What's in a name

SO16_Saint

Did anyone see that programme with Holly Willloughby where there was some stuck up woman talking about kids names.

Only seen it briefly, but think she has a point - some names do represent the chav element of society and some names are representative of the upper class.

It's the whole idea of judging a book by it's cover. Those that do generally are not worth bothering with.

We all do it though, to differing extents and with different things. We judge people on the way they dress, what they're called, what they drive, where they live, and so it has become part of our culture and our way of life. We've all done it, just some to a greater extent, or in more serious ways than others. We've also all undoubtedly been on the receiving end too. One our our less attractive traits.

We all do it though, to differing extents and with different things. We judge people on the way they dress, what they're called, what they drive, where they live, and so it has become part of our culture and our way of life. We've all done it, just some to a greater extent, or in more serious ways than others. We've also all undoubtedly been on the receiving end too. One our our less attractive traits.

Being aware of it and knocking it on the head is the key thing though.... not to embrace it as Katie Hopkins has.

I think the bigger point at issue here is how we got to the point as a society where we have hugely popular shows which exist to make the stupid, the nasty and the greedy famous; then we as a society seem to elide their fame and their worth by inviting and valuing their opinions; then we accuse them of being stupid/nasty/greedy.

Throughout history there have been some awful people with very normal names, or posh names or whatever.

You might think twice about a kid named Adolf or Saddam though.

I like it when babies have old man names. Friend of friend named their baby 'Len'. It just seems so wrong I laughed.

I don't even know the kid and I chuckled, haha

Throughout history there have been some awful people with very normal names, or posh names or whatever.

You might think twice about a kid named Adolf or Saddam though.

I like it when babies have old man names. Friend of friend named their baby 'Len'. It just seems so wrong I laughed.

We have talked about this before, baby geoff just doesnt sound right

She's a bigoted, unintelligent snob. Oh and a hipocrite too seeing as her child is called "India"...

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/04/katie-hopkins-incurs-wrath-of-holly-willoughby-with-this-morning-name-debate-3869897/

I'd send Tyler Durden over to sort her out...

Wasn't she the dozy bint that was on the first series of the apprentice?

Anyway The sort of person that would get upset over anything she says is probably called Chardonnay or Tyler.

Wasn't she the dozy bint that was on the first series of the apprentice?

Anyway The sort of person that would get upset over anything she says is probably called Chardonnay or Tyler.

Not the first series, but yep. All she's famous for is being on a reality TV series. Obviously oozes class.

Not the first series, but yep. All she's famous for is being on a reality TV series. Obviously oozes class.

A reality TV 'star' who was notorious for indulging in a relationship with one of the other participants.

True sophistication.

I think the problem is that you associate a particular name with someone you knew from the past and then imbue the new person with the previous one's characteristics.

It's called prejudice and, provocative or not, the protagonist is prejudiced. She will be a cause of many a problem in their relationships.

She reveals her own stupidity by referencing that India is not a location......