What did this place used to be like

Delboy Dave

It used to be brilliant, some great threads, lots of witty, informative and knowledgable posters, threads would go on for weeks. There used to be loads of good posters on here but they don't bother any more and you can see why!!

Too many trolls with a sad obsessive compulsive desire to spend most of each day on this planet behind a keyboard either slagging other people off or being hugely, pathetically annoying.

If there were a forum with S-Clarke and a handful of others debating meaningfully I would be on it in a flash.

The trolls have won here; time to leave them to their petty squabbling and move on.

It's true to say that some of the better posters don't post here any more. The ones who had a bit of wit and banter and could handle a bit of p*ss taking and being taken the p*ss out of while chatting about Saints and other related issues. The infraction system kind of sums up why this place lost it; takes it itself too seriously. The spin off b-anter site tried to keep some of the old site ethos going.

It's true to say that some of the better posters don't post here any more. The ones who had a bit of wit and banter and could handle a bit of p*ss taking and being taken the p*ss out of while chatting about Saints and other related issues. The infraction system kind of sums up why this place lost it; takes it itself too seriously. The spin off b-anter site tried to keep some of the old site ethos going.

It is sad that if you take the p*ss on here or even challenge someone's view in some cases you're immediately accused of trolling or bullying.

If all the people who only post to tell people why they don't post actually did post something meaningful then maybe they can contribute towards a forum which they will actually enjoy rather than just pathetically complain and moan about. If you can't handle a bit of text on the internet then it's a bit pathetic IMO.

It is sad that if you take the p*ss on here or even challenge someone's view in some cases you're immediately accused of trolling or bullying.

Very true. This place is still very good for a bit of occasional behind the scenes news, rumours and general Saints chat; but it seems to have become filled with a lot more sensitive posters over the years and lost a lot of the humour that made it really decent.

If all the people who only post to tell people why they don't post actually did post something meaningful then maybe they can contribute towards a forum which they will actually enjoy rather than just pathetically complain and moan about. If you can't handle a bit of text on the internet then it's a bit pathetic IMO.
Exactly. Plus it's a myth that there is a limited number of posters on here. Probably a couple of hundred different posters on the hcdajfu thread, how many other forums could boast that.

Exactly the same as it is now. Some good posters, some funny posters, some utter helmets.

This is probably about right. There have always been those who want to be seen as forum "characters" because it makes them seem important althought the numbers seem to have grown. Maybe because I am an old git, I enjoy sensible debate. Maybe that's not "cool" anymore.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is probably about right. There have always been those who want to be seen as forum "characters" because it makes them seem important althought the numbers seem to have grown. Maybe because I am an old git, I enjoy sensible debate. Maybe that's not "cool" anymore.

Well said that man

Personally I think the worst thing to happen to this place, and possibly one of the most embarrassing for saints fans generally, is mlg.

His weird compulsion to post the same thing everywhere over and over, his autism and lack of humour has turned it into petty bickering and a with or against attitude.

Even everyone's bête noir of alpine has a sense of humour and can handle a **** take. Mlg just goes berserk with "facts" and bores the place so it's almost unreadable

Personally I think the worst thing to happen to this place, and possibly one of the most embarrassing for saints fans generally, is mlg.

His weird compulsion to post the same thing everywhere over and over, his autism and lack of humour has turned it into petty bickering and a with or against attitude.

Even everyone's bête noir of alpine has a sense of humour and can handle a **** take. Mlg just goes berserk with "facts" and bores the place so it's almost unreadable

I don't have a problem with MLG. He may be a bit "Sheldon Cooper" but he is genuine in his posts. He is not trying to be something that he is not.

If things had not changed...they would have stayed the same way as they were......confusious 1179 BC:rolleyes:

As you all well know......YOU lot have got me Alpine and Dalek as great friends...:p

All us Three Musketeeeers have got...is you shower..:scared:

But we luv you all:D

Sent from my bunker in the Devon hills...by use of flags semaphore:rolleyes:

Edited by ottery st mary

I don't have a problem with MLG. He may be a bit "Sheldon Cooper" but he is genuine in his posts. He is not trying to be something that he is not.

It's nothing to do with trying to be something's he's not though. It's just that he's painfully dull, completely over the top (in an Iraqi information minister way) and just bickers constantly even when people are clearly taking the ****.

Id even forgive his insane belief in everything the club said if he didnt have to jump down everyone's throat and not let people have a laugh.

Honestly he's a real embarrassment to saints fans, I mean that Celtic forum thing doesn't just make me cringe it hands down makes our club a joke

Back in the old days posters never used to feel the need to inform other users what device they were posting from. :lol:

So that's the best you can do? I haven't set it deliberately and don't know how to turn it off but fill your boots.

So that's the best you can do? I haven't set it deliberately and don't know how to turn it off but fill your boots.

Is the heat making you even more grumpy today mog? What are you on about fill your boots, do you want me to come over and switch it off for you?

Sent from my lounge using a laptop and wireless broadband

You are like a father figure to me....

One of my fave posters...

Idolised you since I was a little boy..

Go with the flow pops

Do not give in...you are one of us and a fan..

Sent via smoke signals from the valleys of East Devon...

Edited by ottery st mary

In the old days the trolls were home grown, but I know from a PM I received recently from someone who's ITK, many of the people being called trolls on here now are actually based in India as Baj outsourced the trolling rights in a move to free up extra cash for the mods curry night, and to help fund Just Mikes sex change op.

I won't 'out' all of the people I've been made aware of at this point, but I know that Glasgow is actually a young chap called Sumeete kalawapudi who's based in Mumbai

Sent by a 3rd party internet providings service using ban cans and string

A brief history :)

When the site was set up - even before Amy was around! - it looked like this [archive pic from Keith's bedroom].

Old-Computer.jpg

Fast forward a couple of years to the Boj takeover era :

comp2.jpg

A certain Taxi driver joined up using one of these :

0oldcomps.jpg

Archive pic of Ponty winning his 'mod of the year' trophy :

http://globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/director_of_technology_full.jpg

His back garden the day after StLandrew was fired by Boj :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsosQtbzF_P8eUTjjAE-QoHlXJHU8XnBiyIg5NSEYQvPOWvUd5

DullDays / Batman registered from beneath the Pacific :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQvplHFulsfult1jgKm1YNea5wRVcGXewbzul3sFs1CMgYvTTu

Which brings us right up to today and Steve's bedsit :)

C_67_article_2059298_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage-4154150.jpg

^^^^ :lol: Good post weston super saint. Once the forum has the functionality built in for us to like posts (which Baj said a few months ago he'd sort) I'll come back to your post and 'like' it. In the mean time I'll give you +1 reputations point

In the old days the trolls were home grown, but I know from a PM I received recently from someone who's ITK, many of the people being called trolls on here now are actually based in India as Baj outsourced the trolling rights in a move to free up extra cash for the mods curry night, and to help fund Just Mikes sex change op.

I won't 'out' all of the people I've been made aware of at this point, but I know that Glasgow is actually a young chap called Sumeete kalawapudi who's based in Mumbai

Sent by a 3rd party internet providings service using ban cans and string

I dont think i would be included in many posters top 10 "troll" list

Maybe top 10 "ITK" sure

I have 160+ friends on here....... Makes me the most popular SWF poster EVER!!!!!!

Maybe top 10 "ITK" sure

I have 160+ friends on here....... Makes me the most popular SWF poster EVER!!!!!!

Quite right Sumeete, when I did a straw poll of members by pm recently you came in a number 28 on the list of biggest trolls, you were only 157th in the ITK chart, however after recent events I'm pretty sure you'll be top 5 when the next poll is taken, which is a staggering rise in such a short space of time. You are exceeding all service levels.

Is the heat making you even more grumpy today mog? What are you on about fill your boots, do you want me to come over and switch it off for you?

Sent from my lounge using a laptop and wireless broadband

Do whatever you want. There are far more important things to worry about than whether my phone sends an automatic message or not.

Do whatever you want. There are far more important things to worry about than whether my phone sends an automatic message or not.

:lol: :lol: I hope you're just being ironic by appearing to be offended that someone joked about your automated signature message, but then claiming there are more important things to worry about! Of course you are, there's no way you'd really be that miserable.... is there....... oh.

:lol: :lol: I hope you're just being ironic by appearing to be offended that someone joked about your automated signature message, but then claiming there are more important things to worry about! Of course you are, there's no way you'd really be that miserable.... is there....... oh.

Ironic, offended? Neither really. I am really up for a good debate on any subject and quite enjoy a bit of intelligent banter. What does annoy me is when people think that being "clever", trolling or "ironic" on an internet forum makes them important. You may think that I am over-reacting or just being an old git but I am entitled to my opinion.....apparently.

Maybe top 10 "ITK" sure

thats only because you begged people to be your friend lol

I miss NickH although I do see him everyday, he's great

This place used to be almost perfect in everyway. Each and every poster contributed with well thought out and reasoned opinion and people were able to accept and actually encourage other opinions which differ. The banter was brilliant without ever crossing the line of wumming or trolling. Not a single person had any reason to whine and moan and respect poured out of every thread and invited people from all walks of life to join in.

Sadly, a handful of posters have diseased this once great forum and I wonder if the darkness will ever be lifted. Until such a time, I won't post here any more as this place isn't what it used to be and none of good posters bother and I can see why.

I had a much longer post originally, but here it is, summed up. The site has failed to move with the times and is suffering for it.

Example. "Everyone is always arguing". Complete nonsense. The vast majority of people have a quiet chortle and move on. The site doesn't reflect the wry grin of the majority; it's held hostage to the people who fancy bickering over nothing, because polls aside, posts are the only currency.

Generalised, the two main arguments on the main board are:-

1) "I believe something good will happen with the club" vs "no it won't, you spanner!"

2) "I have heard that something bad will happen to the club" vs "how can this possibly be?"

My retinue of internet locations features a number of different moderation systems. Though I think the moderators are alright chaps, and have never whined about any of my infractions, the system that they work under is fundamentally flawed. First, the established etiquette rules don't reflect the target audience. I seriously do not understand the difference between f*ck and one supplied with a "u". Plausible deniability, perhaps? ("In all fairness, he might have said fick!"). Much larger forums allow it, and guess what, it's not a constant stream of effing and blinding. The other problem is the system itself, when viewed uncharitably, might be seen as "bung out the bad points when things get out of hand". Some ideas I like from other sites; "like", poster rep, voting to close a post, turn into a community wiki, etc.

The biggest problem with this site is the perception of this site. If a fan of another club visited here and left with the impression that we were a bunch of tarts arguing about nothing, I couldn't necessarily condemn them for it. Personally, I think we have some excellent contributors from all over the world, but it's a case of the vocal minority looking larger than they are, precisely because they post more and there is no other means of interaction. I've brought this up with the mods and they either ignore it or seem paralysed by the options. Start simple. A "like" button would sort a lot of stuff out immediately.

Good post pap. The 'like' option was suggested in site suggestions and never even got a response. I've even spoken to Baj about it and he said he's get it sorted (that was about 3 months ago).

In my opinion one of the problems is that those who are supposed to be in charge aren't really bothered any more. People change, people move on, fair enough. But if Baj & Steve don't want to spare the time on this any more, they should pass on some of the responsibility to people who do have the time and interest.

Good post pap. The 'like' option was suggested in site suggestions and never even got a response. I've even spoken to Baj about it and he said he's get it sorted (that was about 3 months ago).

In my opinion one of the problems is that those who are supposed to be in charge aren't really bothered any more. People change, people move on, fair enough. But if Baj & Steve don't want to spare the time on this any more, they should pass on some of the responsibility to people who do have the time and interest.

I really don't sense that big of a change? What am I missing?

I really don't sense that big of a change? What am I missing?

It depends what time period I guess....

Certainly since the main saints forum has been saintsweb, I don't think the change has been that dramatic in the past few years. However Baj isn't on here much any more, steve's on a bit more but keeps a low profile when it comes to moderation. There's been people commenting for months about inconsistency between different moderators, there's a site suggestion area where people make suggestions and don't even get a response. I made a suggestion to Steve a while ago about splitting the Lounge/Muppet show out into a totally separate sister forum, where rules could be more relaxed with separate memberships so that people banned from the main site could still post in the other site, but he wasn't interested. Some of us are paying a fiver to be full members, you'd think we'd at least get responses from the suggestion area. I just get the impression those in charge aren't really behind running the forum like they used to be, but of course I maybe totally wrong.

As for the difference between the forum these day and when it was SaintsForever, well the gap really is much bigger in my opinion. I used to read the main forum on my lunch breaks at work and have to apologise to my colleagues sometimes for laughing out loud. People would be asking what was so funny, the conversion on the main board really was much more humorous, people having a bit of fun, but it was mainly taken in jest.

It is a well known fact that females under the age of 30 are not worth talking too

as they have nothing of interest to say to us intelligent men.

This also applies to a lot of young posters + quite a few of those who are over 30

but under 60 years old.

Therefore I suggest that "young" posters should be allocated to a 60+year old poster who

can then pre-mod what these young persons wish to say so as to avoid problems.

Maybe top 10 "ITK" sure

I'm your" friend", but I still think you're a c*nt. :lol:

There are a couple of issues at play here. First, as you rightly point out, the mods are largely invisible here. In one sense, that's good; because they're not jackbooting on every little point, and much respect to them for not throwing their opinions about, but perhaps they need to. A backseat approach has problems of its own. Nature abhors a vacuum; weirdly enough, that counts double on football forums. People moan about Nick Ilingsworth and the UI in general, but for all the flak that bloke gets (and I really don't agree with him on much), he's still actively participating on that site, still trying to set the agenda. I have a lot of respect for the continued effort, even if I don't agree with the content. Spend any amount of time over there and you quickly realise SaintNick is the main admin, plus you get an idea of his dynamic with other posters. Nick runs that site in a sense that doesn't happen here.

I think the other problem might just be technical; being locked into a specific, off-the-shelf forum solution that either doesn't lend itself to development or has no resource available.