Best Saints pubs to visit before and after a game

Ottawa Saint

I am travelling to the UK from Canada for holidays, and will be going to the Crystal Palace match with a Canadian Mate of mine. Which are the best pubs around St. Mary's I can take him too ?
Depends what you like in a pub? Busy or quiet? Sky sports? Real ale?

Try The Platform before the game, down near the ferries and historic buildings: busy with a good atmosphere, good beers, typical English pub. Afterwards a number spring to mind, but The Guidedog meets similar criteria and you can buy the beer by the jug. Best not to be driving anywhere...

I'd second The Alex. Depending on which direction you're approaching the ground from (and whether you can get into it), The Rockstone has a top selection of drinks.

Viking Warrior - do you mean The Guide Dog? If so I'd agree. In fact you could quite easily do all three on the way to St. Mary's if you fancy turning up merry.

I know it's not the most glamorous of pubs, but what's happened to the King Alfred? It was always handy for a last minute stop off before getting to the ground.
Agreed, not the best pub in the world, but not the worst either, real pity it's closed, yet another Saints pub gone. Rumour was that an employee did a runner with some of the takings and also that it's been sold with the plan of turning it into an Indian restaurant. Shame.

It's over-rated. Plus gets packed if there is more than about 30 people up there. Plenty of other good places for an ale around St Denys/Bevois Valley.

It's a decent little pub, and the landlord/lady are great folks. Mind you as you say unless the weather is good and you can spill out onto the street it's so small it gets packed in about two seconds flat.

It's a decent little pub, and the landlord/lady are great folks. Mind you as you say unless the weather is good and you can spill out onto the street it's so small it gets packed in about two seconds flat.
I'm certainly not saying it's a bad pub, it's much better than most - just that some of the praise is a bit over the top and it'd actually be better for a few pints on a non-football day.

Thanks to all the responses. We will be walking to the stadium from the train station and then back to the station after the match. I am originally from Hythe, but my Canadian friend has never been to a Premiership game, so I wanted to show him how the Saints fans party pre-match at some of pubs on the way to the stadium. It has been 17 years since I last visited Southampton....so all your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all the responses. We will be walking to the stadium from the train station and then back to the station after the match. I am originally from Hythe, but my Canadian friend has never been to a Premiership game, so I wanted to show him how the Saints fans party pre-match at some of pubs on the way to the stadium. It has been 17 years since I last visited Southampton....so all your help is greatly appreciated.
Have a few around Bedford Place and London Road, can doa few different places in a short time and see what suits you best.

Have a few around Bedford Place and London Road, can doa few different places in a short time and see what suits you best.

Why not try the 'Red Lion' on the Queen Elizabeth Mile, (formerly the Lower High Street). The oldest pub in So'ton. Beer is reasonably priced,

(£3.10 for a pint of Carling) The grub is excellent value for the money, too, but be hungry before you order or take your own 'doggie bag'

'The Platform' is a pub built into the old town walls. Beers are well kept but are a bit pricey,(3.80 for Fosters).

The Frog & Parrott (formally the Old Fat Cat) is our football boozer. Can get very busy at times but the beer is reasonably priced and they're now serving Peroni on tap too which at £4.10 is the cheapest I've found it to date.

Like the Red Lion & Platform Tavern which have already been mentioned, two of Southampton's finest pubs.

The Guide Dog has the best beer in Southampton. The crowds take up much of Earls Rd at busy times. Great beer and cheap, what more could anyone want? At 10.60 for a 4 pint jug. Why are there so few home games now we are Premier league? Don't get to visit as much now!

Edited by eling-saint

just by the by, does anywhere Southampton have Rekorderlig on draft? I'm a bit addicted to the overpriced effeminate nectar of gods! I'll go proper out my way to get rekorderlig on tap!

I'm not sure if this is a serious question or not, but if it is, I believe they have it on tap in Soul Cellar, where they also serve 'Peng Burgers'.

The Guide Dog has the best beer in Southampton. The crowds take up much of Earls Rd at busy times. Great beer and cheap, what more could anyone want? At 10.60 for a 4 pint jug. Why are there so few home games now we are Premier league? Don't get to visit as much now!

I agree, though not really on the route from train station to ground that the OP is looking to take.