Rickie Lambert called up for England

Saint-Armstrong

Great news but the question is will he get on the pitch?

Rooney and Defoe carrying injuries all through pre-season, be a travesty if he doesn't. But I can't shake the feeling that after all the wait and all the build up, he'll end up sitting it out on the bench and then never get called up again, with Hodgson trying to claim he was given a chance...

Called this, in the morning at work. Everyone dismissed it.

Im going to take some of the credit as I did make a case for SRL during my induction at SGP with Sir Trevor Brooking in the room during a task. Had to number 1-6 best technical players out of Messi, Zidane, Ronaldo, Lambert, Savagae, Lampard.

RL was top of my list.

Rooney and Defoe carrying injuries all through pre-season, be a travesty if he doesn't. But I can't shake the feeling that after all the wait and all the build up, he'll end up sitting it out on the bench and then never get called up again, with Hodgson trying to claim he was given a chance...

I'll bare my arse on the town hall steps if he doesn't get on.

Defoe and rooney might play no part at all. Rickie WILL get on.

aren't Defoe and Rooney both injured? he might actually get a game.

Pleased for him. Not sure it is good news for Saints 3 days before the season starts. Maybe Saints players getting caps will help improve our profile and help with future recruiting.

@SouthamptonFC: MP: "This call-up is the result of Rickie's hard work over the course of the four years he has spent at #SaintsFC." #lambertforengland

@SouthamptonFC: MP: "This is something for the entire Club to be proud of. The work we are doing is being recognised on a national level." #saintsfc

Oh God, we're all going to turn into deluded mentals again now are we ? He's still about 6th choice at the moment.

This is exactly the kind of game Hodgson SHOULD be using to look at meritorious players on the fringes of selection - it's bloody Scotland FFS, they're useless at the moment, a more direct game will still give them problems, and with 4 or 5 strikers unavailable through pretend pre-season injuries where the big clubs have decided not to release them Hodgson has plenty of excuses if he doesn't immediately shine.

Win-win situation, worst case scenario he can tell Walcott to exploit the massive space behind Fox.

Very pleased for Rickie...

But is England gonna change their style of lay suddenly?

I thought that was the reason he was left out earlier that he didn´t fit the style....

Quite - whilst at the same time Carroll got picked as he gave them an alternative if they needed a target man. :facepalm:

It's Carroll's spot, but if he gets the chance and puts in a hell of a performance there's always the possibility.

Of course, expect a dip in form in October if he's not in the next competitive squad...

Oh God, we're all going to turn into deluded mentals again now are we ? He's still about 6th choice at the moment.

This is exactly the kind of game Hodgson SHOULD be using to look at meritorious players on the fringes of selection - it's bloody Scotland FFS, they're useless at the moment, a more direct game will still give them problems, and with 4 or 5 strikers unavailable through pretend pre-season injuries where the big clubs have decided not to release them Hodgson has plenty of excuses if he doesn't immediately shine.

Win-win situation, worst case scenario he can tell Walcott to exploit the massive space behind Fox.

Usually your points are worth reading, but when Lambert is involved you turn into a right arse dont you?:lol: not even a congratulations from you either, just strange.

Except Fox isn't in the squad.

Woy's ordinary selection process is very obvious when you look at the squad sheet:

8 Man U players

2 Man City

2 Everton

3 Chelsea

2 Liverpool

2 Spurs

3 Arsenal

1 Southampton

1 West Brom/1 Norwich (both goalkeepers).

So Rickie's the only outfield player not playing for a team that finished in the top 7 last season - only took half the squad getting injured!

Very pleased for Rickie, hopefully he can give the rest of them some tips on taking penalties!

Rickie Lambert: Liverpool, Blackpool, Macclesfield, Stockport, Rochdale, Bristol Rovers, Southampton, England.

What a turn around for the beetroot boy!

Would be great if he gets some time on the pitch, but just to be selected should be a proud moment for him.

I recall him a couple of years ago laughing away the suggestion of ever getting a call up to the England squad.

Have another laugh SRL, top work.

Hodgson on Lambert on SSN, not his most auspicious factually correct interview...

"One of the things that's impressed me about him, is that this is a man that has come up the hard way, he's ploughed a very difficult furrow starting in non-League. I first came across him at Bristol Rovers when I was at Fulham about 5/6 years ago now. He played very well against us in fact I ever remember discussing him as a potential transfer target, but then of course the big question here is 'how can a guy in League One become a success in the Premier League'?

Then of course he moved to a Championship side* and the question was asked, 'well, he's only a League One player can he play in the Championship', he helped Southampton win it*, and then the next question would be 'can he play in the Premiership*' and he scores 15 goals.

So, I think if a man has really worked hard to prove his worth over the years it's Rickie Lambert, and I think he fully deserves his call up, at a time of course when a couple of players that might have got a nod in front of him, Daniel Sturridge and Andy Carroll, are not available".

Also worth noting that he didn't score against Fulham in either of 2008's FA Cup matches with Bristol Rovers, though Rovers did win on penalties.

*factual inaccuracy.

Edited by The9

even though it's for Rovers I still enjoyed watching this Lambert goal posted on twitter

I remember watching that the evening it broke. A rovers fan came on here to say he'd heard, and it spiraled from there.

I remember coming home for lunch on the Monday and i think Tik-Taks was breaking it? Went back to work buzzing....I think he just felt the right signing at the right time for so many reasons, and boy did it pay off.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})