Congrats Rickie

Saints boy in Leeds

• 2 years later...

Rickie's move to Liverpool was his dream come true but at 32 and with only a 2-year contract he must have known it wouldn't last long. The decline then, to WBA and Cardiff, when he clearly didn't want to stop playing, was sad. The video was very moving but it was a reminder that had be stayed at Southampton, he could have carried on a little longer and on retirement could have well been found a role, as Kelvin Davis was. All the same, it was an amazing story, from League one to the Premier League and England, proving all along the way that he could play at every level.

The biggest thing I miss about our L1/Champ days is the connection with the players. Everyone felt such joy and pride at that moment because we really felt we knew Rickie, and we knew how much it meant to him.

I know it's stupid because it's always 11 strangers on a pitch but those players from that period will always feel like old friends to me. Sad but true.

The biggest thing I miss about our L1/Champ days is the connection with the players. Everyone felt such joy and pride at that moment because we really felt we knew Rickie, and we knew how much it meant to him.

I know it's stupid because it's always 11 strangers on a pitch but those players from that period will always feel like old friends to me. Sad but true.

This exactly. It felt like we were all part of it and like you say we new the players personally. Remember the videos posted on social media contained the players laughing and having fun whilst training.

When Rickie scored it almost brought a tear to my eye.

Luckily for his reputation among the fanbase, Rickie’s legs had gone by the time the scousers came sniffing. Saved him having to throw his toys out of the pram to force a move as we were more than happy to cash in on him.

I know people like to highlight the perceived hypocrisy of the way saints fan treat various leavers of the last few years but it isn't really that hard to understand it just comes down to perception (which might not necessarily be the reality) of how a players managed the move. Lambert did it while maintaining a air of respect for saints that some other leavers just didn't manage.

5 years ago today...

definitely my favourite England moment, although this year's Colombia penalty shootout win after 22 years runs it close...

I went absolutely nuts and scared the life out of my wife when he scored - probably one of my favourite football moments of all time. Just felt like it was so deserved.

This exactly. It felt like we were all part of it and like you say we new the players personally. Remember the videos posted on social media contained the players laughing and having fun whilst training.

When Rickie scored it almost brought a tear to my eye.

I try to be at Wembley when Saints players make their England debuts and so was there that night. Before the game, watching all the Scots coming up Wembley Way, it looked like it was going to be like the games in the 70s, but inside, the Scots were confined to one corner so the celebrations from the England crowd when Rickie scored were tremendous. Fans were still singing his name when they poured out of the exits at the end. He was popular with fans of all clubs. This was pretty special too. Channon always turned it on against the Scots: