Football Manager 2014

Matthew Le God

I'm still not entirely sure how, but I won the league in my first season with Saints.

P38 W25 D10 L3 F94 A53

Leaked lots of goals (including a 6-3 loss at Chelsea) but generally scored more than enough (Lambert got 30 and golden boot!) Also JWP massively stepped up and is rapidly developing into my best attacking midfielder.

Summer 2013 window IN:

Michael Keane (loan)

Simone Pepe (loan)

January 2014 window IN:

Danny Ings

Will Hughes

Tactics:

4-2-3-1, Attacking, Fluid, instructions to play possession football and high line

4-1-2-1-2, Standard (or Control), Balanced, instructions to play slightly more directly but still press

(used the second formation when we were the underdog - less leaky but continued to score)

Favoured lineup:

Boruc

Clyne - Fonte - Lovren - Shaw

Wanyama - Schneiderlin

Lallana - Ward-Prowse - Rodriguez

Lambert

The board was pretty receptive when it came to putting up funds for 2014-15 and I also got 25% of the fee from Oxlade-Chamberlain transferring to Liverpool. Hopefully won't have disrupted the balance too much as all I've really done is clear out some dead wood and bolster the defensive depth.

Summer 2014 window IN:

Asmir Begovic

Eder Alvarez Balanta

Kieran Gibbs (swap deal)

Kyriakos Papadopoulos

Curtis Davies

Summer 2014 window OUT:

Kelvin Davis

Paulo Gazzaniga (swap deal)

Cody Cropper

Maya Yoshida

Jordan Turnbull

Danny Fox (pre-arranged)

Jos Hooiveld

Guly do Prado

Lee Barnard

Jonathan Forte

Billy Sharp

Sam Gallagher

The Gazzaniga/Gibbs swap deal was my favourite bit of business. Arsenal came in with a bid of £550k for PG, so I countered asking for KG as well. Pretty surprised when they accepted and now have solid cover for Shaw. Having batted away Liverpool coming in for Lallana and Shaw, I let them have Gallagher for £5m-ish out of pity.

Now just need to find a world class striker to lead the line as I fear RL is on his way out and Osvaldo hasn't impressed in pre-season against poor opposition. Most of the 'wonderkids' are already commanding silly fees so if anybody has any recommendations that'd be really helpful!

Edited by ant

• 3 weeks later...
Do Lambert or Lallana deserve legend status for FM15?

Our survey says...

Lambert...

Lallana...

Is it too late to vote on this?

Also I never really got into 14 despite just over 300 hours on 13. Was planning a new save but not sure which to go for, will I learn to love FM14 ever?

Is it too late to vote on this?

Also I never really got into 14 despite just over 300 hours on 13. Was planning a new save but not sure which to go for, will I learn to love FM14 ever?

I've just really gotten into a save - simmed a season and took over AFC Wimbledon who had just been relegated to the conference, with the bank balance £700k in the red. Now going into the 18/19 season we're in the Championship having squeaked through the L1 play-offs last season, having not spent a penny on a transfer yet.

Really enjoying it - I recommend simming the first season and going from there. Makes things a little more interesting.

Started a new Saints save. Set it up on editor so Lambert, Lallana & Shaw left for the reported fees (£4m, £26m & £30m) and have tried having a go at rebuilding a squad.

Team looking like:

Boruc

Clyne De Vrij Lovren B. Davies

Morgan Vic

Barkley Gaston Jrod

Volland

Threw some serious money at Volland & Barkley. Really hasn't paid off, both have been a bit poor.

Havn't had the best of starts to the season either. May well get sacked if things don't pick up soon. Hope Koeman is better at this management lark than I am.

Done a very similar thing, even changed us to stripes, added Toadic and Pelle on the assumption they were done deals.. Took a while to get going as any new signings are added to the 'new' signings of Lovren and Wanyama. Therefore the team takes a lot of gelling. First season is just surviving and rebuilding the team.

Done a very similar thing, even changed us to stripes, added Toadic and Pelle on the assumption they were done deals.. Took a while to get going as any new signings are added to the 'new' signings of Lovren and Wanyama. Therefore the team takes a lot of gelling. First season is just surviving and rebuilding the team.

Yeah I turned it around.

Signed some plodders in Jan as I was lacking in experience. Went on an epic unbeaten streak and managed to sneak 5th on the last day. Got a cracking 3-5-2 set up for the big guns, I seem to win more than I lose against these teams playing that. Though Kat has got the hump because I'm not playing possession football.

For some reason my version the top half is always unbelievably tight. Could have finished anywhere between 3rd-9th on the last day depending on results.

Pre-season has a familiar feel to it. Gaston got all billy big balls as PSG & Monaco came calling. Pulled off an unbelievable coup - managed a straight swap for James Rodriguez who was transfer listed and unhappy.

J-Rod is also getting attention from Arsenal, Liverpool and (oddly) Barcelona. Now throwing his toys out the pram because I've told him no. :wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...