Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

Not strictly contract related, but for those that care, I'm told Romeu has taken the no.6 shirt and Gabbiadini is no.9 now that Jay-Rod has moved on. Should be confirmed within a few weeks.

Cool! Both vacant & both make sense.

I have updated the opening post with the new scholars announced yesterday and the contract extensions announced today. However, today's announcement does not say how long the contracts run, which is unhelpful as far as this thread is concerned! I've made an assumption they are all 2 year deals - unlikely to be too far out!

Edited by Over land and sea

I have updated the opening post with the new scholars announced yesterday and the contract extensions announced today. However, today's announcement does not say how long the contracts run, which is unhelpful as far as this thread is concerned! I've made an assumption they are all 2 year deals - unlikely to be too far out!

Edited by Over land and sea

Big season coming up for him.

Massive season if Bertrand goes.

I hope Bertrand stays. If he doesn't, Targett is nowhere near good enough to be our first choice LB. He is too slow, and doesn't read the game well enough, sadly.

Maya needs and deserves a new contract

This! In these days of questionable loyalty Maya stands out as the captain of Japan he would have been within his rights to demand a move when getting little game time however he hung on played out of position whenever called upon and has been a model of loyalty when others around him have faltered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I saw this on Twitter earlier but I must confess I Know nothing about him. Can anyone provide an assessment of his prospects?

Joined from Bury, I believe. I think he's a winger & with players like him, we just have to wait and see how he gets on.

Will be interesting to see if he gets any U23 games before the end of the season.

On a side-note, this thread is awesome. Over land and sea does a top job on this.

• 1 month later...
Original post updated with transfer window changes (e.g. Carrillo and noting loans for Targett, Barnes, Cook and the return of Olomola).

The list of contracts ending in 2018 remains pretty extensive. It's beginning to look as if we will have a lengthy released list in May.

Firstly, thanks for all your work on this.

Secondly, agreed, but we also need to sell a few. If my maths is right, including all of the players out on loan (but not sims who I think will be under 21 next season) we'll have 30 senior pros on our books come the end of the season. I'd imagine Taylor, gardos and pied will get released, but given that we will be needing at the very least a right back, centre back and winger, that's a lot of players we need to shift on.

If we released or sold no one we would have 34 players over 21 - the 24 we named this time, the four out on loan (Clasie, Targett, Reed, Gallagher) plus Bednarek, Flannigan, Wood, Hesketh, Barnes and Seager from the current under 21 list who will qualify as over 21 by then.

In reality, of course, some of the 34 will have departed by the start of 2018-19. The following will be out of contract by then:

Rose

Taylor

Pied

Wood

Gardos

Flannigan

But even if all these leave we have 28 players that are over 21. And that’s before we buy anyone. So sales to get the numbers down do look inevitable.

Interesting discussion. Basically, if we are still in the Prem, it will be a very nice problem to have!

If we go down, I can see 20 players bailing anyway!

If we are in the PL then this shows a clearout is needed. Could happily let the following go/sell for suitable bids:

Taylor

Forster (?)

Gardos

Pied

Yoshida (too similar to Stephens)

McQueen

Reed

Clasie

Davis (?)

Redmond

Long

Austin

Seager

Barnes

Olomola

If we are in the PL then this shows a clearout is needed. Could happily let the following go/sell for suitable bids:

Taylor

Forster (?)

Gardos

Pied

McQueen

Reed

Clasie

Davis (?)

Redmond

Long

Austin

Seager

Barnes

Olomola

Are all out of contract anyway.

Would keep some of them myself, TBH. Can certainly see 1 striker leave (at least) as we'd have 4 for 1 position.

Anyways, lets cross this bridge if we come to it. Lets try and stay in the division for now.

Trouble is, who amongst our squad would be wanted for decent money? Forsters on a fortune, classie can't seem to get in a team in belguim, reed isn't playing regularly, neither seager. Barnes injured. Think we might see a few go on free transfers or out on loan next season.

If we survive, that is ...

One other question from me, I see Alfie Jones' contract is up in June. Wasn't he meant to be the next big prospect? Anyone know if it's our choice, his choice or just ongoing negotiations? Can imagine he'd have doubts about the pathway having bought bednarek, but maybe we bought him because we knew Jones would be off? Pure speculation on my part.

Taylor

Forster (?)

Gardos

Pied

McQueen

Reed

Clasie

Davis (?)

Redmond

Long

Austin

Seager

Barnes

Olomola

I would keep Forster, Yoshida, McQueen, Long and Austin from that list. Maybe let Long go if we bring Gallagher back, but I will miss him because my 82 year old father will no longer have anyone to complain about!

One other question from me, I see Alfie Jones' contract is up in June. Wasn't he meant to be the next big prospect? Anyone know if it's our choice, his choice or just ongoing negotiations? Can imagine he'd have doubts about the pathway having bought bednarek, but maybe we bought him because we knew Jones would be off? Pure speculation on my part.

If Jones doesn't sign long term, it will come back to bite us IMO.

If Jones doesn't sign long term, it will come back to bite us IMO.

Has always been thought of as our best defensive prospect. I've been surprised to see him play central midfield in a few games.

A new contract & a loan move would be great for us (& him).

Has always been thought of as our best defensive prospect. I've been surprised to see him play central midfield in a few games.

A new contract & a loan move would be great for us (& him).

I think it's good for young defenders to spend some time playing in midfield helps with confidence on the ball and passing etc.

I think it's good for young defenders to spend some time playing in midfield helps with confidence on the ball and passing etc.

I hope it means that as he understands the role of the person he'll often be passing to that he'll be able to pick his passes better and understand what other options might be better in different circumstances. Also means he can play a variety of roles.