players, although I can't directly update them myself. Many people seem to concentrate on players' overall ratings but that's just calculated from their other stats.

If anybody has any suggestions (with statistical proof and/or links to back it up) I'm happy to put them forward to the editors. Was able to get Schneiderlin's stats significantly improved throughout last season because he performed so consistently well.

Edited by ant

To be fair every fifa this gen has been different.

Simple changes change the game to the point you can't go back to the other one. If you get a chance go back and play Fifa 10 when the new engine came in and the game is sooooo different.

Prior to this gen I would agree with you 100% about fifa but this time around I don't. It deserves the high scores and sales it get's.

This will be the last version for this gen so not sure if it is worth just waiting for the new ps4/x1 version. Having already seen that running I can't wait. Just so happy they have got rid of the ****ty crowds and done them properly.

I do some data reviewing for Saints on FIFA - am able to put forward upgrades or downgrades per attribute for our players, although I can't directly update them myself. Many people seem to concentrate on players' overall ratings but that's just calculated from their other stats.

If anybody has any suggestions (with statistical proof and/or links to back it up) I'm happy to put them forward to the editors. Was able to get Schneiderlin's stats significantly improved throughout last season because he performed so consistently well.

Puncheon's strength should be much higher.

• 4 weeks later...

More features of Ultimate Team have been released:

There are no more formation cards so you can freely experiment with your formation.

There are added player styles which affect attributes say if you have Finisher on say Rickie Lambert it will improve his heading and shooting, maybe for Morgan you could have shadow which improves defending and pace, and put engine which improves pace, passing and dribbling on Clyne or Shaw. Single games have been re-introduced after it's brief absence from Fifa 13. Also player name search has now been introduced by popular demand but may make price fixing more of a re-occurring problem. The divisions have been extended from 5 to 10 divisions to make it a more level playing field. Another new feature for UT is loyalty, players found in packs start with a loyalty chemistry boost, but those bought from the market don't. But those players can play 10 matches then become loyal. Yet another new feature to UT is that you'll be able to change squad numbers and set-piece takers from the squad screen. In other Fifa 14 news Gareth Bale is to star along side Messi on the cover.

fifa_14_bale.jpg

Love all the new UT features as this is basically the only game mode that I bother playing. Something needs to be done about the handicap system and the way pace seems to dominate anything.

If I can afford a 1m coin team it SHOULD be beating a bronze team etc no handicap req as the match making system will even it out

It's an interesting idea to combat exploitation of specific players but the implementation will be key.

Sadly unless EA fix the core gameplay, it'll likely only end up causing everybody to pick whichever chemistry style affords the biggest pace increase. Then you can watch in despair as your technically balanced side is torn apart time and again by a pace abuser that just uses diagonal through balls humped over the top. Fully agree that the handicapping system needs to go.

I hate when people use players like Esswein, get all the way to the goalie and pass it to there best shooter. Also some people think it's scripting or longer minutes but I don't care what it is I just want out with so many goals being scored in the last 2 minutes of each half, it is just so annoying. So who is going to buy FIFA 14 out of you lot on here? I will.

From the trailer I've seen Yoshida is going to be a shiny 72 rated silver but they might update his stats but is unlikely, also I have heard (maybe) that Shaw is going to be a shiny 73 rated silver. :D

Looking at the database now, I don't think any of the pre-FIFA 14 big updates have been done yet so I wouldn't count on anything. Last year the stats all changed a couple of weeks prior to FIFA 13's release.

• 2 weeks later...
Surely Shaw can be near 80 this time? Lambert should be and Osvaldo already was. Morgan, Wanyama, Lovren and Clyne should all be 80 really. Be a good team hopefully.

If they have a choice of a high rated silver or a low rated gold I suspect a lot of them will be silvers. Shaw will be silver IMO, Mayuka still, JWP maybe ?

Lambert will be gold etc

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't played the demo yet, but I'm holding out for the next-gen version anyway which is meant to be vastly superior.

One and PS4 use a completely brand new game engine. And it comes free with the Xbox One too.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

• 2 weeks later...
First thoughts from those playing? Much different to 13?

I've been playing it since closed Beta. I actually prefer it. It is slowed right down and therefore eliminates everyone who just sprints all over the place and doesn't use skill.

The ball physics are really good now and it just feels more refined. Apart from that (and that you can shield the ball), there isn't many big changes in the gameplay but it's all a lot more refined - oh and Jeff Stelling introduces the game now!

Ultimate Team

- They have taken out the formation cards now, so it give you a lot more chance to play around and test formations, rather than have to buy a whole team overpriced cards just to test them. They have increased the amount of formations too

- There is a new loyalty part in it now. Basically if you buy a player it takes 10 games for him to be 'loyal' to your club, which further increases chemistry. If you get them from packs though they are automatically loyal

- For managers, you can buy cards to change their league. Ie you can change Wenger to be BBVA

When searching for players on the transfer market you can compare the price of the player you're looking at to other ones for sale of the same player, so you can check if there's a cheaper one listed

Career mode

-For the player career mode it seems exactly the same as FIFA 13. It could change though as I have only played a little bit.

-Manager mode has been revamped. The whole UI has changed it's look and seems more polished

-Also in manager mode, they have introduced a scouting system. Similar to other games -send your scout out to a country, ask him to look for (eg) a striker, who's fast and they scout for you

-The thing I have found frustrating in career mode now though is when just searching yourself as you used to, they have taken the ratings out of the main screen and the price too. For more well known players, if you click on them they have their rating and price but most do not, so you have to send out a scout to get more info. The most annoying aspect about this then is when searching for players there is no real way they are sorted apart from their name.

On the whole though, I really like the way it seems to be slowed down (tip guys, if you get annoyed about slow turning player, press LB to make it faster) and it just seems that much more realistic.

Hope that helps everyone

Have you played as Saints much? How are they on there?

Yeah played as Saints in seasons. Lambert seems a bit slow but Osvaldo, Lallana, Boruc Clyne and Shaw are all good.

Here's the squad ratings (4 star):

Boruc 75

Clyne 73

Fonte 72

Lovren 78

Shaw 70

Wanyama 74

Schneiderlain 77

Rodriguez 69

Ramirez 80

Lallana 78

Osvaldo 80

Lambert 76

Cork 74

Fox 69

Ward-Prowse 70

Mayuka 71

Chambers 63

S. Davis 73

Yoshida 72

K. Davis 71

Trying to print the Saints PS3 cover out for my kids but coming up too small...

Any ideas for an old fella who doesn't much get on with printers, I promised my kids thinking its a simple job but now I'm looking stupid..

I had issues too so I printed directly from acrobat reader, made sure the page setup was for landscape A4, made sure my printer setup was for A4 not letter and that did the trick for me.

I had issues too so I printed directly from acrobat reader, made sure the page setup was for landscape A4, made sure my printer setup was for A4 not letter and that did the trick for me.

Cracked it with the help of acrobat reader, thanks..

Been struggling away with a new windows 8 laptop last few weeks, once I installed that it all looked familiar and I could adjust the settings accordingly..

What happened to St Mary's? I thought we were promised our own ground this time! :(

Just some dicks who spread bs rumours I'm afraid. Suppose there is a chance of being in the next gen version but I doubt it.

That is not SMS behind yoshida it is generic Molton park.

Anyone else finding the career mode menus annoyingly slow?

Yup, particularly Team Management.

I'm currently playing career mode with Saints on World Class. In my second season.

First season I signed, Victor Andrade, Allione, Cardozo, Dursin and Bakkali with the £8.5m they gave me to spend, plus £4.1m I got for Rickie Lambert.

I played 433 for the majority of the season:

--------------Boruc----------------

Clyne-----Fonte---Lovren-----Shaw

-------Wanyama--Schneiderlin-----

Bakkali---Ramirez/Allione-----Lallana

-------------Osvaldo--------------

I got to the quarter finals of both cups, finding that the games got tougher the further I progressed. I also found this in the last 8 or so league games. The AI just seemed harder; maybe it was psychological. Anyway, I won the PL on the last day of the season. I was 2 points behind United going into the last game, which was against them. I was 3-2 down in the 89th minute. Lallana teared down the left wing and forced a corner, which Lovren headed in to equalise. Straight from kick-off Bakkali pressured Kagawa who had received the ball wide left, won it off of him and slotted in Osvaldo one on one with de Gea. The 'keeper made some kind of worldy save but Lallana was on hand to tap in the winner in the 93rd minute to win me the league. This got me £13.5m.

The board gave me a budget of £100k for wages and £20m to spend. I sold Lallana for £12.5m to Newcastle and Osvaldo to Barcelona for £11.5m. I also sold most of the reserves.

Notable signings were Benteke for £8m plus Gaston and Lukaku for £15m. Begovic arrived on a free.

I now line-up in a 424 formation.

----------------------Begovic 83-------------------------

Clyne 77-----Lovren 81----------Dier 77----------Shaw 73

--------------Wanyama 79--Schneiderlin 81--------------

Bakkali 79------Lukaku 78----Benteke 86------Osvaldo* 77

Rekik 73

Goretzka 75

JWP 75

Mayuka 76

Maher 77

Meyer 70

Depay 73

* This is the Brazilian Osvaldo from Sao Paulo.

Shaw plays better than his rating, but seemingly is progressing slowly. Word of advice, sign Bakkali straight away for £3.5m and also Elber from Cruziero. His price jumped from £900k to £19m from season 1 to 2.

It's a shame as I loved career mode in last years one, but I really don't like the way they have masked attributes on this one. Yes I know it is more realistic, but at least on FM for example you could sort by price..... this one you can't (unless I am missing something?). So now I just play Ultimate team and seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only noticed today that they've taken out offline tournament mode and guest play in online games on next gen. Seriously, what the ****? The best part of FIFA was getting your mates round and playing a tournament with them! I guess they don't want to give people the ability to make a World Cup when they will inevitably have a Brazil 2014 game coming out.

The most annoying thing is that these features still exist on the PS3/Xbox 360 versions. I guess I was stupid to think that the PS4 version would be an upgrade, not a downgrade.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good news for Ultimate Team fans. As well as having Lovren and Lallana feature twice in the weekly In-Form squads (Rodriguez snuck in there too before he got injured), two of our players have made the 'Most Consistent' Team of the Season squads.

Schneiderlin is in the Gold one and Shaw made the Silver one.