Who would you like to replace Schneiderlin?

wessex saint

We sold AOC for more than 12M after one full season in league 1. Why would we sell MS for less?

As above they're is always a premium for young English players.

It's all about opinions mate. I don't want to see MS go but anyone thinking he's in the 20-30m bracket is way off beam.

As above they're is always a premium for young English players.

It's all about opinions mate. I don't want to see MS go but anyone thinking he's in the 20-30m bracket is way off beam.

You seriously believe that the "English premium" is enough for us to sell our star midfielder who is on a contract until 2017 for less than a player with one season in league 1? Perhaps it's you who is way off the beam?

You seriously believe that the "English premium" is enough for us to sell our star midfielder who is on a contract until 2017 for less than a player with one season in league 1? Perhaps it's you who is way off the beam?

I may be, who knows. What I do know is that MS, as good as he is, ain't a 21-30m player based on what he's done so far.

As to AOC you cannot compare a defensive midfielder to an attacking player for valuation purposes. The best flair players will always command much higher fees than others.

I may be, who knows. What I do know is that MS, as good as he is, ain't a 21-30m player based on what he's done so far.

As to AOC you cannot compare a defensive midfielder to an attacking player for valuation purposes. The best flair players will always command much higher fees than others.

I'm sure the club would value Morgan at closer to 20M than 10M.

I'm sure the club would value Morgan at closer to 20M than 10M.

I'd find it very odd that firstly after signing a new contract, secondly all the talking up of the club Morgan has done recently he would go to Sociedad, who lets be honest are unlikely to be regulars in the Champions League and may not even get past the qualifying rounds (doubt they will have a seeding). If it was someone like PSG or Madrid or Arsenal etc. then yeh I could see him wanting to go but Sociedad aren't even the biggest Basque club were in the second division a few seasons ago, would seem a sideways move to me.

Also he'd go for more than 12 million euros.

I'd find it very odd that firstly after signing a new contract, secondly all the talking up of the club Morgan has done recently he would go to Sociedad, who lets be honest are unlikely to be regulars in the Champions League and may not even get past the qualifying rounds (doubt they will have a seeding). If it was someone like PSG or Madrid or Arsenal etc. then yeh I could see him wanting to go but Sociedad aren't even the biggest Basque club were in the second division a few seasons ago, would seem a sideways move to me.

Also he'd go for more than 12 million euros.

All true

Imo it is more likely we made an offer for a Real Sociedad player.

They are insulted by our offer and have "leaked" the rumour about a cheeky offer for Morgan.

A few weeks ago we made an offer for a Benfica player; they were insulted by the offer from an "upstart English club who are not in any European comp". So they leaked the rumour about Poch going to be their Manager etc. imo the same is happening here.

The question of this thread should be who is the Real Sociedad player we have made an offer for ?

Perhaps ?????? Griezmann - French aged 22; quick, direct left winger 10 goals in 34 ????.

Morgan was the first player to be convinced by "the project" back in the early dark league 1 days when it looked so unlikely!

His leaving now would be a great blow given it is so much closer to fruition and would surely have a huge effect on convincing others to stay (Ramierez) and new players to join!

Morgan is a key part part of Southampton having joined at such a young age and experienced the full downs and ups of the journey so far

Can't see this happening in any way and especially not to Real Sociedad

Imo it is more likely we made an offer for a Real Sociedad player.

They are insulted by our offer and have "leaked" the rumour about a cheeky offer for Morgan.

A few weeks ago we made an offer for a Benfica player; they were insulted by the offer from an "upstart English club who are not in any European comp". So they leaked the rumour about Poch going to be their Manager etc. imo the same is happening here.

The question of this thread should be who is the Real Sociedad player we have made an offer for ?

Perhaps ?????? Griezmann - French aged 22; quick, direct left winger 10 goals in 34 ????.

They haven't leaked anything. A child made up the rumour in his bedroom.

Not according to egg. He's not English like Jordan Henderson, not a flair player like AOC and has no caps for Kenya like Wanyama.

Any selling club would value any player of theirs higher than their market value. He ain't worth 20-30million.

Forget your stupid Henderson and Aoc comparable and name one uncapped defensive midfielder, with no CL experience, that's been sold for that sort of fee.

Any selling club would value any player of theirs higher than their market value. He ain't worth 20-30million.

Forget your stupid Henderson and Aoc comparable and name one uncapped defensive midfielder, with no CL experience, that's been sold for that sort of fee.

Just because he's not worth 20-30million, doesn't mean the Don will sell for less than 20-30million. Name one thing Cortese has done here that makes you think he will sell our best player for anything less than a ridiculously high fee.

Edited by aintforever

Joe Allen.

Ok 4 caps prior to switch to Liverpool but that was only friendlies.

Just because he's not worth 20-30million, doesn't mean the Don will sell for less than 20-30million. Name one thing Cortese has done here that makes you think he will sell our best player for anything less than a ridiculously high fee.

You misunderstand me. I'm saying ms ain't worth 20-30 million.

You misunderstand me. I'm saying ms ain't worth 20-30 million.

For who?

It´s the seller that decides what the player is worth. Like Celtic valued Wanyama to £12m but not to £10m since they refused that bid from Cardiff at first.

If he in Corteses opinion is worth £20-30m, then there you have it, his value.

Exactly. Doesn't mean anyone would pay that, just that cortese wouldn't sell for less. Which is fine by me.

I read numerous articles last season comparing Morgan's stats with some of the best defensive mids in the prem and in Europe. He was a massive massive part of how we played and played well. And he just signed a new contract.

Not a chance this happens. Simply because we couldn't replace him and what he does for us for 12 million poxy euros.

I no nothing about this particular rumour but my missus is acquainted with his missus and seemingly a move has been on the cards for a while.

As for Real Socieadad, they're a big club. Well established in la liga and in the champions league. Anyone who thinks a move to them is not a big step up is kidding themselves.

As to the fee, 12m is massive for a lad with no international or champions league. Yes the lad has had one good season in the prem but that doesn't put him in the 20m bracket.

Sadly I think they're is something in this.

Real Sociedad aren't a big club and they've recently lost their manager to those European Giants Rennes. Total Bullcrap. Morgan doesn't have an agent per se, he uses the services of Thomas Cooper Law.

Right the rumour seems to first appear on a Sociedad forum a couple of weeks back, the poster immediately gets slapped down by his peers with a "don't talk bollix,they'll only sell Schneiderlin to one of England's top 5 and then for a shedload of euros. However it is discussed on that forum that the Arse have offered 12 million € for their star midfielder. Look's like a forum very similar to this one, prospective players are always preceded by the YouTube videos.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Well.. who knows?

I love Morgan but according to comments above he's worth about 20m!!

For a young lad whose had one season at the top level and just about held his own. Not a full international and (lets face it) has no real allegiance to Saints. Course he wouldn't go to a more successful team!

OK - forget MS... why are the only confirmed players we've tried to buy been defensive midfielders? because that's our weakest position? I think not...

Mmm true. So maybe Wanyama etc were just to give us 3 decent players to fill 2 positions.

I so hope I'm wrong.... I'm getting a season ticket this year - partly on the back of Morgan bossing the game most weeks.

Whatever one might think about Twitter rumours, it's impossible not to admire the consistency of your argument.

To us hes worth more then 12 million but market value i would say 12 mill is about right, however since were not a selling club i would expect for us to get a good price for us and sell at 15 million pounds not euros, with that we can sign someone just as good, however may take a while for them to settle, i feel him and cork is a top 8 CM partnership, so we should fight to keep him.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this thread and part of it boils down to a failure to understand some simple economics, so as I have an economics degree perhaps I can help...

There are two issues here:

* What is his value to the purchaser? - Many are saying Morgan is not worth a certain fee because clubs wouldn't be prepared to pay that much. This is true but it fails to acknowledge the other key factor...

* What is his value to the seller? - Others are pointing out (correctly) that Saints will not sell at a price that is below his value if he stays.

Now here's the key thing to note: A sale will only be made at or above the point that a seller is prepared to sell and a buyer is prepared to buy. So, most importantly, we need to understand what influences a club's willingness to sell a player. Here are a list of possible influences:

1. The player's age - beyond a certain age their value will fall, before a certain age a player's value will generally rise.

2. The player's ability and experience - obviously!

3. The importance of the player to the club.

4. The replacement cost of a player - i.e. what would it cost to buy a player to replace the player if he were to be sold?

5. The length of the player's remaining contract - a player's value will drop significantly the closer they get to the few final months of a contract (though that player's ability to negotiate higher wages for himself may also rise as a result!)

6. The player's disciplinary record.

7. The player's relationship with the manager and the rest of the team - i.e. could he adversely affect the team performance because he has fallen out with his manager or team-mates.

8. The player's loyalty/commitment - if he wants away this could again adversely affect the rest of the team by unsettling them.

9. The club's wealth and it's need to raise finance to buy other players - a wealthy club is less likely to need to sell a player than one which needs to sell in oder to raise the finance to purchase other players.

Now, on most of these points I would argue that Morgan's value would be raised. The only doubt that exists lies in point 8. If Morgan wishes to leave strongly enough and if it is perceived that this is liable to unsettle the whole squad then this could reduce the amount at which the club would be prepared to sell him. Nevertheless, the other points and especially point 4 will ensure that, assuming Cortese knows what he is doing, if Morgan is sold he will not be sold at anything less than a highly demanding fee. If a lower offer is received, Cortese can simply turn round and point out how little that other club valued him and that Saints valued him more highly!

For this reason, while we may feel that Morgan's value based simply on ability and experience would not be as high as some other players, when taking account of other factors and especially the time remaining on his contract, the club should be able to demand a fairly high fee to other clubs - of a level that will put off most (if not all) other clubs.

I would argue that there is a big disparity between what many clubs would be willing to pay for Morgan and the price at which Saints would be prepared to let him go and that consequently we will not sell him.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this thread and part of it boils down to a failure to understand some simple economics, so as I have an economics degree perhaps I can help...

There are two issues here:

* What is his value to the purchaser? - Many are saying Morgan is not worth a certain fee because clubs wouldn't be prepared to pay that much. This is true but it fails to acknowledge the other key factor...

* What is his value to the seller? - Others are pointing out (correctly) that Saints will not sell at a price that is below his value if he stays.

Now here's the key thing to note: A sale will only be made at or above the point that a seller is prepared to sell and a buyer is prepared to buy. So, most importantly, we need to understand what influences a club's willingness to sell a player. Here are a list of possible influences:

1. The player's age - beyond a certain age their value will fall, before a certain age a player's value will generally rise.

2. The player's ability and experience - obviously!

3. The importance of the player to the club.

4. The replacement cost of a player - i.e. what would it cost to buy a player to replace the player if he were to be sold?

5. The length of the player's remaining contract - a player's value will drop significantly the closer they get to the few final months of a contract (though that player's ability to negotiate higher wages for himself may also rise as a result!)

6. The player's disciplinary record.

7. The player's relationship with the manager and the rest of the team - i.e. could he adversely affect the team performance because he has fallen out with his manager or team-mates.

8. The player's loyalty/commitment - if he wants away this could again adversely affect the rest of the team by unsettling them.

9. The club's wealth and it's need to raise finance to buy other players - a wealthy club is less likely to need to sell a player than one which needs to sell in oder to raise the finance to purchase other players.

Now, on most of these points I would argue that Morgan's value would be raised. The only doubt that exists lies in point 8. If Morgan wishes to leave strongly enough and if it is perceived that this is liable to unsettle the whole squad then this could reduce the amount at which the club would be prepared to sell him. Nevertheless, the other points and especially point 4 will ensure that, assuming Cortese knows what he is doing, if Morgan is sold he will not be sold at anything less than a highly demanding fee. If a lower offer is received, Cortese can simply turn round and point out how little that other club valued him and that Saints valued him more highly!

For this reason, while we may feel that Morgan's value based simply on ability and experience would not be as high as some other players, when taking account of other factors and especially the time remaining on his contract, the club should be able to demand a fairly high fee to other clubs - of a level that will put off most (if not all) other clubs.

I would argue that there is a big disparity between what many clubs would be willing to pay for Morgan and the price at which Saints would be prepared to let him go and that consequently we will not sell him.

I could say in one sentence that our value will be more than potential buyers would offer.

Who told you that?

From what I hear he's in the market. Whilst we don't want it to be true there's legs in this sadly.

A friend of mine is teaching Morgan how to make cheese (it's his new hobby and the reason he pulled out of that house purchase - he wants somewhere with enough land for a few cows to milk and outbuildings for cheese making) and he's confirmed to me that Morgan currently is not interested in leaving. Not one bit.

A friend of mine is teaching Morgan how to make cheese (it's his new hobby and the reason he pulled out of that house purchase - he wants somewhere with enough land for a few cows to milk and outbuildings for cheese making) and he's confirmed to me that Morgan currently is not interested in leaving. Not one bit.

That's just daft enough to have merit! :D