U21's vs Eastleigh tonight

The Cat

Anyone going? I'm heading up, hopefully a better performance than last year when Forecast flapped around unconvincingly and let in 3 in the first 20 minutes.

It will be a much sterner test for the nippers than the Sholing game as Eastleigh are a lot more experienced and physical, plus we are without Chambers and Isgrove.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/u21s-at-eastleigh-preview-945307.aspx

Plenty of senior players in our squad though, according to Eastleigh sources. Hammond, Sharp, Lee, Forte, De Ridder, Barnard and Martin all due to feature.

probably why it's 8 quid then. So if err 9000 of you go and Eastleigh give us all of the money we can pay them all this week. How we can support 70K a week'ish for players who contribute nothing and are never likely to contribute anything further just beats me.

We need to ship them out even if it means subsiding them. Because if we don't and we don't have 25 over 21 first team players we'll have to name the appropriate number in our PL squad...PL rules

Edited by Window Cleaner

Plenty of senior players in our squad though, according to Eastleigh sources. Hammond, Sharp, Lee, Forte, De Ridder, Barnard and Martin all due to feature.

I'd rather pay £8 to see the youth than some of that lot.

we aren't very good. Forte and De Rudder useless. Barnard ineffectual. Aaron Martin just gone off injured.

there's about 10 saints fans singing at one end infront of a "Scummers on tour" flag. A few of them even have the new kit.

Eastleigh should have had a penalty, and Colmer cleared one off the line. Sharp had goal disallowed for offsideabd just missed from a cross but that's about it. There is an ice cream van though.

Tadanari Lee is on which is giving the scummers on tour boyz the opportunity to roll out the sushi chant again. Now they are doing "there were 10 Pompey sailors on a boat". Tiresome.

Harrison Reed is on in midfield. good, tidy player. Jonno Quick isn't actually Jonno quick anymore. Can't even burst past non league players.

we aren't very good. Forte and De Rudder useless. Barnard ineffectual. Aaron Martin just gone off injured.

there's about 10 saints fans singing at one end infront of a "Scummers on tour" flag. A few of them even have the new kit.

Eastleigh should have had a penalty, and Colmer cleared one off the line. Sharp had goal disallowed for offsideabd just missed from a cross but that's about it. There is an ice cream van though.

That all sounds like a fairly horrific experience to be part of.

Tadanari Lee is on which is giving the scummers on tour boyz the opportunity to roll out the sushi chant again. Now they are doing "there were 10 Pompey sailors on a boat". Tiresome.

Harrison Reed is on in midfield. good, tidy player. Jonno Quick isn't actually Jonno quick anymore. Can't even burst past non league players.

The Cat, what's the score? The Cat, The Cat, what's the score?

Pretty bad. They were predictable, lacked movement and did little to suggest they are better than the youngsters we have. Sharp was easily the best of the 'old guard'.

Disappointing. You would hope they would be trying to put themselves in the shop window.

Maybe the promotion elevated wages have killed their drive.

It's not so long ago our first team struggled in the Eastleigh friendlies. Be thankful we've moved on.

I recall a very fat Kevin miller dropping the ball in his own net.

He's got his own pie recipe on the internet. it's no surprise.

Disappointing. You would hope they would be trying to put themselves in the shop window.

Maybe the promotion elevated wages have killed their drive.

First run out most have had in months, not played together etc, nothing to do with money.

Why the sponsorless shirts?

I'm guessing that as aap3 bailed us out on the sponsor front they either decided they weren't going to pay extra for the non-first team sponsorship, or Cortese changed the contract from the last one aap3 had so he could try and sell the academy/U21 sponsorship separately to make more money.

It certainly couldn't be that there aren't any shirts with sponsors left, the club shops are full of them. :D

It's not so long ago our first team struggled in the Eastleigh friendlies. Be thankful we've moved on.

I recall a very fat Kevin miller dropping the ball in his own net.

I recall Ryan Doble looking like our best player, think that was a couple of days after the takeover. :(

I'd echo everything "the cat" said, old 1st team players were shocking, couldn't really tell what Sharp was like as he barely got the ball, his disallowed goal looked like he still knows where the corner of the net is though. This is going to be hard to believe, but De Ridder has got worse. Quite a damning condemnation that we improved drastically once it was mainly youth players in the second half, but that was definitely the case. Eastleigh could have been out of sight in the first 45. My ice-cream was superb though.

I'd echo everything "the cat" said, old 1st team players were shocking, couldn't really tell what Sharp was like as he barely got the ball, his disallowed goal looked like he still knows where the corner of the net is though. This is going to be hard to believe, but De Ridder has got worse. Quite a damning condemnation that we improved drastically once it was mainly youth players in the second half, but that was definitely the case. Eastleigh could have been out of sight in the first 45. My ice-cream was superb though.

Agree with this

The new manager at Eastleigh has his team playing a bit of football in comparison to his predecessor's (Ian Baird) long ball game

All the 'seasoned pros' ie Martin, Barnard, De Ridder, Lee, Forte and Sharp did very little (or nothing) to enhance their reputations.

The young lads who came on as replacements added far more zest and movement than the old guard

The pre-pubescent group of Saints supporters were a bit of an embarrassment as, I think, was the sparse crowd of 508

The pre-pubescent group of Saints supporters were a bit of an embarrassment

I changed ends to escape them, luckily this led me to the ice cream van, if it sounds like the ice-cream van was the highlight of the evening then you'd be right.

I'm tempted to go to this fixture next year. I've heard there is a good Ice Cream Van.

I wonder who will be playing in this fixture next season who are on tour with the first team at the moment. Will be interesting to see.

Hmm might be worth flying back for next season. Can't be as bad as the two games I got to - Wigan & Spuds at home, at least there will be decent Ice Cream

It was a boring game whilst our squad members were on the pitch. However when they went off and we had a team of youngsters (plus Tadanari Lee) our style of play changed. We were playing 'Southampton' football, high pressure and neater passing. Although the front two of Barnard and Sharp were given a lack of service, the senior players were very poor.

To be fair to the senior players they haven't had a pre-season (unless they have been training with the U18's which I doubt) as the U21's have been in the north east for the last 10 days or so. I'd imagine they will all be going out on loan during the next month or so. I didn't realise that Forte & Martin were still here.