Football Manager 2014

Matthew Le God

image_308001_460.jpg

More than 1,000 improvements and enhancements including...

Improved Match Engine

The 3D Match Engine has seen extensive improvements, including enhanced AI, improved lighting and player animation, individual player character and kit models, more realistic player reaction to on-field incidents and a range of optimisations which combine to make this the best looking and fastest FM Match Engine yet.

Tactical overhaul

There has been a complete redesign of how tactics are created, selected and implemented with player roles and team strategies becoming even more prominent, definable roles for players for multiple positions, new player roles and instructions and improvements to rival managers' AI so that they’ll adapt their tactics more readily over time.

More realistic transfers and contracts

FM 2014 features a revamped transfer module where opposing clubs and managers adopt a more realistic approach when making or responding to transfer offers. In addition, a number of new ‘real world’ transfer clauses have been added, such as the facility to loan a player back to the club he’s just been bought from and the option to offer a combination of cash and loan players, as well as new contract clauses such as a sub bench appearance fee. On top of this, the old ‘turn-based’ system of transfer negotiations can now be done two ways, the tried and tested system and a new ‘live’ system, similar to that used in FM’s contract negotiations.

More sophisticated board interaction

Contract negotiations are more realistic in FM 2014, as managers and boards can now make demands and lay down their respective visions for the club in both initial job interviews and contract renewal discussions. Managers can also attempt to renegotiate transfer and wage budgets as a reward for staying loyal if they’ve been offered a job by another club, with the outcome helping aid their decision on whether to move or not.

Improved interaction with players, staff and media

There is now better interaction between players, managers, their rivals and the media; for example, members of the coaching staff now offer feedback on how reserve and youth team players are performing. Managers can also ask key players to have a word with unhappy squad members, while the introduction of an end-of-season meeting allows the manager to let the squad know how they have performed and set targets for the coming season.

News system

The news system has been overhauled so managers can now deal with many club matters directly from their inbox. In addition, news is now colour-coded, based on category, and contains more detail – for example, scout reports now appear as a single news item with a top-line report on all players scouted and the facility to shortlist or make an offer for each of these players.

Enhanced user interface

Major changes have been made to FM 2014’s user interface. Key areas have been redesigned – including the training overview page, the transfer centre and the news homepage – while widespread changes have been made across the game’s user interface. The language employed throughout the game has also enjoyed a major overhaul and now corresponds more closely to the language of real world football.

Football Manager Classic evolved

Managers can now choose more than three playable nations in Classic mode for a more immersive experience. In addition, FM’s ‘fast play’ mode now includes Transfer Deadline Day, a Match Plan wizard and new unlockables.

Is there any difference between being a beta tester for an incomplete game and having just bought the any of the last 6 versions on the release date?

As someone who bought FML13 in July, I would suspect not. :)

That was a lot of screenshots of something that fundamentally looks just like the last game. I'm new to this, so I'll just assume that every year you all make the same "complete overhaul" and "totally different" jokes and then MLG gets all defensive and before you know it we're on page 13 and update 3.3 has turned Ian Holloway black.

That was a lot of screenshots of something that fundamentally looks just like the last game. I'm new to this, so I'll just assume that every year you all make the same "complete overhaul" and "totally different" jokes and then MLG gets all defensive and before you know it we're on page 13 and update 3.3 has turned Ian Holloway black.

Nailed it, tbf :lol:

As someone who bought FML13 in July, I would suspect not. :)

Pretty spot on though there is a good point where MLG posts a load Miles Jacobson videos. In these videos Miles tells us about the complete overhaul of the game and how much better it will be. Weeks of videos get posted and Miles wears the same T-shirt. By the end, you can see the egg and armpit sweat stains. Also, come October, we all buy the game and wonder how MLG was able to get such a high rating for some players and completely miss others.

At this point in time I can imagine MLG is posting reams and reams of stats to some king MLG at SIgames.

MLG "Morgan Schneiderlin is one of the best midfielders in Europe."

King MLG "No he is not, he has had one good season. Before that he often lost his place to Cork and Hammond"

MLG "Emailing stats now plus info on the new stadium"

King MLG's PC - *You inbox has not exceeded your data limit*

King MLG "oh whatever - just stop emailing me"

Pie charts?!

This game looks increasingly like my work, and feels increasingly like work. Why always so bland? Could they not have pictures in the background? I know most people add them, just seems odd they release it looking so sh1t each year.

I'm still on FM12 though so what do I know.

I've tried the EA management offering, and it's terrible, but they do get the interface right. It actually feels as though you're playing a football game.

Football Manager Classic 2014 is coming to PlayStation Vita.

It is first time the handheld game is to feature our 3D Match Engine, alongside a pretty much identical feature set to FMC on home computers.

FMC14 for PS Vita allows cross-platform play away from home computers, meaning that fans who own both FM14 (and play Classic mode) for PC, Mac or Linux and FMC14 for PS Vita will be able to carry on a single continuous game, whether they’re at home using their computer or out and about with their PlayStation Vita (or vice versa). The saved game stored in the cloud.

http://www.sigames.com/news/14244/Football+Manager+Classic+2014+comes+to+PlayStation+Vita+play+home+and+away

Edited by Matthew Le God

Football Manager Classic 2014 is coming to PlayStation Vita.

It is first time the handheld game is to feature our 3D Match Engine, alongside a pretty much identical feature set to FMC on home computers.

FMC14 for PS Vita allows cross-platform play away from home computers, meaning that fans who own both FM14 (and play Classic mode) for PC, Mac or Linux and FMC14 for PS Vita will be able to carry on a single continuous game, whether they’re at home using their computer or out and about with their PlayStation Vita (or vice versa). The saved game stored in the cloud.

http://www.sigames.com/news/14244/Football+Manager+Classic+2014+comes+to+PlayStation+Vita+play+home+and+away

Nice idea. Almost tempted to get a Vita on the back of that. Shame it's the classic rather then full version though. I'm guessing it would also require two copies of the game?

we best get more money to spend as 2 seasons in a row we are one of the bigger spenders in the whole country

Depends how you look at it. Saints have spent £36m this summer and you will have Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo in your squad. How much more do you suggest I give you to spend at the beginning of FM14 ontop of the £36m the squad has already benefitted from? If I give another £36m then you will get double the benefit, which isn't right.

Le God, who decides our transfer kitty?

I do, and its a hard call to make.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Depends how you look at it. Saints have spent £36m this summer and you will have Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo in your squad. How much more do you suggest I give you to spend at the beginning of FM14 ontop of the £36m the squad has already benefitted from? If I give another £36m then you will get double the benefit, which isn't right.

I can tell you, £8m

So, has this game got any way of actually killing off sides who are in massive financial trouble - or is there a way of setting extinction up in the editor ? Here's a crazy one, let people rename teams after a fixed number of seasons to reflect changes in real life if you happen to be playing the game more than 8 months after launch ! I can set up Llanelli to owe £500m with interest of similar, but they never, EVER cease to exist in the game like they have IRL.

Does it have a realistic lower league Amateur team way of playing where players are mostly loyal to teams - even though they're not paid, or do they all fck off to better teams the second the season starts, which is of course completely unrealistic ?

Do you still have to relocate teams with capacities of a couple of hundred in order to expand the stadium by about 20 seats ?

Why is there no cut and paste kits option between home/away/GK shirts (or other teams?) in the editor ?

Or anything at all resembling a massive player creator feature that would allow you to just name players and set CA/PA and position so you could add a load of your mates to the game en masse ?

I haven't even played the game for more than a few hours and these things bug the sh1t out of me, god knows what it's like for someone who isn't just creating leagues and simming/testing...

What I do love is the opensource style interface and the customisability. But Jesus Christ get them to launch a quick and easy mass editor...

Edited by The9

Take your point however if you simulated the season from last with £4m there is no way you could get to enough funds to finance the £35m spend this summer so flawed and makes us uncompetitive.

What was the old one on then, was it unofficial? I got it from steam and before that, it installed automatically with the game. Never had any problem with it being unstable (unlike older versions of the game).

I know you like to toe the FM company line MLG but let's face it, they are doing a Ryanair on this one and charging you for something that used to be free. Will the 2020 edition have a Harry Redknapp feature where you have to pay a 3rd party (rosie@sigames) 79p everytime you want to complete a transfer?

What was the old one on then, was it unofficial? I got it from steam and before that, it installed automatically with the game. Never had any problem with it being unstable (unlike older versions of the game).

I know you like to toe the FM company line MLG but let's face it, they are doing a Ryanair on this one and charging you for something that used to be free. Will the 2020 edition have a Harry Redknapp feature where you have to pay a 3rd party (rosie@sigames) 79p everytime you want to complete a transfer?

SI have never made a "real time editor" before FM14, the only one available before was 3rd party and was unstable. A real time editor allows you to alter your savegames whilst you are playing.

SI will not be charging for the normal data editor that they have had in CM/FM for years.

I think Swedish David has logged into your account MLG.

So in the real time editor, you will basically be able to transfer any player to your team without any of the transfer stuff. Just pay 69p and Ronaldo is yours?

Who TF would do that?

Where the other paid additions to the last game i.e. can not be sacked popular?

Serious question not trolling.

So in the real time editor, you will basically be able to transfer any player to your team without any of the transfer stuff?

Thats pretty much it yes, but only in classic mode and will also impact on your point score on leaderboards.

Who TF would do that?

Lots of people that like to cheat in computer games. Not me though.

Where the other paid additions to the last game i.e. can not be sacked popular?

I have no idea.

Edited by Matthew Le God