Non-Southampton based Saints.

sentry

HS - Did you know that there are no Monks at SMC now? The last two have just moved to their school in Liverpool.

Thanks! Yes, I get updated on important news about St. Mary's from friends in the UK. They are not "monks", by the way. The term is "teaching brothers".

The method of recruiting young boys into the Order changed dramatically in the late sixties - that, and the social changes taking place in that era - led to a huge drop in "vocations" to the religious life. Their former school in Liverpool, on Menlove Avenue (Woolton College), closed in the 70s, and they took over SFX - a former Jesuit grammar school. The English province of the Order is pretty much dead.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Not sure if Icount in your definition Sentry? I now live near Dublin for the past 14 years,and try and get a few games every year – although last year was getting harderto get tickets. Originally I lived in Southampton and had no real interest inwatching Saints as a nipper, but some friends dragged me to a 3rd roundFA cup game at the Dell in 1976, when as I recall a certain H Fisher equalisedin the dying seconds of the game! What a year to start supporting the Saints :D

Been hookedever since and for a number of years went to every home and away game – watchedsome great games and players, and even got to know one or two players. Had two academyplayers as lodgers at different times (had a flat in Stoneham Lane) – sadly neithermade it big time!

At least peoplein Ireland don’t think I am bonkers supporting Southampton any more – stock answerwas always, “WHO?”, or why don’t you support a proper team? :lol:

Do you know a few of us set up an Irish Saints Supporters Club? Very primitive at the moment but you can get involved? Also, I go to a pub in Dublin to watch a lot of the games if your interested.

Born and raised in Portsmouth from a large extended family - my dad has 7 siblings - who are all skates. Imagine their disgust when I went for the only logical option of Saints. My gran, who passed away this year, still referred to me as "her scummer" but I continue to forgive her.

Born and raised in Portsmouth from a large extended family - my dad has 7 siblings - who are all skates. Imagine their disgust when I went for the only logical option of Saints. My gran, who passed away this year, still referred to me as "her scummer" but I continue to forgive her.

Thanks! Yes, I get updated on important news about St. Mary's from friends in the UK. They are not "monks", by the way. The term is "teaching brothers".

The method of recruiting young boys into the Order changed dramatically in the late sixties - that, and the social changes taking place in that era - led to a huge drop in "vocations" to the religious life. Their former school in Liverpool, on Menlove Avenue (Woolton College), closed in the 70s, and they took over SFX - a former Jesuit grammar school. The English province of the Order is pretty much dead.

Maybe but they were always called 'Monks' when I was there (left 1965).

Maybe but they were always called 'Monks' when I was there (left 1965).

Technically you might call them monks - they live in a community and take vows of celibacy, poverty and obedience. But their religious community is not called a monastery, and they don't live a contemplative life, secluded from the rest of society. They work as teachers. We never called them monks - in Southampton, Shropshire, or Liverpool.

Born at the RN hospital, Mtarfa in Malta as my dad was a submariner for 26-years. Lived various Naval places before living for 3 years in Australia when he transferred to the Oz Navy. Came back to England when I was about 9 when he was stationed at the submarine base at HMS Dolphin, Gosport. My dad loved football so much we'd go to Pompey one week - Saints the next. I was bitten by the Saints bug after just a couple of visits to The Dell - and have been supporting them for over 40-years since. My dad, older brother AND younger brother all still support Pompey. I guess I've always been the black sheep of the family ;-)

Never lived in Southampton.

Born in bred in the cultural wasteland of Basingstoke. Dad was and still is a Liverpool fan owing to the fact that he moved about 16 times when he was a kid, never had a proper 'home' and so plumped for the best team of the time! When I was seven or eight, ome time around 1980, I decided I wanted to support a Hampshire team and obviously went for the best available (admittedly it might have been the Keegan factor).

I now live in South East London and have three kids who've all adopted Saints as their team of choice.

Technically you might call them monks - they live in a community and take vows of celibacy, poverty and obedience. But their religious community is not called a monastery, and they don't live a contemplative life, secluded from the rest of society. They work as teachers. We never called them monks - in Southampton, Shropshire, or Liverpool.

We certainly did in Southampton and both my sons who attended the school many years later also referred to them as 'The Monks' (sometimes affectionately, sometimes not). Perhaps it was a different year group thing... PS I am quite aware that they are actually teaching brothers of the de La Mennais order but thanks for trying to educate me anyway.

I'm from Guildford and when I was 7 my dad wanted to take me to a Prem game for the first time. He told me (!) the local teams were West Ham, Wimbledon and Saints. MLT meant I chose saints and have followed them ever since. Lived in Cardiff for uni and got to quite a few games in the CC and L1, left for New Zealand right before we went up in L1 and only returned in the Spring this year, back to Cardiff. So my last games were home to Brizzle Rovers and Charlton. Had some very enjoyable 3am fixtures while down there! Can't wait to see us in a Premier League game again.

While in NZ I caught my first sighting of the pinstripe kit on a fellow fan in Queenstown. Has a Saints shirt has ever been spotted further away from SMS that that? 11805 miles!

Born in Hong Kong and raised in Ethiopia and Bath. I went to university in Southampton 1978-1982 and used to watch them occasionally at the Dell when I could afford it. Got hooked and have followed the ups and downs of the club like a soap opera ever since. Live in Exeter now. Have been to St Mary's a few times, but more often go to away league and cup games when I can, for example at Plymouth, Exeter, Swindon, Bristol City, Aston Villa, Birmingham and West Brom.

Born 1936 at Kent Street Northam, a hop,step and jump from St.Marys Stadium and opposite Northam Primary School. Joined the Boys Brigade 10th Southampton aged ten till seventeen and was priviledged to be coached by Saints George Curtis, the extremely clever forward. The only player who could make opponents fall over without touching them ! Moved to Sydney in 1967 and been here ever since, but try to see the matches every time I visit. Delighted that Foxtel broadcasts every match live in Australia starting last year and costing a well worth $16 a month !! Saints, PLEASE STAY IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE !

Interesting how many second generation remote Saints are signing up through choice. My own excuse is that I lived in Southampton (& Eastleigh for a bit) from the age of 12 until I went to Poly when I was 19. But my son who is now 14 was born in Pretoria, has only ever lived in England for 2 years (1 year in Milton Keynes and 1 near Ely) and is also an ardent Saints fan.

I'm from Guildford and when I was 7 my dad wanted to take me to a Prem game for the first time. He told me (!) the local teams were West Ham, Wimbledon and Saints. MLT meant I chose saints and have followed them ever since. Lived in Cardiff for uni and got to quite a few games in the CC and L1, left for New Zealand right before we went up in L1 and only returned in the Spring this year, back to Cardiff. So my last games were home to Brizzle Rovers and Charlton. Had some very enjoyable 3am fixtures while down there! Can't wait to see us in a Premier League game again.

While in NZ I caught my first sighting of the pinstripe kit on a fellow fan in Queenstown. Has a Saints shirt has ever been spotted further away from SMS that that? 11805 miles!

Invergargill, myself.

Interesting how many second generation remote Saints are signing up through choice

Exactly the case with my nine year old. I'm from southampton born and bred. Moved away to the midlands for Uni and then further north when I met my wife. Now live in Manchester which is a football mad city as we all know.

The pressures on my boy to follow one of the two teams here is huge. Initially from my wife's family who are all reds. However, through his own choice he has followed his dad and is a saint. The nipper even wears his shirt on own clothes days at school... You can imagine the stick he gets! Luckily he's red-tag Tae Kwondo so has no probs dealing with non-believers :-)

Good thread btw

Im moving to Iowa in 4 weeks pal, going to ISU for a year exchange!

Welcome to Iowa, you will enjoy our winters. In Iowa they measure distance by how long it takes to drive so you are only 2 hours from me so thats pretty close. However I can not like the fact that you will be a cyclone as I went to U of I. Maybe we can catch a some games together

Born and raised in Reading. Lived there for 24 years. Then moved to Didcot. Lived there for 9 years. Then on to Eastleigh, 1977. Lived there 3 years but became a Saint and have been ever since. Moved to Woking Surrey and lived there 32 years. Moved to Brixham Devon 1 year ago. Son , now 40, Saints fan since he was eight. Lives down the road at Paignton. Bit far for us to get to SMS regularly but will hopefully get a few games in.

think I'm the odd one out around here. I'm Singaporean and have next to no connections to southampton. local clubs here are probably conference levels therefore have chosen to support the saints instead. started doing so since our latest foray into the Uefa cup so you can probably call me a plastic fan especially as I've never attended a game nor been to St Mary's (plan to do so soon hopefully)

most people here support the arsenal, liverpool and the manchester clubs but I've always liked the underdog. indifferent from most here in that I got to 'choose' which club to support. anyway hope all these doesn't change the way you guys view my posts, I'm pretty much all southampton except being from the area.

You plastic fan.

No seriously, I have only one word for those like you who are not from Southampton, but chose Saints over Arsenal, Liverpool, ManUre, etc: respect.bmp

'82 or '92 ? County were as much on the radar as they were ever going to get in '82 !

Saints first season was definitely 1983-84. Might be getting a bit confused with when County went under - I recall it was about the time I went to Southampton but it was a few years later. Two timed County with Saints for a bit then obviously. What a tart.

Impressive! It must have been hard getting lots of stick from your Uncles - if the reverse happened in our family I know we would be brutal to the skate.

Keep the Faith! Support the Saints

Born and Bred in North Devon

Lived in Raymond Road near the Dell for 1 year.

First Game - 1967 V Crewe Alexandra in the League Cup WON 3-1 (Mick Channon was a substitute)

Hero was Ron Davies

My Uncle who was on Stoke Citys books and played with Stanley Matthews lived in Bursledon and Saints were nearest 1st Div team. Saved up once a month to visit Aunt/Uncle and watch Saints.

Best Saints Game - first game of season when we beat Man City at The Dell 2-1 (cant remember the year) but it was the Keegan era - he had a flying sort of bicycle kick disallowed which would have been the best goal i have ever seen - build up play was superb and we would have beaten anyone on that day.

Best Saints Player - Pete Shilton - never stopped shouting and controlled the 18 yard box. Le Tissier overall though as he was Saints through and through!

My missus says Saints are the only thing i am passionate about! - would love to move back to Southampton but it would be on my own!

Bought and lost shares in Saints but love whats happening now - surrounded here by the usual Man Ure, Chelsea (dad!) and Scouse supporters so its nice to be back in the top league and winning some games!

Born and Bred in North Devon

Lived in Raymond Road near the Dell for 1 year.

First Game - 1967 V Crewe Alexandra in the League Cup WON 3-1 (Mick Channon was a substitute)

Hero was Ron Davies

My Uncle who was on Stoke Citys books and played with Stanley Matthews lived in Bursledon and Saints were nearest 1st Div team. Saved up once a month to visit Aunt/Uncle and watch Saints.

Best Saints Game - first game of season when we beat Man City at The Dell 2-1 (cant remember the year) but it was the Keegan era - he had a flying sort of bicycle kick disallowed which would have been the best goal i have ever seen - build up play was superb and we would have beaten anyone on that day.

!

Sounds like a combination of two games there.

Keegan made his debut at home to Man City 1st game of 80/81 season. After all the hype and long build up (the transfer was announced several months earlier) KK was overshadowed by 2 Channon goals in a match that failed to rise to the occassion. Think we won 2-0?

The imfamous disallowed overhead KK "goal" was indeed a cracker of a match in the following season with Saints running out 3-2 winners.

Thanks Eric for jogging the memory - i was living there in 1982 so would have indeed been the game. My main other memory was driving with my uncle and two neighbors from Bursledon across the old floating bridge at Woolston and they used to argue all the time about Saints players - one thought Hugh Fisher was a good player and my Uncle thought he was poor at best - wish now i had kept a diary and some photos from those times.

Born in the city of Southampton , lived part of my childhood in Singapore Germany and Scotland.My final school was at whitchurch . parents brought a house in winchester in 1967 Joined the army served around the world. Had a house in Barton Stacey until I moved to Orkney 14 years ago . Have supported saints since 1963 . Until a couple of season ago I was a season ticket holder trying to get to most home games when ever I could until the games were played on Mondays Sundays and airfares went through the roof . But I still get to as many games as I can

I've lived in Didcot, Oxon all my life, but my family originate from Winchester.

My uncle took me to the Dell when I was about 7 and I've been going ever since, which is over 40 years.

Me and my Oxon mates have been Season ticket holders for about 30 years,

My 18 year old Nephew has been a ST holder for about 10 years.

COYS

Edited by Alejam
**** grammar

Born in Winchester, went to the Dell many times. Studied at Liverpool Poly as the token Saints fan, much to the amusement of the Scousers. Unless we beat them of course. Stayed on Merseyside for about 15 years then emigrated to NZ. Quite a few of us out here - we even have our own Facebook page.

Two sons born on Merseyside and given free choice who to support - delighted to say they're both Saints fans.

We don't get to any games though, but can watch each PL match in full.

And damned fine work it is too AS.

I find it amazing how much has changed in the past 2 years. Before that, it was me, Eric & Goodfellas Jay sitting alone in a pub (Goodfellas) down in Bur Dubai to watch occassional televised games. Then you lot on here gave me stick about Golf so me & (the now wife) wore our Sash shirts to the Desert Classic Golf and met the Smithmeister (who lurks on here now). From that we got our sh1t together & Social networked and have had 30 at a game in the pub last season and now have a "Big Family" down here.

I'm from Salisbury, first went to The Dell in 67 went whenever I wasn't working or playing football home & away. 1st November I'll commiserate 20 years of being down here. (I came on an 18 month contract & got stuck). Have an ST because I know I'll be back one day and may never get the chance to get one with my mates when we become a CL club 8)

Middle Son went to his first game perched on a crush barrier on the Milton Road end, (back in the still standing days) he was dragged here aged 8, only spent Uni + 1 year in UK since then and now lives in Germany.

He still gets back to games, and most weeks manages to find a bar to watch the games in.

For a birthday present he actually played at SMS in the first forum match - what a day that was! Best moment was when we went to the JPT Final together.

It's quite amazing that so many of our kids, who were born outside of Soton, have chosen to follow Saints.

My eldest isn't really into footy, my youngest, one of the most pro-scouse people you're ever likely to meet,. supports the Reds (and Rickie Lambert).

Eldest used to claim to support Saints, but I doubt she really does.

Wah.

Southampton family all Saints supporters..

Mum and Dad with Up the middle for Charlie..days..

Taken to the dell from about 1956/57

my brothers there after.

Southampton Schools football until Services for many years.

Settled in a village...near Ottery/Honiton.

Daughter at Uni Cardiff supports the mighty Saints..

Second daughter is a season ticket holder with me block 37 overlooking corner flag.

Son in the Northam with other family.

Brother in Itchen ..

COYS:)

Edited by ottery st mary

I'm born and bred in Swindon. My husband is a lifelong Saints fan and when we first got together I used to complain constantly about stupid football on the TV and why support such a rubbish team. When Saints started progressing in the FA Cup run up where we lost to Arsehole in the final I started taking a vague interest. That vague interest has now developed into an obsession where I check this forum daily for gossip, follow twitter, stalk the players and know all sorts of useless crap lol.

I really love the Saints and am so glad I fell in love with the team because with the Saints we get a rollercoaster of a ride every season!

Personally, I reckon us Sotonians who didn't have their heads turned by bigger clubs are the true heroes :)

Oh it came very close.... Dam my cousin. I blame rebelling against my dad, with my younger cousin, but I saw the light just in time. It broke my dads heart at the time!

My eldest isn't really into footy, my youngest, one of the most pro-scouse people you're ever likely to meet,. supports the Reds (and Rickie Lambert).

Eldest used to claim to support Saints, but I doubt she really does.

Wah.

I am saving it all for the boy, but my youngest daughter is well into it for a nearly 5 year old.

Born in Southampton live near Hereford, I moved away when I was young and supported Saints all my life, I have this season purchased a ST for me and my lad in the Kingsland North which has amazing supporters in that corner. And finally All my family are Southampton supporters apart from my uncle and his close family who support Pompey.

Born in Poole but my Dad used to take me to the odd match at the Dell in the Paine & Sydenham era. Moved to Devon and in the late 70's. my son started to support Saints earnestly because of Kevin Keegan. We had a friend who owned a Sports Shop seling Patrick Kit so we used to get the odd hospitality tickets. Came back to West Dorset in 1987 and began to watch Saints on a regular basis from then on. Have been ST Holders since we went to SMS. My Son lives in Verwood now and all his family and my grandchilden from my daughters family are all hardened Saints Supporters. We all sit together in the Chapel.

From Northern Ireland and grew up in the '70's with Liverpool being the choice of team to support. Kevin Keegan joined Saints and, as he was my hero, I also joined the Saints 'family'. Over the years I have converted my Dad and my son to Saints. One of the best days of my life was the JPT Final when all three of us travelled down from Wigan where I now live. Think I grinned all day. Only regret is not having a photo of all three of us outside Wembley. Worked abroad for most of my working life and have 'converted' quite a few Aussies to Saints. Hope to move further south inside the next 10 years then its Hello ST! Currently get to about 4 or 5 away matches per season and one home (my January birthday treat) and usually a home pre-season match (hotel booked and tickets arrived for Real Sociedad and I can't wait).

Welcome to Iowa, you will enjoy our winters. In Iowa they measure distance by how long it takes to drive so you are only 2 hours from me so thats pretty close. However I can not like the fact that you will be a cyclone as I went to U of I. Maybe we can catch a some games together

Afraid I'll be a cyclone if I want to fit in!! Would be great to meet a saints fan out there pal