1st Day Issue Stamps

mightysaints

I have a display folder/book full of 1st Day Issue stamps on display envelopes. My parents used to get them for me back in the early seventies up till mid eighties. Approx. 50 in total, all in pristine condition. Been wondering what they are worth and where to sell them. Can anyone help

Unfortunately FDCs are generally not worth much at all - sometimes barely more than was paid for them. For the period your collection covers, the Stanley Gibbons prices are in the region of £1.50 to a fiver at most, which means you'd get about half that from a private sale or maybe even less from a dealer. At the stamp fairs I've been to a lot of FDCs are almost given away. In fact when I've cruelly dragged my kids along they've picked several freebies from dealers who've taken pity on them!

If you want to get an idea for yourself, pick up a copy of the SG concise GB catalogue - doesn't have to be the most recent - anything from the last ten years will do. You'll also get an idea by looking at eBay.

If you can be bothered, sell them on ebay, otherwise take them to a stamp fair, but don't expect more than a few quid. If they mean anything to you at all I'd hang on to them and give them to the grandchildren (bit of a presumption there!).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2