Rickie Lambert called up for England

Saint-Armstrong

49ad9b243c6b113992a39443cba3edc1_normal.jpegJim Lucas@JFBLucas

Lambert: "I'm trying to take everything in and be calm. I'm trying to do well, to impress and to get another chance." #lambertforengland

Lambert: "I'm trying to prove that I can be here for whoever we're playing." #lambertforengland

Lambert: "I'm always confident I can score goals. If I get a chance, I'm confident I can take it. My main focus is playing well."

Lambert: "#SaintsFC have been terrific for me in every aspect." #lambertforengland

Lambert: "I never gave up hope that I would be called up. Hopefully this sends a message out." #lambertforengland

Lambert: "When Adam [Lallana] got called up last year, that gave everyone confidence. We've got some excellent young players."

Lambert: "This is what I've been looking forward to. Pre-season is over now and the serious stuff gets going." #lambertforengland

That's all from Rickie! Doesn't look out of place, does he? Good comments about his #SaintsFC teammates, too. #lambertforengland

62a26d955da6594467ca9be4474cdbc3_normal.pngThe FA@FA

Rickie Lambert's press conference is now over, we'll have videos from both his and Roy Hodgson's later #England v Scotland

Edited by trousers

Hope he doesn't come back a more limited player after a few days with Hodgson!

Can't wait for the game though, really hope he gets a full half, preferably second half. Think he could work well with Rooney or Welbeck. Although be brilliant to see AOC and Theo playing with him.

I think Theo's too busy playing with himself looking at that picture

FFS everytime I mention anything regarding Lambert people take it as a personal slight, the man is a footballer, a very good one, but a footballer paid by the club. The same as Hammond, Chaplow, Fonte etc etc etc

There comes a time that to move forward you need to improve, Lambert has proven himself in the prem but as the end of the season showed me he isnt the answer to the way we play or want to progress. We are looking at top European strikers, do you honestly think they will sign 'to give rickie a rest ?'

I love Rickie as much as the next man but I love Southampton more and realise there is no room for sentiment in football

Don't think it came across that I was having a go?

Ultimately, I agree that we need another high quality forward to see us progress. But only for the reasons I have stated....he is now 31 and and after 4 years, we still can't win games without him. You are coming from a different angle in that his lack of mobility doesn't suit the high press style of play. This is a fair opinion but not one which I think MP will necessarily share. I think it comes across that he highly rates Rickie and see's him as pivotal player at the club. Where we have used the high press well and got results, Rickie has been there.

Personally, I want another quality goalscorer at the club so that if Rickie can't or doesn't play, it doesn't feel that we are way more likely to lose which is the case at the moment.

no room for sentiment. why did we get all angry when hoddle left, or when kenwyne jones left or some call chamberlain a greedy git

Because the people in charge of running football teams don't usually react the same way as fans, thankfully.

OK anyone passing through Dubai, the local gang will be out on Wednesday at Barasti at Mina Seyahi in the Marina area to watch the game from around 22:15 local time.

Would post this on overseas thread BUT EVEN THOUGH I PAID A WEEK AGO I'VE NOT BEEN RESET AS A FULL MEMBER YET GRANTY!

Still get a smile on my face reading the interviews, seeing the photos, and TBF I've been getting a lot of positive vibes from other club's fans about Rickie - great for football, is a better player than many think, hope he shows up those arrogant c()cks in the England squad etc.

Will it be a Hollywood quality fairy tale in a couple of days time or will we have to watch one of their CGI nightmares?

Like others on here, first England game I've looked forward to for a long time!

I watched Skysports this morning and they showed a training session. There were all the players passing the ball to their mates and never thinking about RL. The same as when MLT was in the squad, Ince and his mates keeping him as an outsider.

All the best to Rickie for tonight and I hope he scores a hat trick. But we need to remember Le Tiss scored a hat trick against Russia and never got selected for the World Cup squad. I have heared that Clemence and Lee briefed against his inclusion the strongest. The England set up stinks - that's why we've won sod all. Wasting players creative abilities for decades sticking to 'systems' and low risk football. It's a great honour for Rickie to pull on the shirt, but a massive massive task to nail down a place in the squad as a Saints player.

No doubt if England do well tonight and Rickie scores the press will say that "it was only Scotland."

If we lose, then he'll be blamed for any missed chances.

Really? I've seen hardly any criticism of him in the press, unless you count the (perfectly valid) point that he's only in the squad because of injuries to others. If he scores the winner he'll be a hero.

I think he'll get a massive reception when he comes on, obviously not all Saints fans. Think the general 'other' fans (aside from them down the road) really take to SRL as a normal guy who has come up the hard way, he does not come across as some Wayne Rooney 'big time Charlie', and that endears him to most. There wont be a bigger cheer at Wembley this year if he scores tonight.

Really? I've seen hardly any criticism of him in the press, unless you count the (perfectly valid) point that he's only in the squad because of injuries to others. If he scores the winner he'll be a hero.

I hope you are right Duncan. Maybe It'll help cure my cynicism!

Listening to Gerrard being interviewed on our local News Radio here he was chirping on about Rooney, looking fit, being in the mood, needing game minutes now to complete his fitness and looking forward to getting a start.

Bench by the sound of that, but then hey what does UAE National Radio know?

Its my birthday. I'm on honeymoon (currently in Austria). Rickie Lambert could score against Scotland on his England debut.

Thank you little baby Jesus for the invention of Irish bars in every city around the world so I can watch the game tonight. Most excited I've been about an England game for a while!

Its my birthday. I'm on honeymoon (currently in Austria). Rickie Lambert could score against Scotland on his England debut.

Thank you little baby Jesus for the invention of Irish bars in every city around the world so I can watch the game tonight. Most excited I've been about an England game for a while!

:lol:

Now THAT is the way to start married life.

On Honeymoon and drag new wife down the pub to watch a game featuring a possible cameo by a Saints player - love it.

Perfect - #trainingday

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})