Wimbledon 2013

Julian H. Cope

Its been an excellent game so far. Did anyone else here the stat that in their US open final he ran 5km, all of it wold have been 10-15 yard sprints over 3 hours, which is incredible fitness levels.

yup they compared it to a PL midfielder running blah blah blah...

Wow, watching throughout the 80s I never thought I'd see a Brit get into the second week, let alone win the thing. Has got me to thinking, I was born in 77. When I turned 10 in 87, given that we'd just lost the ashes, which of these sporting feats seemed least likely to happen: Brit wins Wimbledon, Brit wins Tour de France, Brit wins Olympic 100 metre gold, Brit wins Olympic 5000 and 10000 double, Brit wins heavyweight world title, Brit wins open (or any golf major), Brit wins gold at 5 consecutive Olympics, britain win hockey olympic gold, England reclaim ashes, England win rugby World Cup, english team wins league, fa and euro cup treble, England win football World Cup. Ok, so maybe the ashes didnt seem too unlikely at that stage, but by the end of the nineties it sure did. I doubt many would have put the football world cup as the least likely, though. unbelievable. And this by our most feted and well-paid sports stars.

Wow, watching throughout the 80s I never thought I'd see a Brit get into the second week, let alone win the thing. Has got me to thinking, I was born in 77. When I turned 10 in 87, given that we'd just lost the ashes, which of these sporting feats seemed least likely to happen: Brit wins Wimbledon, Brit wins Tour de France, Brit wins Olympic 100 metre gold, Brit wins Olympic 5000 and 10000 double, Brit wins heavyweight world title, Brit wins open (or any golf major), Brit wins gold at 5 consecutive Olympics, britain win hockey olympic gold, England reclaim ashes, England win rugby World Cup, english team wins league, fa and euro cup treble, England win football World Cup. Ok, so maybe the ashes didnt seem too unlikely at that stage, but by the end of the nineties it sure did. I doubt many would have put the football world cup as the least likely, though. unbelievable. And this by our most feted and well-paid sports stars.

We'll win the football World Cup next in 2090 - 77 years time.

Maybe.

Spooky.

Edited by Trader
Too many wees

Try telling that to the crowds watching in centre court/henman hill/the BBC who are mentioning Fred Perry every 5 mins

Tell them what? He's not representing Britain. I was supporting him as they were but he isn't representing Britain. Like Golf, it's a sport of individuals, with exceptions for the Davis Cup/Olympics.

It's clearly a conspiracy. I'd like to see pap's take on this. 77 years since Fred Perry; Wade won in 77. Today is 7/7: anniversary of the London bombings. It's all one big plan by the illuminati.

Heh. I've actually seen this already today. Haven't posted about it, but since you mention it, Murray won the US Open on 9/11. Spooky!

I like to treat numerology as an interesting coincidence instead of hard evidence, Grey Crab. I'd suggest you follow a similar path.

Very chuffed for him. I felt more involved with the game as a result of him being Scottish, rather than say, Swiss. Coz I feel I have some shared history with Scots and I don't know anything about Switzerland. However, as a Spat, not completely overcome with emotion. Maybe it's age, but I wonder if I'd be that bothered if England won the world cup- in my twenties I would have been flying!. Never gonna happen anyway I suppose

A tennis player's nationality doesn't bother me, although I'm not a fan of Andy Murray as a person. If Rusedski had won Wimbledon I'd still have gone bat sh!t mental. That said, had Henman won Wimbledon, I think I'd have felt more pride than Murray winning it.

Next? A player born and raised in SW19 winning it. Will it ever happen?

What personality ?

Asks the man who did not watch the Documentary about him or listen to the comments made about him on Sky after the event.

Not your fault being out of beeb range but careful with clichés now.

Murray is the new star of deadpan dry comedy, Blighty finally understand him so these comments now look as stereotyped as Alex Salmond looked stupid yesterday trying to wave the Saltire

What personality ?

The personality to build a career despite breaking away from the Lawn Tennis Association.

The personality to compete at a time when three of the greatest players in the history of the game dominated.

The personality to keep fighting against those personalities.

The personality to bounce back time after time when he was defeated earlier in his career.

The personality to come so close to winning on many occasions and always fight another day.

The personality to carry a nation's hope and pressure on his shoulders and not let it break him.

The personality to shake off a devastating defeat and use it as a catalyst to win an olympic gold medal at the same venue just a month later.

The personality to the build on that further, on all that he had experienced and finally win a major title at the US Open.

The personality to cope with a nation's expectation that he must now win at Wimbledon and then to do it in emphatic style.

The man is a bloody hero in my books. Sports Personality of the year? Hell yes.

Edited by Colinjb

Fabulous game. Murray looks a fair bit fitter and more resilient than previous years and winning the US Open must have given him that little bit more self-belief that he could win another Grand Slam. The standard of tennis was magnificent and although Murray has failed to deliver in the past (and cried like a girl last year) he really put on a perfomance yesterday and thoroughly deserved the title. Well done fella. Do it again next year.

Asks the man who did not watch the Documentary about him or listen to the comments made about him on Sky after the event.

Not your fault being out of beeb range but careful with clichés now.

Murray is the new star of deadpan dry comedy, Blighty finally understand him so these comments now look as stereotyped as Alex Salmond looked stupid yesterday trying to wave the Saltire

I tried to watch that documentary bout him, i got as far as the bit where he was trying to express his thoughts dunblanes, it was like torture yo!

"What he was doing was kept starting... He kept starting sentences but.... It was like he couldn't... What I mean is that every time he began to.... You have to look at it like he was going to.... He was sitting there and then he would begin but... What I mean is that it was very..."