Golf, Focus and Astra Estates

Griptenstien

I have recently been assigned an estate version of the new Astra, and I'm still getting used to the idea that it's a Vauxhall. I've always had a deep dislike of any Vauxhalls in the past, and the previous Astras were bloody awful things to drive, with a dashboard so cheap and plasticky that it looked like it came out of a Kinder egg. But the new ones are such a massive improvement in just about all areas. Good handling, decent build-quality, comfortable, economical, and a really good sound system. And that's all in just the basic model.

It's probably the best of the three in terms of how much tax you will pay, seeing as it is the cheapest to buy and has really good fuel economy if you go for the 1.7 CDTi engine. I haven't driven either of the other two you mentioned, but the Focus looks really nice and will no doubt be of equal or slightly better build quality to the Astra, and the Golf will undoubtedly be a better car but you will pay for it through a higher tax code.

I don't normally comment or even get bothered by wheels. I drive things that have a chance of me not being killed by the local nutters.

Anways, when back in EU I get rentals a lot. I like to drive the Astra but, there is ONE thing that totally drives me MAD about the damned car.

The stalks on the steering column...

Vauxhall use these momentary switches, so you touch them and they always switch off when you want them on or they stay on when you want them off.

They REALLY are infuriating.

Just a minor point but worth looking at when you Test Drive one.