Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

Possibly, or maybe they are just sexing up the story of him leaving. He was on trial at Millwall in early April which is usually a sign that we are letting him go.

We are entitled to a development fee if we offer to renew the contract at the same terms as I understand.

If the player will get signed elsewhere and we wouldn’t mind being stuck with him if he accepted - it’s a pretty sensible thing to do.

Flannigan surely being released after having his contract renewed over and over whilst injured (and now being injured again most of this season). Gutting for any young player to have their career ruined before it's even really started by something like that.

Released/retain lists out. Steve Davis, Afolabi, Bradley-Green, Flannigan, Mdlalose, Rowthorn and scholars Harrison Davis, Fleary and Bartlett all released. New contract offers for Tella, Freeman, N’Lundulu, Olufunwa and Norton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Released/retain lists out. Steve Davis, Afolabi, Bradley-Green, Flannigan, Mdlalose, Rowthorn and scholars Harrison Davis, Fleary and Bartlett all released. New contract offers for Tella, Freeman, N’Lundulu, Olufunwa and Norton.

Always a shame to see young prospects leave. Hope they find good clubs & can make a good career for themselves.

Pleased to see Freeman get offered a new deal as he's had a nightmare with injuries for a young kid.

Always a shame to see young prospects leave. Hope they find good clubs & can make a good career for themselves.

Pleased to see Freeman get offered a new deal as he's had a nightmare with injuries for a young kid.

Yes exactly. Other interesting things were that Alex Cull is not listed as offered a new contract so his contract length must have been longer than expected, Alex Jankewitz is listed as not having signed a pro deal and Danny Ings is not listed at all (listed on Liverpool, so suggesting permanent deal hasn’t been completed yet)

Yes exactly. Other interesting things were that Alex Cull is not listed as offered a new contract so his contract length must have been longer than expected, Alex Jankewitz is listed as not having signed a pro deal and Danny Ings is not listed at all (listed on Liverpool, so suggesting permanent deal hasn’t been completed yet)

I think Jankewitz signed with an understanding that it would role into a pro-contract.

(But that's just from memory)

I think Jankewitz signed with an understanding that it would role into a pro-contract.

(But that's just from memory)

Imagine it’s just an error as he turned 17 in December, was a three year pro deal from what I remember.

Freeman seems something of a mystery. I think he is a left back that we signed from a Scottish club (Dundee?) a couple of years ago. He does not seem to have played at all yet we are apparently offering him a new contract.

Right-back, I believe.

From last year: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/southampton-and-scotland-prospect-kieran-freeman-talks-rehab-resilience-and-robertson-as-he-steps-up-comeback-bid/?rid=13925

I have updated the opening post. For the record, here are the complete lists from the PL website

Southampton

RETAINED

Contracts

Alves Soares, Cedric Ricardo

Armstrong, Stuart

Austin, Charlie

Barnes, Marcus Thomas

Bednarek, Jan

Bertrand, Ryan

Boufal, Sofiane

Brennan, Sean Anthony

Bycroft, Jack Thomas

Carrillo, Guido Marcelo

Clasie, Jordy

Cull, Alexander

El Younossi, Mohamed

Ferry, William

Forster, Fraser Gerard

Freeman, Kieran (offer)

Gallagher, Samuel James

Gunn, Angus Fraser James

Hale, Harlem

Hamblin, Harry Mark

Hansen, Kornelius Normann

Hesketh, Jake Alexander

Hoedt, Wesley

Hojbjerg, Pierre Emile Kordt

Johnson, Tyreke Martin

Jones, Alfie

Klarer, Christoph

Kozak, Simon

Kpohomouh, Pascal

Latham, Kingsley Finn

Ledwidge, Kameron Malcolm

Lemina, Mario Rene Junior

Lewis, Harry Charles John

Long, Shane Patrick

McCarthy, Alex Simon

McQueen, Samuel James

Nlundulu, Dan (offer)

O'Connor, Thomas James

O'Driscoll Aaron

Obafemi, Michael Oluwadurotimi

Ramsay, Kayne

Redmond, Nathan Daniel Jerome

Reed, Harrison James

Robise, Enzo

Rose, Jack Joseph

Sims, Joshua Samuel

Slattery, Callum

Smallbone, William Anthony Patrick

Stephens, Jack

Targett, Matthew Robert

Tchaptchet, Wandja Allan

Tella, Nathan (offer)

Valery, Yan

Vestergaard, Jannik

Vidal, Oriol Romeu

Vokins, Jake

Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward

Yoshida, Maya

Scholars

Agbontohoma, David Osaretim

Bartlett, Daniel Grahame (released)

Braithwaite, Benjamin Smales

Burnett, Ethan Darren

Cluett, Ryan

Davis, Harrison (released)

Defise, Lucas Nsiona K

Fleary, Taymar (released)

Glean, Rio Kamil

Idowu, Roland

Jankewitz, Alexandre Tounde Dimitri

Keogh, Seamas

Morris, James William

Norton, Christian Anthony (offer contract)

Olufunwa, Oludare Samuel Araba (offer contract)

Saunders, Michael

Watts, Caleb Cassius

Watts, Callum Neil

RELEASED (in addition to the scholars highlighted above):

Afolabi, Jonathan

Bradley Green, Jamie

Davis, Steven

Flannigan, Jake

Mdlalose, Siphesihle Thembinkosi

Rowthorn, Ben John

Edited by Over land and sea

It's a shame for Flannigan that he had quite a few bad injuries over the last few years as he seemed quite a good prospect. I remember watching him in a friendly against Sevilla under MP and he looked very good. I'm sure all the players that have been released will forge successful careers lower down the football pyramid. Pleased to see that Freeman has been offered a new deal, like SuperSaint said like Flannigan hes had a few bad injuries of late but hopefully hes over the worst of them now. Also a name out to watch is N'Lundulu, very pleased hes been offered a new deal. Class young forward who had a great end to the season.

Still no news on the OS about the players being released. I know they can't tell us anything we don't already know and it's not the biggest news but given some of the rubbish they cover over the summer when there is nothing to report I'd have thought it was worthy of mention as not everyone will have seen the PL website. The news also makes the OS profiles even more out of date, with a number of loan returnees to add back in. Adam Parkes was sold in January and is still listed!

Still no news on the OS about the players being released. I know they can't tell us anything we don't already know and it's not the biggest news but given some of the rubbish they cover over the summer when there is nothing to report I'd have thought it was worthy of mention as not everyone will have seen the PL website. The news also makes the OS profiles even more out of date, with a number of loan returnees to add back in. Adam Parkes was sold in January and is still listed!

Very quiet on the signing of any new scholars front too.

Normally get a few whispers of them leaving their clubs for Saints.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Retaining your best players is as important as signing new ones. A few of ours have contracts that are slowly running down.

Historically, with Clyne and Wanyama we have been backed into a corner when a good, valuable player gets to a year to run and have tended to look to sell when they have two years left

What do we think of the chances of the below signing new deals this summer:

Most Pressing:

Redmond - 2 years to go

Hojbjerg - 2 years to go

Bednarek - 3 years but on a low wage so deserves a new deal to reflect his progress

There have so far been no rumours about Hojbjerg or Redmond leaving, so makes me think we probably can persuade them to sign an extension. If we don't then we will be forced to sell next summer at a knock down price.

Bednarek should be a no brainer for all parties.

Long has a year to go, I would leave hid and let him leave on a free next summer as he is still useful for now and has little transfer value.

Anyone know how we are doing on the homegrown front now Targett has gone?

Got loads.

How many do you need from your squad, 4? I know some of these won't be over 21 but, surely enough. Wonder what will happen with Barnes.

Barnes, Marcus Thomas

Brennan, Sean Anthony

Bycroft, Jack Thomas

Cull, Alexander

Freeman, Kieran (offer)

Gallagher, Samuel James

Hale, Harlem

Hamblin, Harry Mark

Hansen, Kornelius Normann

Hesketh, Jake Alexander

Johnson, Tyreke Martin

Jones, Alfie

Kpohomouh, Pascal

Latham, Kingsley Finn

Ledwidge, Kameron Malcolm

Lewis, Harry Charles John

McQueen, Samuel James

Nlundulu, Dan (offer)

O'Connor, Thomas James

O'Driscoll Aaron

Obafemi, Michael Oluwadurotimi

Ramsay, Kayne

Reed, Harrison James

Robise, Enzo

Sims, Joshua Samuel

Slattery, Callum

Smallbone, William Anthony Patrick

Stephens, Jack

Tchaptchet, Wandja Allan

Tella, Nathan (offer)

Valery, Yan

Vokins, Jake

Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward

ATM we have Valery, JWP, Reed,

Got loads.

How many do you need from your squad, 4? I know some of these won't be over 21 but, surely enough. Wonder what will happen with Barnes.

You need 8 home grown players over the age of 21 if you are going to have a full squad of 25 (you can have a maximum of 17 non home grown players). We were already well stocked with home grown players last season, this reqlly isn't an issue any more.

McCarthy, Stephens, Long, Ings, Austin, Gallagher, Ward-Prowse, Bertrand, Redmond, Gunn, Sims, Forster, Barnes, Adams. I make that 14 and I suspect there are one or two more that are now "21 or over" that weren't last season. I think we only have 9 non-homegrown over 21 players at the moment.

Currently

You need 8 home grown players over the age of 21 if you are going to have a full squad of 25 (you can have a maximum of 17 non home grown players). We were already well stocked with home grown players last season, this reqlly isn't an issue any more.

McCarthy, Stephens, Long, Ings, Austin, Gallagher, Ward-Prowse, Bertrand, Redmond, Gunn, Sims, Forster, Barnes, Adams. I make that 14 and I suspect there are one or two more that are now "21 or over" that weren't last season. I think we only have 9 non-homegrown over 21 players at the moment.

Currently

Don't you need 8 country home grown, and 4 club homegrown?

Alfie Jones has just joined Gillingham on a season long loan deal. That's quite interesting as this decision has been made very quickly and I thought that Ralph may want to have a look at him in pre-season. Good move for Alfie though and im sure we will keep an eye on his progress.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-07-02/alfie-jones-southampton-gillingham-loan-move-announcement

Edited by davefizzy14

Clearly made a decision to give him a year out on loan rather than play for our reserves, similar to what Stephens did at Swindon.

Might mean either we have a CB lined up, or we're not sure we'll be able to get rid of Stephens or Hoedt. Or maybe just think he's not ready to be 4th choice.

Clearly made a decision to give him a year out on loan rather than play for our reserves, similar to what Stephens did at Swindon.

Might mean either we have a CB lined up, or we're not sure we'll be able to get rid of Stephens or Hoedt. Or maybe just think he's not ready to be 4th choice.

Or maybe he's in the way of Christoph Klarer who looks to be a promising CB?

Great news this! :)
N'Lundulu in particular has the makings of a strong, pacy, old-fashioned CF who has an eye for goal. I'd place a small wager that he makes his first team debut this season.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good to see Kieran Freeman included in this quartet. He was hailed as a "wonder-kid" when he joined the Saints academy from Dundee Utd in 2016 but has since suffered a meniscus tear sandwiched between two ACL injuries. There must have been fears for his future in the game after such a run of serious injuries but looks like he's now been given a clean bill of health. Will be interesting to see if he lives up to the original hype.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56726-Southampton-set-to-sign-starlet-Kieran-Freeman#.XSJhu8Yo80M

Edited by trousers

N'Lundulu in particular has the makings of a strong, pacy, old-fashioned CF who has an eye for goal. I'd place a small wager that he makes his first team debut this season.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah I agree with this. He seems very hungry to break into the first team as soon as possible and he has got all the qualities to succeed. I think he will be in Ralph's thoughts already.

• 2 weeks later...

Need Hojbjerg and Bednarek to sign one ones. Hojbjerg especially is quite a pressing need.

Noticed when Redmond signed that RH made a comment along the lines of it maybe helping others to commit as well, which I took to be PEH.