UK Holiday

maddog

Wondering if anyone can recommend a UK destination for a summer holiday. We have done Cornwall, Devon a few times so looking for somewhere different. Ideally coastal location, with plenty to do in the day, day trips etc.

How about the area around Barmouth in West Wales. Good beaches and right next door to Snowdonia National Park. Whether there is plenty to do obviously depends on what you like. Not much commercial stuff but lots of beaches, sailing, hills and walking etc.

m131-044-d-1024px_614x410.jpg

We went to Barmouth last year, loved it, sorry should have stuck that on the original post

Thanks for the tips, might check out norfolk!

It was a couple of years ago that we went. There's the obvious things like the Broads and the Suffolk coast (Southwold and Aldeburgh both worth a trip) but there are some quirky things such as a museum devoted to mechanical organs such as the Wurlitzer (sp) as well as steam trains. http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/thedms.aspx?dms=13&venue=0231231

And there's the wonderful Sutton Hoo in Suffolk http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton-hoo/

We went to Barmouth last year, loved it, sorry should have stuck that on the original post

Thanks for the tips, might check out norfolk!

Went to a caravan park near Great Yarmouth last year, first time over that side of the country, loved it. Yarmouth beach itself is a bit gritty though and not many people were actually on the beach!!

Hired a boat for a couple of hours to do the broads, ideally would like to do a couple of days if I were to do it again.

Been to Pwllheli in North Wales before, that's nice, near Snowdonia and a short trip from Llandudno (full of scousers!!).

South Wales this year, Porthcawl, bang between Cardiff and Swanse, nice little resort..

Wondering if anyone can recommend a UK destination for a summer holiday. We have done Cornwall, Devon a few times so looking for somewhere different. Ideally coastal location, with plenty to do in the day, day trips etc.

One of my favourite UK holidays a few years back was a drive up the east coast of England, stopping off at various B&Bs for a couple of nights each stay. It's a part of the country we'd never really been to before and on the surface it doesn't seem very fashionable but that's what appealed to us.... going to places that weren't over run by tourists.

We started in Peterborough (yes, I did say it wasn't very glamourous!) but had a great day out in 'fenland' - there's a great archaelogical centre we went to near there. Our next stop up the east coast was Maplethorpe - not a lot to do in that area to be fair but good for coastal walks. Other stops along the way were Grimsby, Hull, Bridlington, Flamborough (bird sanctury), Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay (the clovelly of the east...ish!) and Whitby. Loved Whitby - very picturesque around there. Next up Hartlepool (habour area is worth a visit). Then we headed up through Newcastle and on to Alnwick (Harry Potter castle), Dunstanburgh & Bamburgh (castles) and finally Holy Island/Lindesfarne.

We also did something similar but on the west coast another year, covering Lake District down to South West Wales.

I prefer moving around the country when on holiday in the UK rather than staying put in one place. The kids see it as a bit of an adventure too as you never quite know what the next place is going to be like.

One of my favourite UK holidays a few years back was a drive up the east coast of England, stopping off at various B&Bs for a couple of nights each stay. It's a part of the country we'd never really been to before and on the surface it doesn't seem very fashionable but that's what appealed to us.... going to places that weren't over run by tourists.

We started in Peterborough (yes, I did say it wasn't very glamourous!) but had a great day out in 'fenland' - there's a great archaelogical centre we went to near there. Our next stop up the east coast was Maplethorpe - not a lot to do in that area to be fair but good for coastal walks. Other stops along the way were Grimsby, Hull, Bridlington, Flamborough (bird sanctury), Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay (the clovelly of the east...ish!) and Whitby. Loved Whitby - very picturesque around there. Next up Hartlepool (habour area is worth a visit). Then we headed up through Newcastle and on to Alnwick (Harry Potter castle), Dunstanburgh & Bamburgh (castles) and finally Holy Island/Lindesfarne.

We also did something similar but on the west coast another year, covering Lake District down to South West Wales.

I prefer moving around the country when on holiday in the UK rather than staying put in one place. The kids see it as a bit of an adventure too as you never quite know what the next place is going to be like.

Interesting technique. We tend to go to two or three places for several days each, and walk around each one (if big cities), or take day-trips away from them - when there are interesting things to see nearby.

Thanks guys some great feedback, just shows sometimes this forum can be useful haha! Decided to go for Norfolk\Suffolk as its an area we haven't really been to or thought about going to. Might do 3-4 days in a cottage and then a couple of nights on the broads. Thanks everyone :-)

Thanks guys some great feedback, just shows sometimes this forum can be useful haha! Decided to go for Norfolk\Suffolk as its an area we haven't really been to or thought about going to. Might do 3-4 days in a cottage and then a couple of nights on the broads. Thanks everyone :-)

If you've got children, Wroxham Barns is quite good (quite good too even without children). Wroxham is on the Broads so easy to get to if you do hire a boat.

http://www.wroxhambarns.co.uk/

Unless you like archaeology cliff walks and cold weather . Then avoid Orkney

But you can do the world's shortest flight. Those 90 seconds will stay with you forever as cherished golden memories.

And don't forget the Bonksies - real excitement and adrenalin rush as you wander into a nesting area. All free too!

The Lizard is where I love to head back to in terms of the UK. But I can recommend the South Wales coast - round St Davids and down the Gower Peninsula/Swansea.

Also, the Scilly Isles - fantastic!

Most other places are too boring or too old school seaside (Blackpool? Skegness?).

If were heading back too the UK this summer, I would be looking for somewhere nice between Dorset and Hampshire. This suggests the New Forest.

Failing that, Devon, Somerset or Wiltshire. Rest of UK disinterests me at the moment.

Can't go wrong with the New Forest Alps - Ping me a PM if you make it over.