Bournemouth vs Real Madrid

Glasgow_Saint

Yes but it is a once (maybe twice) in a lifetime opportunity. I would be tempted if I was a Bmouth fan.

As Steve Grant said in the pre-season thread... Real Madrid play Galatasaray in Istanbul the day after the Bournemouth friendly, so it might be £60 to watch the Real Madrid "reserves".

How have they pulled that off?

By agreeing to pay Real Madrid the huge match fee they ask every friendly opponent to pay.

Why would Madrid wanna play at Bournemouth?

A similar reason to why Saints are playing lower division Spanish side early in their pre-season - to gain fitness. Plus the money Bournemouth are paying them.

Didn't cost Leicester fans anywhere near that a couple of years ago. To quote Eddie Mitchell :

"We see the fixture as a well earned gift to our fans for their unwavering dedication to AFC Bournemouth, and also an opportunity for us to put the town of Bournemouth on the map"

At £55 / £60 thats a lovely gift !

What do the likes of Madrid command in terms of money?

I suspect it varies. For some games they'll charge a fixed fee (most likely the long-haul trips to other continents), but others it'll be a revenue-sharing agreement. I imagine with Bournemouth it's the latter, hence the eye-wateringly high prices.

Yes but it is a once (maybe twice) in a lifetime opportunity. I would be tempted if I was a Bmouth fan.

It's a friendly against an, at best, 'rotated' Real Madrid squad. Bompey are asking for more money than Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea et. al would for a competitive Premier League ticket. I think some people get carried away with regards to the quality of foreign teams sometimes, saying things like, 'he must be good because he's scored a few in the Champions League.' In actual fact most of the goals were against teams like Sparta Prague and Helsingborg. Pompey fans talked about the draw with AC Milan being one of the best results in their history, when in actual fact that team was no better than someone like Liverpool.

In a nut shell, I wouldn't pay more than half what Bompey are asking.

Nice one.

But until all the tickets actually sell out I bet Eddie M & his sidekick will be bricking it, can't believe this hasn't cost them a pretty penny (as seen by the ticket prices)

But good luck to them & hope they have a great day

• 3 weeks later...

So, apart from the appearance money

Real have taken over an entire hotel

Private plane into Bompey Airport (get down their quick if you want autographs after the game oh and there is apparently a big Southampton Banner just by the airport)

Alleged cost is aro 1mil and aro 650k back in sales and merchandise

Makes it a 350k Marketing Exercise

Or a nice tax write off

Really, really difficult to find the actual result on their official site.

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the match report past all the stuff about them being a huge club now because they'll be visiting Elland Road, Loftus Road and the City Ground.

Then almost as an afterthought they list the Real Madrid scorers.

But nowhere on the entire site is there anything resembling: AFC BOURNEMOUTH 0 - 6 REAL MADRID

It's almost as if they're a bit embarrassed.

Sell the shirt for a fortune to a Sports Bar, keep the signed football. Win win

Mind you, his Dad comes out of that as a bit of a cock.

He ducked & let his lad take the hit..

Nice, bet his Mrs was frosty to say the least about it.