Cricket Clubs Within The City Boundaries.

View From The Top

Highfield had a team and Trojans have a couple of sides I think, not sure if they're in the city boundaries though. There are usually a couple of games a week down at riverside park but no idea who plays there.

Trojans Cricket Club are very good. Big junior section and very well organized. Running a summer cricket camp this year as well I believe

My nephew plays for one of the U11s sides.

Just seems that there is a dirth of clubs for kids within the city.

I asked as we live in a small(ish) north midlands town and we have 3 clubs, one of who my nipper plays for (County Cup & League winners 2013), plus another 3 within 3 miles of town.

My nephew plays for one of the U11s sides.

Just seems that there is a dirth of clubs for kids within the city.

I asked as we live in a small(ish) north midlands town and we have 3 clubs, one of who my nipper plays for (County Cup & League winners 2013), plus another 3 within 3 miles of town.

There are loads of clubs near where I live now, far more than in Southampton and much higher profile, lots of them do fsmily days. We want to get my lad into cricket when he is older and there is a great club up the road which has kids teams of all age groups as well as about 3 adult teams and do lots of coaching. the father in law was a handy bowler back in the day im told. I'm half tempted to dust off my pads, not played for years but fancy giving it another go.

Edited by Turkish

There are loads of clubs near where I live now, far more than in Southampton and much higher profile, lots of them do fsmily days. We want to get my lad into cricket when he is older and there is a great club up the road which has kids teams of all age groups as well as about 3 adult teams and do lots of coaching. the father in law was a handy bowler back in the day im told. I'm half tempted to dust off my pads, not played for years but fancy giving it another go.

Do it. My nipper has been playing for only 2 years (U11s) and is now County Cup champion and League winner with a League Cup semi final tomorrow night as well as playing representative cricket for his region. The social side of it for all of us is excellent. Even my girls enjoy going down for nets and matches as lots of others sisters are down at the ground so they have people to play with.

The excitement at the climax of county cup final last week was better than anything I've ever experienced. Watching my nipper bat his team to victory, from a losing position, with 2 balls to spare, was brilliant, especially as he was facing county standard bowlers http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.uk/Sport/Junior-side-celebrate-county-cup-success-04072013.htm

Saying that, his batting was shocking today but he bowled beautifully to sow up the league with a game to spare.

Whilst I enjoy watching him play football during the winter the cricket set up, ethos and coaching is a utterly superior.

P1010527.JPG

P1010535.JPG

Edited by View From The Top

Those who play on the Hampshire League on a Saturday and who play within the boundaries are:

Southampton Community II - Millbroom Rec

Southampton Travellers - Lordshill

Riverside CC - Riverside Park

Biggest problem is lack of decent facilities and pitches within the City, although in the midweek leagues there are a number of clubs making use of the Council pitches (above plus Sports Centre, Hoglands etc).

As others have said, I think most Sotonians venture out of the City to play their cricket, where space is not a premium and there are clubs with a long history.

Coincidently, my club are touring down there in a couple of weeks time, we are staying in Bournemouth but a couple of the fixtures are Southampton way.

Anybody got the heads up on any of these clubs - grounds, pitches, playing standards, teas, beers?????

Hythe and Dibden CC

Sarisbury Athletic CC

We also play Dorset side Sixpenny Handley.

Sarisbury have good facilities' date=' 2 grounds at Allotment Road(where social club is) plus Sarisbury Green itself which is just off A27, at top of hill as you come up from Swanwick[/quote']

Cheers for info, didn't know about the 'new' ground, my dad used to play on Sarisbury Green in his yoof; guess it would have been in the late 50's! That makes me feel very old!

There are over thirty cricket clubs within thirty minutes of Southampton, which equates to probably well over a hundred teams as many have four teams. Many of them also have thriving youth set ups.