Gaston Ramirez the weakest link.

Barry Sanchez

You might have a point in terms of first 11. At this moment in time.

do you have a link to the article?

It was in the Times yesterday concerning all the team in the Premiership, it simply stated every considered weak link in the Leagues sides, Lee Cattermole for Sunderland and Danny Wellbeck for United etc etc.

Strangely think I might almost agree with the OP. Ramirez/Lallana/Yoshida look like the weakest links in the first choice team. All three have loads of potential though, and all three are worth persevering with. However, if we had to use one of them as a counterweight in a deal for a better replacement, it would be hard to say no (e.g. Banega for £4.5 + Ramirez anyone?).

However, even as one of our weaker-links, Ramirez is hardly a bad option. He'd be straight into the first team of 2/3 of the premier teams. He should get plenty of game time this year, and hopefully with a bit more experience, and a bit less pressure/expectation, he should hopefully start to impress us all.

We could do with a few less threads about him IMO. He's quickly replacing Guly and Fox as the anti-hero of choice for the trolls and numpties. Cut him some slack.

It was in the Times yesterday concerning all the team in the Premiership, it simply stated every considered weak link in the Leagues sides, Lee Cattermole for Sunderland and Danny Wellbeck for United etc etc.

Strange they see Welbeck as United's weak link and not central midfield. I thought everyone knew that!

Yeah Wellbeck has looked shockingly bad this season. Cracking article

if ramirez is weakest link we must be fcking good.

Too right. That's a massive compliment to the rest of the attacking midfielders we have. In response to the OP I'd say he will not start yet because he has not played well enough to deserve it, and if he carries on being ineffective when he does get a chance then he might get moved on - as any other player would. If he gets frustrated not playing much then he needs to start delivering the goods. A good example was the Sociedad game- compare his impact with Puncheon's- who clearly went out there with a point to prove and desperate to show it.

As for what an on form GR can do with Daniel and SRL - for me Saints are creating a version of what some will recall as "cosmic football", latterly reinvented by barca who gave it a twist of especially dynamic ball recovery tactics once out of possession. In this conception of football all of our players need to be highly comfortable in possession of the ball and highly mobile and fluid in and out of possession. GR has those characteristics. He fits into this way of playing anywhere along the front 6 and so is a particularly useful player/sub for MP. JP for instance would probably not be as good centrally, whilst you would not normally put Morgan or big Vic wide.

I cannot see the logic in how our weak link could possibly be someone who isn't currently getting into the team regularly? On that basis how about Danny Fox, Lee Barnard?

The only weak link for me would be Danny Fox who is deficient in some quite important ways when it comes to our tactical approach. If Ramirez plays it's not at the expense of something fundamental to our side, when Fox plays he needs carrying by the man playing in front of him, effecting our attacking potential down the left flank.

Edited by Colinjb

If Osvaldo plays as a striker and Ramirez doesnt click like many on here believe (myself included) then being the weak link might not be a bad shout,the team should be set up where everything goes through him,if he cant make it happen then he becomes a problem

Is this the same Lee Cattermole who has lost his shirt number to Cabral? Sounds like he will be the weak link, especially as it doesn't appear he's going to be playing too many games. Seems the journo is right on the ball with this one.

What a load of rubbish this thread is. Gaston has some serious competition for his place with Osvaldo and Victor signed over the summer but so has Adam and J Rod. It's up to them to force MP to select them in the first XI which hopefully will lead to strong performances from all of the above. Gaston was hit and miss last year (Great v Villa (h), Newcastle (h), Gunners (h) and Everton (h), poor away from home at times) but has bags of talent and could combine very well with the players we've brought in.

I don't reckon we would've bought Ramirez if Ponch had been manager at the time. He don't seem to fit in with the plan, he's too casual or whatever. Not one to be chasing down the ball + harassing people.

If anything, he showed more of that in his brief cameo on Saturday. Held off a couple of players and attempted to go on a bit of run.

If he's improved his upper body strength over the summer, then he could have much more of an impact.

Personally speaking, I would rather Punch than Gaston. I didn't see the game on Saturday, but last season I thought that he got knocked off the ball too easily. Oh he is skillful, no doubt, but there weren't enough flashes of it for me to prefer him to Punch. And let's not mention his dead ball delivery.....can't remember which game it was, but it was woeful - think it might have been the home QPR game.

Here are his stats last season: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/gaston-ramirez/leistungsdaten/spieler_123742_2012.html

I don't reckon we would've bought Ramirez if Ponch had been manager at the time. He don't seem to fit in with the plan, he's too casual or whatever. Not one to be chasing down the ball + harassing people.

I think people assume he's more of a drifter because that's how he operates when we're in possession, but he does work hard defensively. He doesn't usually bust a gut to make runs or get into the box, but he does his bit to try and get the ball back from the opposition.

I think he very well could be the weakest link in terms of players that make the system work. But as we saw at times last year, against teams that come to defend and not attack, our system can be easily stifled and made to look devoid of creativity.

Players like Gaston, once he's settled and gets a run, will be essential "weak links", late on against teams that park the bus.

The Times has stated it believes him to be the weakest link in the side, most know on here know what I think of this player, do you believe he is destined to be placed on the sidelines or sold? If not where will he fit in and where will Osvaldo and Lambert play?

.. but that won't stop me posting it again anyway :rolleyes:

Given the amount of money spent on Osvaldo - which still looks a good deal to me - and the quality of our midfield, I am wondering whether we will just cash in on Ramirez. He is clearly a quality player, but not quite performing at the level that we would expect. He may just not have settled. It happens sometimes.

Bazza - what would he need to do in your eyes to make him not the weak link? Get 10 out of 10 each and every week? Play a full 90 mins every week? Jus want to know your criteria.

Put in a shift.

Look vaguely interested.

Look fit.

Last a game.

Last a game based upon performance.

Pass the ball and use it far more wisely.

Cross a ball better.

Take a corner better.

This is the danny Welbeck that scored twice and has been putting in good displays for england ?

Let's see how he does with Ossie in the team. I'm hoping he'll come more alive with a player that likes it played through the channels or ahead of him.

Big season for Gaston and I think he'll come good, he's got some quality about him. Need to get off the guy's back and cut him some slack, if he doesn't do the business Poch will take action anyway.

I have to say I haven't been this excited about a Saints team for many years. Still can't quite believe we've signed Osvaldo.

If anything, he showed more of that in his brief cameo on Saturday. Held off a couple of players and attempted to go on a bit of run.

If he's improved his upper body strength over the summer, then he could have much more of an impact.

He also did this well against Everton, in fact whenever I have seen him he works hard. Looks good on the ball, just is prone to frustratingly give it away every now and again.

Im not even sure its that much more than anyone else either, its just popular to dislike him I supposed.

Some would say obsessive. How long til your Osvaldo threads Dune ?

He also did this well against Everton, in fact whenever I have seen him he works hard. Looks good on the ball, just is prone to frustratingly give it away every now and again.

Im not even sure its that much more than anyone else either, its just popular to dislike him I supposed.

Some would say obsessive. How long til your Osvaldo threads Dune ?

You simply cant appear to be wrong and state he has been awful since his arrival and has done nothing to justify the transfer fee, I would not mind so much if he tried, he appears to at the very least half arsed.

Either he is substituted for being below par consistantly or a lack of fitness, you can choose, it cant be tactical all the time.