Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

It will be the tempo, expectation, atmosphere and style of game that will be like no other for lambert. Hence the 'big test' line

Amazing you even need to point this out to people, TDD.

It's a sensational new m-board viewpoint - if you are good in the league then you'll be good internationally because it's, like, easier and that.

Such a pity no one told John Barnes. Or the tens, probably hundreds of English players for whom this hasn't been the case over the last thirty years.

He has got himself into the team, grabbed his chance and doesnt look out of place, fair play to the lad and yes it has been a fairytale and a gamble that paid off.

Personally I think he will do a good job tonight but as Samuals said it has the potential to turn sour for him. He will now be a decent option up until the WC, but lets be honest, Welbeck, Sturridge and Rooney are all better options than him and after the WC we shoukd IMHO drop anyone too old for the next WC which will include all the centurians and Lambert unfortunately

Considering Rickie had given up up on ever getting a cap, I'm just enjoying his goals and games so far and the fact that he maybe in the WC squadblet alone what's going to happen post2014.

He has got himself into the team, grabbed his chance and doesnt look out of place, fair play to the lad and yes it has been a fairytale and a gamble that paid off.

Personally I think he will do a good job tonight but as Samuals said it has the potential to turn sour for him. He will now be a decent option up until the WC, but lets be honest, Welbeck, Sturridge and Rooney are all better options than him and after the WC we shoukd IMHO drop anyone too old for the next WC which will include all the centurians and Lambert unfortunately

I disagree. When Rooney is not available Lambert is the perfect replacement. He's not in the same class as Wayne but he disrupts the system less when he steps in for Rooney.

I also think suggesting things will turn sour is unfair. Tonight's game could be a very tight one, a game that you often see Rooney becomming frustrated in and having a poor game.

Edited by notnowcato

This sums up the pervasive attitude in many glory team players, and why SRL is so popular by contrast:

Its also bull****, if we look at the Netherlands for instance then this was the first time in years they played regular senior national team players in an U21 squad. Its quite common that U21 that play for the senior team do not participate.

I also understand why they wouldn't want to participate. They're not really regulars for their club teams so I understand them wanting to take part in the whole pre-season (which isn't really possible if you played in the U21 Euro's).

Its very easy to judge them for not having enough pride but the fact of the matter is that they played a summertournament 2012 and will probably play on in 2014. At some point the body needs a rest. They're choosing with their heads and not with their hart.

Can you explain what bit of that article demonstrates the media being "hell bent on English failure"?

Seriously, pick a sentence. Or two if you like.

I honestly cannot see what is wrong with that piece.

If an almost indentical article was written about Wellbeck or Andy Carroll people on here would point to it as another example of "the media" overhyping average England players.

Hi CB Fry,

I'm not specifically referencing the article, I'm referencing my 20 odd years watching England and constantly feeling exasperated by the build them up, knock them down attitude. The Mail article is an odd mix of the two. I can't see how anyone, with England best interests at heart, could find anything negative to say about Rickie's success. Yet they're already find headlines like: Do Hodgson's hopes really rest on one-time beetroot bottler Lambert from Kirkby?

Do you really not find that headline offensive to Rickie's ability?

Hi CB Fry,

I'm not specifically referencing the article, I'm referencing my 20 odd years watching England and constantly feeling exasperated by the build them up, knock them down attitude. The Mail article is an odd mix of the two. I can't see how anyone, with England best interests at heart, could find anything negative to say about Rickie's success. Yet they're already find headlines like: Do Hodgson's hopes really rest on one-time beetroot bottler Lambert from Kirkby?

Sort of. But good as he is, a team which is capable of competing for honours in major international tournaments starts with better players than Rickie Lambert. The question is at what point, and for how long, England has ever been this team.

Anyone invested in England's success has to think about those issues.

Edited by DuncanRG

Hi CB Fry,

No. It's not offensive....it's meaningless. Just like "he's like one of us/not like a pampered premadonna/breath of fresh air" stuff we've had, the "positive" angle on exactly the same theme.

It's really not negative, just a story.

Anyway. Who cares. Game on.