Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

Where has this been confirmed? I know he is out of contract, but I've not seen anything from the club confirming this, or anything about Olomola.

Olomola is confirmed:

fellz32: After 4 amazing years at @Southampton its time for me to move on. Thank you to all the players and staff for your support I will miss you all

Source:

If this is a serious suggestion then... wow just wow! :mcinnes:

Alderweireld wants to leave Spurs because they don't pay him enough. If he leaves it'll be to a Champions League team for wages of £180,000+ p/w.

That's the trouble with you chaps, you expect the Club to have high ambitions but set your own sites far too low. Why are we even discussi

That's the trouble with you chaps, you expect the Club to have high ambitions but set your own sites far too low. Why are we even discussi

To think Alderweireld is a realistic target is not being ambitious... it is being as mad as a box of frogs! If he leaves Spurs it will be for another Champions League club and bigger wages than he is currently on.

Where has this been confirmed? I know he is out of contract, but I've not seen anything from the club confirming this, or anything about Olomola.

I'll have a look shortly, but it was on some article summarising all the released players which I picked up on some feed. Busy, be back later.

I'll have a look shortly, but it was on some article summarising all the released players which I picked up on some feed. Busy, be back later.

The club have made no announcement (yet) on players with contracts due to expire on 30th June 2018.

Last year Saints made the announcement on 25th May ...

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-05-25/southampton-2017-retained-list-players-released

What you saw was most likely a list of players that are out of contract this summer, possibly something like this...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/11375877/out-of-contract-premier-league-players-who-could-leave-for-free-this-summer

Just because they are out of contract doesn't mean they won't be offered one.

Edited by Matthew Le God

@SouthamptonFC: Young #SaintsFC forward @olomola has today joined @SUFCOfficial on a free transfer

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-05-21/olufela-olomola-makes-s****horpe-united-switch-southampton

DdtzW2qVQAUfKwY.jpg

Good luck to the youngster. I hope he proves Saints and some on this forum wrong and develops into a class forward.

One thing slightly bothers me. Should Saints be in a hurry to decide who stays and goes before appointing the manager for the coming season?

Why the hurry for the one, yet dawdle with the decision on whether to appoint Mark Hughes or another person as manager? Shouldn't the appointed manager be the person to have a say?

And who is making the decisions to release certain players? If it's Les Read I'm worried.

Good luck to the youngster. I hope he proves Saints and some on this forum wrong and develops into a class forward.

One thing slightly bothers me. Should Saints be in a hurry to decide who stays and goes before appointing the manager for the coming season?

Why the hurry for the one, yet dawdle with the decision on whether to appoint Mark Hughes or another person as manager? Shouldn't the appointed manager be the person to have a say?

And who is making the decisions to release certain players? If it's Les Read I'm worried.

What makes you think Hughes didn't have a say? Hughes is clearly going to be our manager and the club will be talking to him about all kinds of things, including players he wants and doesn't want.

What makes you think Hughes didn't have a say? Hughes is clearly going to be our manager and the club will be talking to him about all kinds of things, including players he wants and doesn't want.

What exactly is Mark Hughes's status at this time?

It actually says "expected". At the time he was appointed his contract was said to be "until the end of the season". Well, the season ended over a week ago, where is it explicitly recorded that he is manager until end of June? Not even sure he is manager until end of May.

Not that it makes any difference, I'm sure our bumbling Board will eventually get their act together and confirm a new contract.

A man who signed a contract until 30th June 2018 and very likely to be the longer term manager. So the club will be discussing all kinds of things with him for what he wants in place.

I sincerely hope you are correct. But according to the transfermarkt website his current contract is only 'expected' to continue until 30th June 2018. Whatever, his agents will no doubt be negotiating his longer term contract now, but in my experience no contract is firm until actually signed.

So let's hope that Mark's long term status can be sorted quickly so that he can begin signing and releasing players earlier rather than later.

Some - possibly many - of the decisions about out of contract players would have been taken during the season before Hughes even arrived. If you look back to the link about Ollie Cook going out on loan (previous page of this thread) it states he had been told then that he was not being retained. I’m quite sure Gardos would have been told the same when he was loaned and we know that Bakary and Wood have had trials at other clubs.

So the delay is more one of announcing changes than taking the decisions. There was a deadline of last Saturday to submit the list but it is up to the club when it announces them - or even if it announces them. Last year we announced the pros being released but never said anything about the scholars - I suspect as a result of sensitivity about headlines of the number of players leaving the club. Given we have around 20 players out of contract and potentially leaving the club it would not surprise me if when we do announce it we limit it to pros only. The PL will publish a full list in June which last year was the first and only confirmation about the scholars if I recall correctly.

I doubt the club will make an announcement before Hughes is appointed because it will look like he has more of a say if it comes after (even though very few of those out of contract players are first team squad members).

Of course I could be proven wrong very quickly!

Ben Cull confirmed his departure on Twitter a few days ago. I’ve therefore removed him, Olomola, Cook and Wood from the OP.

Great News. Mark Hughes has been appointed, on a 3 year contract, so let the team rebuilding begin.

My starter: Xherdan Shaqiri could leave Stoke City in a cut-price £12m deal. Reports from Switzerland claim the little playmaker has a release clause in his contract set at the fee Stoke paid for him. HCDAJFU.

Retained list announced:

Southampton Football Club has confirmed the list of players who have been released this summer.

First-team squad members Jérémy Pied and Florin Gardos will be leaving the club at the end of their contracts.

Pied joined the club from OGC Nice in August 2016, making his debut as a substitute against Watford in the Premier League later that month. The 29-year-old defender went on to make a total of eight appearances for the club.

Romanian international Florin Gardos made the move to the south coast back in 2014. After his debut in a 4-0 win over Newcastle United, he featured in eight of the side’s 17 clean sheets in his first season.

In February, Gardos joined Clubul Sportiv Universitatea Craiova in his homeland for the rest of the campaign, making a total of four appearances and helping the side to win Cupa României.

The full list is as follows:

Jérémy Pied

Florin Gardos

Ollie Cook

Armani Little

Olufela Olomola

Will Wood

Ben Cull

Oliver Gardner

Javen Siu

Richard Bakary

Southampton Football Club would like to thank each and every one of the players for all their hard work and commitment during their time with the club, and we wish them all the very best for the future.

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-05-31/southampton-2018-retained-list-released-players

Still a few question marks surrounding other players who are out of contract.

Yes - presumably a few players (including Jones, Taylor, Rose and Flannigan) have been offered new contracts. The full list of retained players and players offered new contracts has to be published on PL website by 8 June (2nd Saturday in June) so we will find out then. In the meantime I’ve updated the OP.

Yes - presumably a few players (including Jones, Taylor, Rose and Flannigan) have been offered new contracts. The full list of retained players and players offered new contracts has to be published on PL website by 8 June (2nd Saturday in June) so we will find out then. In the meantime I’ve updated the OP.

Nice work. Won't be long until I'm asking you about 25 man squad spaces :)

Leaves us with Valery as back up to Cedric, and that's if Cedric stays. I can't see us selling him this summer if Bertrand is destined to leave, but I could be wrong. Good to see Gardos leave, more for his own sake than anything else. Tied to a contract long term, he never really found a way back after his bad injury. I would think Stuart Taylor would go too, surely!

That doesn't leave many players in the Under 23's, Alfie Jones, Valery and a scattering of others. I hope the next level holds a gem or two.

Nice work. Won't be long until I'm asking you about 25 man squad spaces :)

The following would need to be included in the 25 man squad if they are to feature in the PL:

1. Alex McCarthy

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Jack Stephens

6. Wesley Hoedt

7. Shane Long

8. Steven Davis

9. Guido Carrillo

10. Charlie Austin

11. Dušan Tadic

12. Matt Targett

13. Fraser Forster

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Jan Bednarek

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Sam McQueen

18. Mario Lemina

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Harry Reed

25. Ryan Seager

26. Marcus Barnes

27. Sam Gallagher

28. Stuart Taylor

29. Jake Hesketh

30. Jack Rose

31. Jake Flannigan

So plenty of loans or sales needed to get us down to 25 before any additions. Of course, not all those offered new contracts will necessarily accept them.

By the way the players are listed chronologically to show how many there are - these are not the new squad numbers

The following would need to be included in the 25 man squad if they are to feature in the PL:

1. Alex McCarthy

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Jack Stephens

6. Wesley Hoedt

7. Shane Long

8. Steven Davis

9. Guido Carrillo

10. Charlie Austin

11. Dušan Tadic

12. Matt Targett

13. Fraser Forster

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Jan Bednarek

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Sam McQueen

18. Mario Lemina

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Harry Reed

25. Ryan Seager

26. Marcus Barnes

27. Sam Gallagher

28. Stuart Taylor

29. Jake Hesketh

30. Jack Rose

31. Jake Flannigan

So plenty of loans or sales needed to get us down to 25 before any additions. Of course, not all those offered new contracts will necessarily accept them.

By the way the players are listed chronologically to show how many there are - these are not the new squad numbers

Oh nice, cheers.. there's a fair few cuts that can be made from that lot.

Oh nice, cheers.. there's a fair few cuts that can be made from that lot.

Easy, surely?

4. Jordy Clasie - bye

5. Jack Stephens - bye

9. Guido Carrillo - bye

12. Matt Targett - bye

13. Fraser Forster - bye

17. Sam McQueen - going anyway

19. Sofiane Boufal - bye drama queen

24. Harry Reed - bye

25. Ryan Seager - bye

26. Marcus Barnes - bye

27. Sam Gallagher - bye

28. Stuart Taylor - bye

29. Jake Hesketh - bye

30. Jack Rose - bye

31. Jake Flannigan - bye

F**k I'm harsh.

Easy, surely?

4. Jordy Clasie - bye

5. Jack Stephens - bye

9. Guido Carrillo - bye

12. Matt Targett - bye

13. Fraser Forster - bye

24. Harry Reed - bye

25. Ryan Seager - bye

26. Marcus Barnes - bye

27. Sam Gallagher - bye

28. Stuart Taylor - bye

29. Jake Hesketh - bye

30. Jack Rose - bye

31. Jake Flannigan - bye

F**k I'm harsh.

That leaves us with 1 keeper, and 1 left back who probably wants out anyway.

1. Alex McCarthy

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Jack Stephens

6. Wesley Hoedt

7. Shane Long

8. Steven Davis

9. Guido Carrillo

10. Charlie Austin

11. Dušan Tadic

12. Matt Targett

13. Fraser Forster

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Jan Bednarek

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Sam McQueen

18. Mario Lemina

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Harry Reed

25. Ryan Seager

26. Marcus Barnes

27. Sam Gallagher

28. Stuart Taylor

29. Jake Hesketh

30. Jack Rose

31. Jake Flannigan

That's impressive work. My wish list would be to sell;

Clasie (not sure what fee we could get - maybe £5m)

Davis (perhaps deserves to go out on a free transfer or nominal fee)

Carillo (erm... help?)

Forster (£10-15m - he is English)

McQueen (£3-5m maybe)

Boufal (£15-20m)

Gallagher (£5-10m - is that overly ambitious?)

Loan out;

Reed

Seager

Barnes

Rose

Flannigan

To free up space for 2 strong CB's, target man and 2 good wingers/attacking midfielders.

I hope we try and take care of our youngsters leaving. The fact that Will Wood signed for Accrington immediately shows that none of all this will have been a surprise to the players and there's obviously been talking behind the scenes to allow it to happen so quickly. Hopefully they've learnt good habits at Saints that will stand them in good stead later in their careers.

I hope we try and take care of our youngsters leaving. The fact that Will Wood signed for Accrington immediately shows that none of all this will have been a surprise to the players and there's obviously been talking behind the scenes to allow it to happen so quickly. Hopefully they've learnt good habits at Saints that will stand them in good stead later in their careers.

Yeah. I think in most cases, they are told ahead of time. Wood went on trial at different clubs at the start of the year (at Skates & Accrington).

Same thing happened with Bakary (at Palace). Pretty sure Olomola sat & waited out his options too rather than join Yeovil on a permanent deal.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Will Wood had a trial with Accrington in February, he has known for a long time he was leaving and Saints help find them new clubs.

Easy, surely?

4. Jordy Clasie - bye

5. Jack Stephens - bye

9. Guido Carrillo - bye

12. Matt Targett - bye

13. Fraser Forster - bye

24. Harry Reed - bye

25. Ryan Seager - bye

26. Marcus Barnes - bye

27. Sam Gallagher - bye

28. Stuart Taylor - bye

29. Jake Hesketh - bye

30. Jack Rose - bye

31. Jake Flannigan - bye

F**k I'm harsh.

I would like to see Target, McQueen and Gallagher given a chance with Mark Hughes's training regime. Boufal has been disciplined for refusing to warm-up during a crucial match so he must go. He's been a negative influence despite his skills, and he's lazy.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/698775?sf191372450=1

The full list of players retained by PL clubs

Contracts

Alves Soares, Cedric Ricardo

Austin, Charlie

Barnes, Marcus Thomas

Bednarek, Jan

Bertrand, Ryan

Boufal, Sofiane

Bradley Green, Jamie

Carrillo, Guido Marcelo

Clasie, Jordy

Cull, Alexander

Davis, Steven

Ferry, William

Flannigan, Jake (monthly)

Forster, Fraser Gerard

Freeman, Kieran

Gabbiadini, Manolo

Gallagher, Samuel James

Hansen, Kornelius Normann

Hesketh, Jake Alexander

Hoedt, Wesley

Hojbjerg, Pierre Emile Kordt

Johnson, Tyreke Martin (offer)

Jones, Alfie

Klarer, Christoph

Kozak, Simon

Latham, Kingsley Finn (offer)

Lemina, Mario Rene Junior

Lewis, Harry Charles John

Long, Shane Patrick

McCarthy, Alex Simon

McQueen, Samuel James

Mdlalose, Siphesihle Thembinkosi

O'Connor, Thomas James

O'Driscoll, Aaron (offer)

Obafemi, Michael Oluwadurotimi

Parkes, Adam Darren

Redmond, Nathan Daniel Jerome

Reed, Harrison James

Rose, Jack Joseph (offer)

Rowthorn, Ben John

Seager, Ryan Paul

Sims, Joshua Samuel

Slattery, Callum

Smallbone, William Anthony Patrick

Stephens, Jack

Tadic, Dusan

Targett, Matthew Robert

Taylor, Stuart James (offer)

Tella, Nathan

Valery, Yan

Vidal, Oriol Romeu

Vokins, Jake

Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward

Yoshida, Maya

Scholars

Afolabi, Jonathan (offer contract)

Bartlett, Daniel Grahame

Brennan, Sean Anthony

Davis, Harrison (extended)

Fleary, Taymar

Hale, Harlem (offer contract)

Hamblin, Harry Mark (offer contract)

Ledwidge, Kameron Malcolm

Nlundulu, Dan (offer contract)

Norton, Christian Anthony

Olufunwa, Oludare Samuel Araba

Ramsay, Kayne

Robise, Enzo

This is largely as expected except:

- Jake Flannigan is on a monthly contract

- Thomas O'Connor and Alfie Jones are not shown as having been offered contract extensions so they must not have been out of contract after all

- Harrison Davis has been offered an extended scholarship not a pro deal

- Bailey Owen (2nd year scholar) is not listed. He was not one of the new scholars that was paraded last summer and was missed off of both squad lists (September and February). No idea why he keeps getting excluded - he is included in the OS profiles. Perhaps he's on loan to us?

- Enzo Robise is not yet on a pro contract

I've updated the OP. This list doesn’t tell us the length of the new contracts offered - unhelpfully.

Edited by Over land and sea

https://www.premierleague.com/news/698775?sf191372450=1

The full list of players retained by PL clubs

This is largely as expected except:

- Jake Flannigan is on a monthly contract

- Thomas O'Connor and Alfie Jones are not shown as having been offered contract extensions so they must not have been out of contract after all

- Harrison Davis has been offered an extended scholarship not a pro deal

- Bailey Owen (2nd year scholar) is not listed. He was not one of the new scholars that was paraded last summer and was missed off of both squad lists (September and February). No idea why he keeps getting excluded - he is included in the OS profiles. Perhaps he's on loan to us?

- Enzo Robise is not yet on a pro contract

I've updated the OP. This list doesn’t tell us the length of the new contracts offered - unhelpfully.

Thomas O'Connor signed a 2 and a half year deal in May 2016 (see bottom of page one of this thread and https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-05-17/oconnor-signs-professional-contract-with-saints) - so it looks like his deal is up sometime during the course of next season. Since Alfie Jones signed his contract at the same time, perhaps this also applies to him. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10286125/southampton-quintet-sign-first-professional-contracts

Bailey Owen is on Swansea's list of scholars on their retained list - so he must have been on loan to us. See Bailey Elis Owen in the Swansea list - the PL website confirms https://www.premierleague.com/players/23927/Bailey-Elis-Owen/overview that Bailey Elis Owen has been playing for us this season so it's either the same player or a massive coincidence!

Edited by Over land and sea

• 2 weeks later...