ALL TIME favourite Saint.

orchardsaint

enough of the kit. it is what it is, so deal with it.

Now, my son, a six year old Saint, after watching the last couple of seasons and a few of my old videos lying around,(saints ones, by the way), has decided his favourite player is rickie lambert. but he them threw me a curve ball and said his all time favourite is le tissier. he then asked me who my all time hero was and who did i think would be the most popular all time favourite of the fans.

so here goes.

after starting to support the saints in the rank xerox keegan era, with the array of talent there, it still falls to the honourable jimmy case to be the first name i would ink in on my saints team sheet.

anyone else care to help out my son?

Has to be someone i've actually seen play regularly and who I utterly respect for their ability and style.

Antti Niemi.

He was the absolute best keeper in the country for a two year spell. He had that incredible sixth sense that the very elite players seem to have.

Honourable mentions to Rickie and Beattie

Edited by Colinjb

Only been here since the early 80s so Channon (first spell) was before my time. Same with Keegan really.

Having watched Saints since 1984 I think my fav would have to be Le Tissier. I just don't see how I can vote anyone else. Sure there have been some good players but he did so much for us.

It is a shame Lambo was not here earlier in his career because he could of been the one to come close to him imo. Since say 2003-2004 season he has been by far our best player and scored some massive goals for us. So I would say he is my second fav.

Mick Channon.

Close run thing though between MLT & Mick Channon. MLT the most gifted player we have ever had, but Channon in full flight takes me back to days of childhood and teenage awe, which can not be recovered, so Mick it is.

Oh, and for the great windmill celebration.

And also for the personality and great west country accent.

Honourable mentions to John McGrath, Jim Steele, and Mark Dennis for cult status.

After a bit more thought through my booze adled brain, I can't name a Single Individual .... but will try a few different eras of my support.

66 70 Ron Davies (RIP) - no one except SRL has come close to being as good a centre forward. Special mention to Terry Paine whhho set up most or Rons goals.

70 -76 Mick Channon - Runs MLT VERY close to being The Best Ever

77 - 79 Alan Ball

80 - 83 Steve Moran

84 - 86 Dave Armstrong

87 - 89 Jimmy Case

89 - Forever - Matt Le Tissier :adore:

MLT set an impossible bench mark to surpass and, although we have had some great players since, only Sir Rickie Lambett :toppa:has come anywhere close to matching it.

Mick Channon.

Close run thing though between MLT & Mick Channon. MLT the most gifted player we have ever had, but Channon in full flight takes me back to days of childhood and teenage awe, which can not be recovered, so Mick it is.

Oh, and for the great windmill celebration.

And also for the personality and great west country accent.

What makes it impossible to seperate the two is the fact that they are both such genuine people. No airs and graces, no, I'm a superstar blah blah etc.

Matt just about shades it for his sheer importance to the club at the time, he was the be all. Without a shade of doubt without Matt we would have been dead on so many occasssions. Micky Boy holds the title in my mind for best Goal celebration EVER with The Windmill. In my mind it should be made THE mandatory goal celebration. Legendary in The Southampton Way of Goal celebrations!!

Edited by ericofarabia

It's Terry, Mick or MLT, no one holds a candle to those three, it's not just the goals it's the length of service, no one will ever match Terry's 800 games and he led us from third division obscurity to the first. It has to be Terry with Mick close second. Interesting that all the top three are our own and didn't cost a thing

Channon for me too.

Those we have loved: Eric Martin, John McGrath, Big Ron, Tommy Jenkins, O'Neil, Shilts, Boyer and Ted, Jimmy Case, Steve Mills, Golac, Steve Williams, Peach, Holmes, MLT, Mark Dennis, Bally, Killer, CMFG, Beatts, SRL. Reckon Boruc could be next on my list, a definite cult hero in the making.