Wimbledon 2013

Julian H. Cope

What personality ?

He's a professional tennis player not a professional personality which is a pretty shallow career to follow in my opinion.

I do hope in your career Mr. Alpine Saint you are not judged on your personality rather than your worth in the job you do.

I'm guessing that your colleagues would have a pretty low opinion of your personality, as do most of the posters on this forum.

David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood for winning Wimbledon. F*ck off...

I don't see why a response that aggressive is warranted! People get knighthoods for sporting achievements all the time, and Andy Murray is a very successful sportsman who has pretty much dedicated his whole life to the pursuit of tennis working ridiculously hard in the process (and brining joy to many people!). If Bradley Wiggins deserved a knighthood, so does Andy Murray.

I think it's dumb, they hand out them knighthoods too easily + it makes them less special. They give Savile one just for fiddling kids! If i ever get to be Queen, and I wouldn't rule it out, ur gonna have to kill a dragon or something!

David Cameron says Andy Murray deserves a knighthood for winning Wimbledon. F*ck off...

Like it or not, Murray is now hot political property in the run up to the Jock's vote on independence, and the various parties will all want to be seen close to him. Alex Salmond in particular.

I don't see why a response that aggressive is warranted! People get knighthoods for sporting achievements all the time, and Andy Murray is a very successful sportsman who has pretty much dedicated his whole life to the pursuit of tennis working ridiculously hard in the process (and brining joy to many people!). If Bradley Wiggins deserved a knighthood, so does Andy Murray.

Like Bearsy said (kinda) - knighthoods are given out way too easily nowadays. I don't really think winning a sporting tournament should put you on the same level as say famous military commanders or people who have dedicated their entire lives to a cause.

Like Bearsy said (kinda) - knighthoods are given out way too easily nowadays. I don't really think winning a sporting tournament should put you on the same level as say famous military commanders or people who have dedicated their entire lives to a cause.

Andy Murray has dedicated his whole life to a cause - moving away from home at 12 years old in an attempt to becoming the best at what he does in the world. That's one hell of a sacrifice to make, and fair play because it's paid off for him....and there's probably more to come.

Why shouldn't a sporting career be viewed the same was as a "famous military commander". Murrays success has bought joy to millions of people across the UK by doing something that no British player has done in a generation (and at a time in which arguably 3 of the best players of all time are his competition)- I'd say that's worth a shot at a knighthood!

(the photo is cringeworthy though, I'll admit!)

Andy Murray has dedicated his whole life to a cause - moving away from home at 12 years old in an attempt to becoming the best at what he does in the world. That's one hell of a sacrifice to make, and fair play because it's paid off for him....and there's probably more to come.

Why shouldn't a sporting career be viewed the same was as a "famous military commander". Murrays success has bought joy to millions of people across the UK by doing something that no British player has done in a generation (and at a time in which arguably 3 of the best players of all time are his competition)- I'd say that's worth a shot at a knighthood!

(the photo is cringeworthy though, I'll admit!)

Fair play for his dedication - but playing tennis isn't exactly a "cause" is it? Not when you've got people who work for 50 or 60 years on charitable causes, or people who explore the globe, trailblazers in arts, revolutionary scientists and thinkers...

Put Andy Murray next to, say, Sir Tim Berners-Lee. That's a man who has helped to completely revolutionise global culture and the way we do things. He's improved global quality of life exponentially by giving people access to information and tools that they could have never accessed before. These are the type of people that should be awarded the highest honour, not Andy Murray because he was the least sh!t British tennis player in the last 77 years. Not to say that he's not a great sportsman - far from it. He's a decent and clean-living role model in our vacuous celebrity culture so that's great, but a knight of the realm? Leave it out.

Tell them what?

Tell the hoardes of Murray fans in centre court/henman hill dressed in countless Union Jack costumes that Andy Murray doesn't represent Great Britain. They and the entire media would disagree with you and 99% of those fans only support him because he is British and representing Great Britain, not because they know him personally.

He's not representing Britain. I was supporting him as they were but he isn't representing Britain. Like Golf, it's a sport of individuals, with exceptions for the Davis Cup/Olympics.

Incorrect, in pro tennis (and most pro sports in fact) players represent their respective country because they have to declare what country they are representing before they can compete in any event (and this is checked). For the majority of competitors it'll be a simple case of playing for the country they were born in, for others like Greg Rusedski or Nathalie Tauziat you can compete for an adopted country you are eligible to compete for. They have to be officially representing their declared country because for tournaments like the Olympics there'll be no legal jurisdiction stopping e.g. Murray competing for the USA or Botswana. The system would be open to abuse and ridicule and tennis would never be let into the Olympics as a sport otherwise.

The only difference with the Davis Cup/Olympics is that there is a "team competition" format and the olympics at least are based on the country's performance as a whole as well as individual athlete's performances. That is merely down to the format of the competition and doesn't mean that any other sportsmen/women in any other sports tournaments/competitions don't represent their countries.

Murray is the new star of deadpan dry comedy, Blighty finally understand him so these comments now look as stereotyped as Alex Salmond looked stupid yesterday trying to wave the Saltire

Quite,

an exploitation of Andy Murray's achievements to send out his own subtle political message. The flag just so happened to be in his wife's handbag apparently.

That picture makes me squirm. F*cking w*nkers.

Again, why the such aggressive response?! It's not abnormal for people who have achieved something to be invited to downing street. Also, I can forgive Cameron and Clegg on this as they both play/played tennis, so it's not like they are inventing some sudden like of the sport... not that that would be a problem as they are just recognising his general sporting achievement. I just think there are far worse things that politicians can do than being seen to enjoy some sort of function with a Wimbledon champion (which I think most people probably would).

Murray deserves a knighthood as much as many a knight I see on the honours list, . He has done something that not only the Brits admire but people all over the world who understand the mountain he climed to win Wimbledon, the pressure he was under dwarfs much of the achievements of some other sportsmen.