Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be surprised to see Pied go tbh, though maybe we've got plans for Valery, or think Stephens can cover RB as well... also I'd be quite surprised to see Ben Cull released following his illness, but I've got no idea how he's been doing since he got the all-clear, so might be wishful thinking on my part.

Always amused by these threads when people say who they want to release without any consideration of existing contract duration.

I'd be surprised to see Pied go tbh, though maybe we've got plans for Valery, or think Stephens can cover RB as well... also I'd be quite surprised to see Ben Cull released following his illness, but I've got no idea how he's been doing since he got the all-clear, so might be wishful thinking on my part.

Always amused by these threads when people say who they want to release without any consideration of existing contract duration.

It's tradition for Saints to get relegated and hold a lottery for who plays at right-back in the championship.

• 5 weeks later...

While relegation is not confirmed, it is now much more likely than not. On past performance we will prioritise cutting costs over what we need next season (though actually I think this overlaps in many cases).

I'd expect us to release most if not all of the 20 players who will be out of contract, namely:

Jack Rose

Stuart Taylor

Kingsley Latham

Jérémy Pied

Richard Bakary

Harrison Davis

Alfie Jones

Florin Gardoș

Aaron O'Driscoll

Oliver Gardner

Ollie Cook

Will Wood

Ben Cull

Jake Flannigan

Thomas O'Connor

Javen Siu

Armani Little

Tyreke Johnson

Olufela Olomola

Dan N'Lundulu

Jonathan Afolabi

Few of these have challenged the first team and I think we'd have offered terms by now if we wanted to keep them. I'd expect Alfie Jones to be offered a deal but he will get offered something better elsewhere. I think Pied could do a job in the Championship but I expect us to seek a cheaper option. We may keep one of the keepers as back up.

I'd expect us to try to cash in on first team players that:

- are too expensive to keep or

- are too good for the Championship/think they are too good for the Championship

namely:

Fraser Forster

Cédric Soares

Wesley Hoedt

Matt Targett

Ryan Bertrand

Oriol Romeu

Mario Lemina

James Ward-Prowse

Dušan Tadić

Sofiane Boufal

Guido Carrillo

Manolo Gabbiadini

(There may also be some interest in the likes of McQueen, Long and Sims which I'm sure we'd concede if the money was right.)

Of course, we will find it difficult to shift some of these, particularly as we will try to hold out for unrealistic prices (which in some cases would leave us with overpaid and unmotivated players). Ideally we would try to keep the likes of Romeu, JWP and Targett but I think that is unlikely.

If we did manage to sell the players above that would leave a first team squad of

Alex McCarthy

Harry Lewis

Yan Valery

Jan Bednarek

Jack Stephens

Maya Yoshida

Sam McQueen

Jake Vokins

Jordy Classie

Pierre Højbjerg

Steven Davis

Harrison Reed

Callum Slattery

Josh Sims

Jake Hesketh

Nathan Redmond

Shane Long

Charlie Austin

Sam Gallagher

Ryan Seager

Michael Obafemi

Marcus Barnes

Backed up with Development Squad (excluding scholars)

Adam Parkes

Alex Cull

Kieran Freeman

Christoph Klarer

Jamie Bradley-Green

Ben Rowthorn

Harry Hamblin

Will Smallbone

Nathan Tella

Harlem Hale

Siph Mdlalose

If we were to reinvest the money we do get (which will, of course, be nowhere near what we paid in most cases) on proven Championship quality players (particularly to strengthen the defence) and add a manager who knows what is needed, we ought to be able to compete at that level rather than be in for another relegation scrap. We would need to make a number of high quality signings (which we have not made for a long time) in order to make the team a promotion seeking one.

I wonder how many people at the club will lose their jobs as well. People who don’t earn a great deal but will have their families futures potentially affected by the half wit players who over the course of a season couldn’t be arsed to put a shift in.

Why we rewarded that useless lump Forster with a new long term improved contract when he was already waning shows once again the total ineptitude that is running through the club these days. The roads all lead to one man. Les Reed.

It's worse than that. A new 5 year contract a year after he'd signed a new 5 year contract. Bemused.

While relegation is not confirmed, it is now much more likely than not. On past performance we will prioritise cutting costs over what we need next season (though actually I think this overlaps in many cases).

I'd expect us to release most if not all of the 20 players who will be out of contract, namely:

Jack Rose

Stuart Taylor

Kingsley Latham

Jérémy Pied

Richard Bakary

Harrison Davis

Alfie Jones

Florin Gardoș

Aaron O'Driscoll

Oliver Gardner

Ollie Cook

Will Wood

Ben Cull

Jake Flannigan

Thomas O'Connor

Javen Siu

Armani Little

Tyreke Johnson

Olufela Olomola

Dan N'Lundulu

Jonathan Afolabi

Few of these have challenged the first team and I think we'd have offered terms by now if we wanted to keep them. I'd expect Alfie Jones to be offered a deal but he will get offered something better elsewhere. I think Pied could do a job in the Championship but I expect us to seek a cheaper option. We may keep one of the keepers as back up.

I'd expect us to try to cash in on first team players that:

- are too expensive to keep or

- are too good for the Championship/think they are too good for the Championship

namely:

Fraser Forster

Cédric Soares

Wesley Hoedt

Matt Targett

Ryan Bertrand

Oriol Romeu

Mario Lemina

James Ward-Prowse

Dušan Tadić

Sofiane Boufal

Guido Carrillo

Manolo Gabbiadini

(There may also be some interest in the likes of McQueen, Long and Sims which I'm sure we'd concede if the money was right.)

Of course, we will find it difficult to shift some of these, particularly as we will try to hold out for unrealistic prices (which in some cases would leave us with overpaid and unmotivated players). Ideally we would try to keep the likes of Romeu, JWP and Targett but I think that is unlikely.

If we did manage to sell the players above that would leave a first team squad of

Alex McCarthy

Harry Lewis

Yan Valery

Jan Bednarek

Jack Stephens

Maya Yoshida

Sam McQueen

Jake Vokins

Jordy Classie

Pierre Højbjerg

Steven Davis

Harrison Reed

Callum Slattery

Josh Sims

Jake Hesketh

Nathan Redmond

Shane Long

Charlie Austin

Sam Gallagher

Ryan Seager

Michael Obafemi

Marcus Barnes

Backed up with Development Squad (excluding scholars)

Adam Parkes

Alex Cull

Kieran Freeman

Christoph Klarer

Jamie Bradley-Green

Ben Rowthorn

Harry Hamblin

Will Smallbone

Nathan Tella

Harlem Hale

Siph Mdlalose

If we were to reinvest the money we do get (which will, of course, be nowhere near what we paid in most cases) on proven Championship quality players (particularly to strengthen the defence) and add a manager who knows what is needed, we ought to be able to compete at that level rather than be in for another relegation scrap. We would need to make a number of high quality signings (which we have not made for a long time) in order to make the team a promotion seeking one.

Think a lot more will leave, mainly on loan, due to the ridiculous wages we pay and none of our players having relegation wage drops in their contracts. Relegation will be disastrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think a lot more will leave, mainly on loan, due to the ridiculous wages we pay and none of our players having relegation wage drops in their contracts. Relegation will be disastrous.

Do you have any evidence that none of our players have relegation wage cut clauses?

Do you have any evidence that none of our players have relegation wage cut clauses?

No proof but when the majority of the deals were signed our stated ambition was champions league, not avoiding relegation, so relegation wage cuts and release clauses would be unlikely to be included

No proof but when the majority of the deals were signed our stated ambition was champions league, not avoiding relegation, so relegation wage cuts and release clauses would be unlikely to be included

I still can't see that. A wage cut in the event of relegation doesn't harm the player, he'd be off if we got relegated anyway. For clubs of our size relegation is always a possibility, so it would have to be complete ****-poor management at the top if they've allowed the contracts to get to that level. I wouldn't put it past them....but I still think it's unlikley.

I still can't see that. A wage cut in the event of relegation doesn't harm the player, he'd be off if we got relegated anyway. For clubs of our size relegation is always a possibility, so it would have to be complete ****-poor management at the top if they've allowed the contracts to get to that level. I wouldn't put it past them....but I still think it's unlikley.

This is Les Reed we are talking about !

If we do go down, and the owner decides he is best off trying to clear the £200m he borrowed, I wonder how close he could get to that, while still leaving the club as a viable entity, ie with a lower end Championship playing budget ?

Presumably there is some of the VVD money left. Several recent signings will be hard to make much money on, over and above the outstanding transfer payments, and the balance of player contracts we may have to fulfill if they get worse deals elsewhere.

We'd make decent money on a few where there is little outstanding transfer fee : Bertrand, Cedric, Romeu, JWP, Tadic,Yoshida, possibly Stephens and Sims. There are also parachute payments to take into consideration.

Any thoughts?

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't have clauses. Think how arrogant we come across in club-fed spin articles.

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't have clauses. Think how arrogant we come across in club-fed spin articles.

I have been told by a close contact of one of our first team squad (not subject to a transfer in btw) that his contract allows for a 50% wage reduction on relegation.

Hopefully this is correct and covers all players.

I have been told by a close contact of one of our first team squad (not subject to a transfer in btw) that his contract allows for a 50% wage reduction on relegation.

Hopefully this is correct and covers all players.

I would be amazed if all the players didn't have wage cut clauses. The accountants and lawyers the club employs would insist on them and as mentioned above, the players (and their agents) will be happy to agree to them as if we go down, they will get a move. It also help with their negotiation, they are seen to be giving something up [wage cut clause], so can push for something back in return [image rights % or whatever].

Another point to note, pretty sure Les Reed is not hand-drafting all of these contracts page by page. He may lead negotiations, but it is likely our lawyer to the player's lawyer (via agency) who will run the minutiae. So points about him being negligent enough to not include clauses etc are a touch nonsensical.

Having said that, we will still not be able to afford many of our squad in champo, even with parachutes (as I don't expect us to run at a major loss) so we will still need to ship out a fair few. It should make it easier for us to get rid of players though, as most prem / foreign clubs should be able to better their current contracts (i.e. give them more than 50% of their current wage). I think the perception of our players outside of the club is that we have a lot of talent here. This is likely why Pellegrino's poor performance was not highlighted more regularly in mainstream media, everyone assumed we have a load of good players and would be fine. As such, I think there will be a lot more interest in our players than many on this forum suspect. Poor performance this season will likely be (rightly or wrongly) attributed to poor management from Pell etc.

I think our biggest issue will be sorting out the management swiftly. If we appoint quickly (and someone good) they will have time to look at the squad, decide who if any they want to try and keep (Austin?) and balance their wage bill accordingly. We will have a decent chance to go back up in first or 2nd season, but we have to get things right. Otherwise, I could see us remaining in champo for quite some time.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like Olufela Olomola has been released, so expect to hear news of others soon.

I've watched him a lot this season and it does not surprise me at all.Sadly, not very imaginative and extremely one dimensional. Like a poor man's Charlie Austin, can't hold the ball and always in the wrong place at the wrong time. League 2 player at best.

I've watched him a lot this season and it does not surprise me at all.Sadly, not very imaginative and extremely one dimensional. Like a poor man's Charlie Austin, can't hold the ball and always in the wrong place at the wrong time. League 2 player at best.

Should have moved to Yeovil on a permanent deal in January.

He would have got a move to a higher level soon enough.

Should have moved to Yeovil on a permanent deal in January.

He would have got a move to a higher level soon enough.

Yeovil wanted him to stay, he wanted to stay with them. Saints wanted him back to assess him. Looks like assessment is over and I expect Yeovil will announce him very soon.

Edited by the saint in winchester

It looks like Neymar is set to leave PSG, he’d be a good fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some fans would rather have Redmond or Long. This Neymar bloke don't put in a shift like Longy, even thou he has missed 100 one on ones and been offside more times than Papa Waigo.

I updated the OP earlier this morning to reflect Hansen’s contract. I’ll do a bigger update when the released and retained lists are announced. The Premier League deadline for submitting these lists is the third Saturday in May so there should be an announcement on or before this Saturday.

I updated the OP earlier this morning to reflect Hansen’s contract. I’ll do a bigger update when the released and retained lists are announced. The Premier League deadline for submitting these lists is the third Saturday in May so there should be an announcement on or before this Saturday.

Should be a fair few leaving. Will be interesting to see if Alfie Jones leaves.

As expected, Will Wood is leaving. Hope he finds a good club.

@Will_Wood3: Time to move on after 10 years at @southamptonfc Would like to thank all the staff for their help during that time looking forward to see what the future holds

Should be a fair few leaving. Will be interesting to see if Alfie Jones leaves.

Am I the only one thinking our good prospects have been the victims of the poor coaching going on at the youth levels lately? Seems things have gone to **** since Dodd and Williams have left !

Am I the only one thinking our good prospects have been the victims of the poor coaching going on at the youth levels lately? Seems things have gone to **** since Dodd and Williams have left !

Hard to say. The U18's had a good season this year though.