Some statistics from the West Brom game. Saints playing long ball?

Colinjb

Southampton

* Southampton played signifcantly more long balls (94) than any other team this weekend. Dejan Lovren (15) and Jose Fonte (11) topped the PL player charts for accurate long balls.

* Fonte made the equal-highest number of clearances (14) in the PL v West Brom.

* James Ward-Prowse matched cross machine Leighton Baines for accurate crosses (5).

Taken from F365.

The long ball stat surprised me greatly. Fantastic showing for Ward-Prowse though.

I wouldn't have expected it before the game but having watched it unfold those stats make sense. West Brom were very organised and part of their defensive strategy was to crowd the midfield, forcing the opposition into making long passes which their big, strong centre halves could easily bring down. Thankfully Dejan and Jose both coped with that pressure quite well, and delivered some good balls to Lallana, Ward-Prowse, Rodriguez and Wanyama as well as Lambert. Plenty of cross-field balls as well, some of which came from the split centre backs when Boruc restarted play at the back.

It should be stressed that this is different from 'playing long ball' in the sense that the term is typically used, which involves playing percentages and aiming for areas rather than players.

Edited by DuncanRG

No-one can tell me Lovren doesn't love a hoof.

My favourite stat is from FourFourTwo this month - it says that in 2011/12 Stewart Downing had the most successful passes without an assist and in 2012/13 it was Matt Jarvis. Both of them were wingers crossing for Andy Carroll.

Long ball and hoof ball are two different things. To me, it certainly didn't look like hoof ball last Saturday.

Indeed and a significant number of the long balls were across the pitch (Literally from one side to another) as opposed to down it. We did that an awful lot (Couple of times it went out of play) and I am assuming that is why the stat is so high.

The stat in itself is not particularly illuminating - what matters more is the number of long balls as a % of total passes.

I see your point, the completion rate would be telling, however the indication that we were quite content to attempt these kind of cross field balls more then any either team in the league is a surprise.

I see your point, the completion rate would be telling, however the indication that we were quite content to attempt these kind of cross field balls more then any either team in the league is a surprise.

Especially without Fox in the team and Richardson haring up the wing to cross for Lambert.

I prefer this stat from Squawka http://squawka.com/news/2013/08/19/analysis-southampton-win-90-of-tackles-as-they-gain-opening-victory/2013081917851

"Victor Wanyama... was successful in 100% of tackles, clearances and take ons. He also completed 80% of passes and won two thirds of his headed duels."

Does seem to make a little bit of a mockery of the Kilmarnock (I think it was) manager who said words to the effect of 'we didn't bother marking Wanyama as he would just give the ball back to us.'

Except 80% of passes completed is not good, it's pretty average, slightly below average I'd be guessing.

http://www.eplindex.com/27870/epl-passing-accuracy-consistency-12-13s-best-worst-performers.html

That's the kind of percentage top Prem players are averaging in the final third, not in an area where you get plenty of unpressured passes sideways and backwards, have twice as many options to pass to in the first place, and are sometimes only being closed down by ineffective attackers.

Except 80% of passes completed is not good, it's pretty average, slightly below average I'd be guessing.

http://www.eplindex.com/27870/epl-passing-accuracy-consistency-12-13s-best-worst-performers.html

That's the kind of percentage top Prem players are averaging in the final third, not in an area where you get plenty of unpressured passes sideways and backwards, have twice as many options to pass to in the first place, and are sometimes only being closed down by ineffective attackers.

Fair point well made, nonetheless in his first game at Premier League level, against one of the better regarded defenses in the league, not terrible.

As has already been said, a long ball does not have to be a hot potato HOOOOF up field, WBA were working JWP and young Callum most of the time, while Luke Shaw was reading Tolstoy out on the left wing Jose spotted this and when Luke had finished another chapter Jose would send over a Hollywood ball to stop him feeling left out.

I prefer this stat from Squawka http://squawka.com/news/2013/08/19/analysis-southampton-win-90-of-tackles-as-they-gain-opening-victory/2013081917851

"Victor Wanyama... was successful in 100% of tackles, clearances and take ons. He also completed 80% of passes and won two thirds of his headed duels."

Just goes to show how misleading stats can be:

100% of tackles (one tackle)

clearances (three clearances)

and take ons (one take on).

He also completed 80% of passes (33 of 41 attempts)

and won two thirds of his headed duels (two of three attempts)

You see, if he had failed to make that one tackle, they could legitimately say that he had failed to make a single tackle, failed in 100% of his tackling attempts etc etc.

Fair point well made, nonetheless in his first game at Premier League level, against one of the better regarded defenses in the league, not terrible.

I'd be more inclined to say his pass percentage was lower because he hits a few long diagonal balls (which he was also doing against Real Sociedad) which are higher risk, and his strengths are in closing down and regaining the ball rather than necessarily distributing it. He also runs well with the ball and has a great shot, which are all areas we're a bit lacking in.

As has already been said, a long ball does not have to be a hot potato HOOOOF up field, WBA were working JWP and young Callum most of the time, while Luke Shaw was reading Tolstoy out on the left wing Jose spotted this and when Luke had finished another chapter Jose would send over a Hollywood ball to stop him feeling left out.

I enjoyed this post John Boy. Summed it up very well. Nice LOL