Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

Oh god. Is this why the new shirts are £50

Just cannot see this myself at all

They'll have to make the shirt £100 to make up for the shortfall in sales if the poll is anything to go by.

Shirt merch is still a drop in the ocean compared to tv money now anyway, part of the problem.

Didn't I read somewhere that Pochettino wanted all his new signings in place by start of training on July 1st because if they weren't then we could not have a good pre-season to hit the ground running for the PL in August?

Well, it's July 1st on Monday... where are the signings? Beginning to look disappointingly familiar. Are we drifting towards another summer of anti-climax with nobody of any significance coming in?

Wonder if the Schneiderlin rumour has anything to do with top players not wanting to come here and he already realises that our ambitions to be a big club have hit the buffers and probably can't be fulfilled? Having money is one thing but if you can't buy anything with it what do you do?

If we cannot progress, the better players will go. I know this is quite negative but just beginning to wonder...

Didn't I read somewhere that Pochettino wanted all his new signings in place by start of training on July 1st because if they weren't then we could not have a good pre-season to hit the ground running for the PL in August?

Well, it's July 1st on Monday... where are the signings? Beginning to look disappointingly familiar. Are we drifting towards another summer of anti-climax with nobody of any significance coming in?

Wonder if the Schneiderlin rumour has anything to do with top players not wanting to come here and he already realises that our ambitions to be a big club have hit the buffers and probably can't be fulfilled? Having money is one thing but if you can't buy anything with it what do you do?

If we cannot progress, the better players will go. I know this is quite negative but just beginning to wonder...

Pathetic.

There's little or no chance this comes off, he will go to a CL team if he's available. Lets get real

This must be a variation on the "good day to bury bad news" in an attempt to divert our attention from the new kit fiasco

If there truly is a meeting with the player' date=' surely (a) the player is at the very least slightly interested or why bother with the meeting and (b)hopefully he'd have an awareness of what's on offer before flying in from Brazil?[/quote']

Money talks, initially. More to the point, does the average brazilian footballer know where England is let alone Southampton. Wait 'til he sees the place, throbbing international metropolis that it is with sun-kissed beaches and Las Vegas style night-life.

Now I think you need to change the bed clothes.

While this is mostly nonsense, I am concerned that while going for all these big name players we aren't trying to get the decent squad players we need (I.e backups for Shaw and Clyne) as playing people like Fox last season was what hurt us the most. Like to see bids for players like Trippier as well as these worldy foreigners. Very much like how Villa are building

While this is mostly nonsense, I am concerned that while going for all these big name players we aren't trying to get the decent squad players we need (I.e backups for Shaw and Clyne) as playing people like Fox last season was what hurt us the most. Like to see bids for players like Trippier as well as these worldy foreigners. Very much like how Villa are building

How do you know we are not after the squad players?

How do you know we are not after the squad players?

IMO if you sign squad players you dont progress.

Villa needed to add bodies with experience to see them through a different season, we are going for players that challenge for a first team spot which is right IMO

the 1st of July was a date he wanted things done, you dont always meet your deadlines, let alone a TW within which players are holidaying or on tournament duty through the time off between seasons.

Money talks, initially. More to the point, does the average brazilian footballer know where England is let alone Southampton. Wait 'til he sees the place, throbbing international metropolis that it is with sun-kissed beaches and Las Vegas style night-life.

Well, that extremely average Brazilian footballer Juninho went to that World renowned resort town Middlesbrough, as did that other mediocre Brazilian footballer Emerson and Italian nobody Ravanelli. They were attracted by their luxury beachside villas and their jetset neighbours and their wives loved the Couture Culture shopping.

IF

We are to progress and improve then the scouting staff should be looking to buy players that are BETTER than Shaw, Cork, Morgan, SRL etc, ie players that make our EXISTING team the squad back up.

We bought squad quality players once before (Telfer, Delap et al) and while it got us into the top 10 for a season it left us with a load of dross when we needed more quality.

Oh and that means you need a plan because you cannot do that in one transfer window.

IMO if you sign squad players you dont progress.

Villa needed to add bodies with experience to see them through a different season, we are going for players that challenge for a first team spot which is right IMO

the 1st of July was a date he wanted things done, you dont always meet your deadlines, let alone a TW within which players are holidaying or on tournament duty through the time off between seasons.

My thoughts too but at the end of the day if you rotate your players regularly then all the players are squad players.

It just makes me laugh when people come on here crying that we haven't got XYZ in by the 1st - christ its not like going to Tesco's and popping down the Striker aisle and picking the from the shelf.

Well, that extremely average Brazilian footballer Juninho went to that World renowned resort town Middlesbrough, as did that other mediocre Brazilian footballer Emerson and Italian nobody Ravanelli. They were attracted by their luxury beachside villas and their jetset neighbours and their wives loved the Couture Culture shopping.

And Middlesborough got relegated with them in the team.

Great example.

Again! this small club mentality. What we need instead of 'backups' are players that are equal or better than these two young lads, thus improving the team, and not stagnating.

IF

We are to progress and improve then the scouting staff should be looking to buy players that are BETTER than Shaw, Cork, Morgan, SRL etc, ie players that make our EXISTING team the squad back up.

We bought squad quality players once before (Telfer, Delap et al) and while it got us into the top 10 for a season it left us with a load of dross when we needed more quality.

Oh and that means you need a plan because you cannot do that in one transfer window.

So when Shaw is injured next season we'll be relying on Fox again.

Again! this small club mentality. What we need instead of 'backups' are players that are equal or better than these two young lads, thus improving the team, and not stagnating.

I agree with your general point but I would be surprised if we spend, say, eight million on a full back.

We might just have to settle for back ups in those spots.

147 appearances and 82 goals in his Internacional career. Pretty impressive. Would be a marquee signing thats for sure.

Not getting too excited on this one until hes holding up our shirt at SMS....

The transfer's off in disgust that we were no longer wearing red and white stripes and didn't want to look a chav in the gold trim.

IF

I know what you mean but we don't have the money to spend the millions that would entail. Just buying 3 or 4 better than what we have will cost £30-40m as we've seen with the 12m for Wanyama, 17m for Osvaldo, 20m for Damiao etc.

So some of these funds could be spent upgrading the second tier players like Fox who have to play because Shaw is 17-18 and wont last a season. No point having Damiao up front when Fox is costing you goals at the back because he's nowhere near good enough

He is one hell of a player, would break our transfer record by about 10m.

Inter, AC, Real, Spurs, City all linked with him. He'd command probably about 80k+ per week. Just can't see us paying what himself and his representatives want. We may meet Internactional's asking price, but that's only the easy part. Trying to convince a player of his stature to leave his home country for a middling English club will require lots and lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$

no doubt he is owned by about 3 different groups of people. and all will want a slice which will mean we wont get him

Probably. Just hope we're not wasting time on players who'd never want to join us. Credit the ambition, but feel we're wasting our time on this one.

Every summer people assume a club can't chase multiple targets - why?

Every club will have ambitious targets, back ups etc to varying degrees of quality. Why are we finding things to moan about while being linked with top players?

Why do people keep asking about July 1st when it's been answered 500 times? Why does anyone think people are against the idea of signing players early? Why does anyone think transfers are simple? And why do people get frustrated and argue against situations they've made up in their own head because they have little idea of the reality of the club's business?

You do realise you're only allowed 3 rhetorical questions per day on here, don't you? (asked Trousers rhetorically)

Every summer people assume a club can't chase multiple targets - why?

Every club will have ambitious targets, back ups etc to varying degrees of quality. Why are we finding things to moan about while being linked with top players?

Why do people keep asking about July 1st when it's been answered 500 times? Why does anyone think people are against the idea of signing players early? Why does anyone think transfers are simple? And why do people get frustrated and argue against situations they've made up in their own head because they have little idea of the reality of the club's business?

Because they are as thick as pig **** for the most part.

If you get linked to enough top players the perception of the size, ambition and stature of the club will change -eventually one of these top targets will come.

Throw enough sh*t at the wall etc, yes?

It could also have the effect that agents see us as a club to use to drive the price up as they know we are making good offers to players and the players are all asking themselves why they would join us when so many others in the peer group reject us.

Edited by Turkish