ALL TIME favourite Saint.

orchardsaint

There are so many players you could mention. Especially with my advancing years the Hugh fishers tommy Jenkins on me head tommy , it's good to see it does matter how long or short we have been supporting saints we each have so many favourites more recently dream Hammond et al . But what is important we all have our memories whether we are young or old and we al can identify with players who have had a big impact on our life's over the years , I liked Richard Dryden . Not our greatest player but an honest lad who I got to know quite well . This just goes to confirm the spirit of Southampton is alive and well

MLT but also Nick Holmes - a Soton boy and there for all of the 'glory' years mid-70s to mid 80s. Dozens of players worse than him have played for England

Always my favourite Saints player - and this, after al, is the title of the thread.

It's Terry, Mick or MLT, no one holds a candle to those three, it's not just the goals it's the length of service, no one will ever match Terry's 800 games and he led us from third division obscurity to the first. It has to be Terry with Mick close second. Interesting that all the top three are our own and didn't cost a thing

Dellman has summed it up perfectly. I also had a soft spot for George Lawrence but he wasn't in the same league as those three.

Only started watching the Saints in ~1992.

I'd say:

1. Delgado

2. Anders Svensson

3. Gaston Ramirez

They are in my dream team. Those that play well in my dreams...

When I'm sober and awake:

1. MLT

2. Mike Svensson

3. Marian Pahars

Terry Paine.

Could beat 3 men in 3 paces then stick it on a sixpence for big Ron - again and again.

I never really understood why modern players sometimes overhit or underhit passes (even from dead ball situations) by about 10 yards.

Maybe it's these beachballs they play with these days.

Mick Channon.

Close run thing though between MLT & Mick Channon. MLT the most gifted player we have ever had, but Channon in full flight takes me back to days of childhood and teenage awe, which can not be recovered, so Mick it is.

Oh, and for the great windmill celebration.

And also for the personality and great west country accent.

Honourable mentions to John McGrath, Jim Steele, and Mark Dennis for cult status.

Totally agree with above.. remember sitting in supporter's club in early 70's and big Jhn walked in he took up the hole doorway!!

Out of interest, did you ever see Channon , Paine or Davies in their prime ?

Sure didn't. At 25, there isn't really another candidate for me.

That's a fair comment LGTL, if I had a little more "youthfulness" on my side I'd say MLT also.

Due to age

The legend that is Matt Le Tissier

Pahars

Rickie Lambert

What a front line that would have been

But nothing like as good as Matthew Le Tissier, Alan Shearer, Rod Wallace and Paul Rideout that was an actual front line and which beat Liverpool out of sight the year they won the league by 9 points.

Paul Rideout definitely qualifies as 'un-sung hero' but someone called Nick Holmes an un-sung hero; he wasn't. Surely most of those watching Saints during that period will number him in their all-time favourites and his scoring record for a left-sided midfielder who was often required to play in the back line speaks for itself. Likewise David Armstrong also often referred to as 'un-sung' and also among my personal favourites.

All-time favourite? - Mick Channon

After a bit more thought through my booze adled brain, I can't name a Single Individual .... but will try a few different eras of my support.

66 70 Ron Davies (RIP) - no one except SRL has come close to being as good a centre forward. Special mention to Terry Paine whhho set up most or Rons goals.

70 -76 Mick Channon - Runs MLT VERY close to being The Best Ever

77 - 79 Alan Ball

80 - 83 Steve Moran

84 - 86 Dave Armstrong

87 - 89 Jimmy Case

89 - Forever - Matt Le Tissier :adore:

MLT set an impossible bench mark to surpass and, although we have had some great players since, only Sir Rickie Lambett :toppa:has come anywhere close to matching it.

86 forever

On the subject of MLT & Mick Channon:

What makes it impossible to seperate the two is the fact that they are both such genuine people. No airs and graces, no, I'm a superstar blah blah etc.

Matt just about shades it for his sheer importance to the club at the time, he was the be all. Without a shade of doubt without Matt we would have been dead on so many occasssions. Micky Boy holds the title in my mind for best Goal celebration EVER with The Windmill. In my mind it should be made THE mandatory goal celebration. Legendary in The Southampton Way of Goal celebrations!!

Agree with your observations on MC & MLT, there are very few, if any who would have a bad word to say about either and the way they have conducted themselves. Can't be said of all our former heroes.

Sorry to see you edited your post yesterday about both putting up with sh!t since retiring !