Transfer deadline day thread (Summer 2013)

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

You wanted signings done early, they were done early. Surely you're not now demanding more on deadline day as everyone predicted?!!

I expected the signings we've already secured to be having a better impact on the team and the results than they are.

And I didnt know we'd undertake the act of crass stupidity in letting one of our best-performing pre-season players (Puncheon, in case you were wondering to whom I refer) out on loan without having a decent replacement in that role.

Seems to me Saints players shoudl be sh*te in pre-season; Billy Sharp was rewarded with a Spanish Archer for his good pre-season last year...

I expected the signings we've already secured to be having a better impact on the team and the results than they are.

And I didnt know we'd undertake the act of crass stupidity in letting one of our best-performing pre-season players (Puncheon, in case you were wondering to whom I refer) out on loan without having a decent replacement in that role.

Seems to me Saints players shoudl be sh*te in pre-season; Billy Sharp was rewarded with a Spanish Archer for his good pre-season last year...

If only you were the manager. We'd be top of the league right now! Oh, wait...

Lallana, Ramirez, Davis, J Rod, JWP, Isgrove, Lambert, Osvaldo, Mayuka can all play in puncheons role ?

And Lovren, Wanyama have both come in and played very well ?

Nice to see the loss to Norwich has dragged you back out from under the bridge

I can play in Puncheons role, doesnt mean I am any good at it.

And it also doesnt belie the fact he was one of our best performing pre-season players, whereas Gashton had his feet up for almost the entire duration. And doesnt it show...

Never mind, he's pretty to look at, when the elbows arent flying.

Any examples of other teams that has had great impact in the THREE first games of the season?

City, by losing to Cardiff??

Spurs, by only scoring two, both from penalties??

Liverpool, by only have impacts from players they already had last year attacking-wise. Mignolet and Kolo Toure defensively are players that has played a lot of years in PL so not the same thing?

Norwich perhaps, but they (only) won against us. And we have no right to think we should walk over them, winnable yes but it´s a typical fifty-fifty game...

Newly signed players very rarely has any impacts the first month, especially if they are new to PL........get used to that.

And it also doesnt belie the fact he was one of our best performing pre-season players, whereas Gashton had his feet up for almost the entire duration. And doesnt it show...

As far as I can tell Puncheon's move was motivated by the player himself, it wasn't primarily our decision. I believe he has a new born son up in Croydon and wanted to go back to be with the little one as much as he can. (Not 100% on that but completely explains the move.)

Hope we can get a replacement, Tom Ince would be ideal.

And Alpine, please 'Gash'ton..... such low efforts don't become you. ;)

Having been called on international duty by a major footballing nation and so playing/training when Punch had his feet up Id say it was a fair thing. Plus, I take nothing from pre season, its just a match fitness exercise.

Lets ignore Punch's 'family issues' which meant he had to move a massive 1hr30 up the road, if it was Gaston that had 'family issues' you would have been frothing at the mouth.

Thanks for proving my long-standing case about getting players in at the beginning of pre-season. I thank you....

Actually, I´m talking about from when PL starts.

But if you want to talk about getting players in early pre-season....you might wanna catch up on how the business works these days...

You mean like City in which his response has effectively rebuked yours ?

Well done sir

Actually, I´m talking about from when PL starts.

But if you want to talk about getting players in early pre-season....you might wanna catch up on how the business works these days...

3 games, 3 games of football. 3 flaming games.

OK chaps I know it's hard, I sometimes struggle to resist, but can I make some suggestions?

1) Put Alps on ignore

2) Take a deep breath and count to 10 (you'll probably realise it ain't worth your time an energy)

3) Go for the Bearsy approach and take the ****

Came on here to see if there were any new transfer rumours. Surprise surprise, same old 'why didn't we sign everyone the day the window opened' nonsense. Seriously, grow up. Sealing a deal early just isn't that simple. Anyways, any new rumours? Hoping for one wide player at least, Lennon would be ideal

Would Piatti need a WP or does he have some kind of dual nationality. Only 1 cap for Argentina otherwise...

He's been in Spain for a while with Valencia and Almeria (since 2008 ). So he wouldn't have Spanish nationality yet.

Work permit application could be interesting.

Ince would be a quality signing if we can tempt him to come south? Wouldn't be cheap though.

£8m?

Personally, I would opt for Lennon if we were to have a choice between the two, he is 26 y.o so not too old for our buying strategy, being completely proven in this league is a big plus for me with the season now underway.

ive always been a fan of his play at spurs and I think he would suit our pressing game.

Maybe we could once again sell out on any Bale transfer income, they may even have a keeper to throw into the mix!

Personally, I would opt for Lennon if we were to have a choice between the two, he is 26 y.o so not too old for our buying strategy, being completely proven in this league is a big plus for me with the season now underway.

Can't believe he is only 26, feels like he has been around forever!

Regualar first team performer at Spurs, has even captained the odd game for them and signed a 4 year contract last summer. Can't see why he would want to come here... he is effectively part of the furniture at Spurs and will surely fancy that he can fight for an maintain his place in their side.

Ince are probably not moving in this window. He might sign for a new club but it will probably be a loan back to Blackpool-deal.

Next summer when his kid is 1 yr old he can move easier than now with a newborn.

I think that´s why he turned down moves earlier in the summer if I remember it correctly...

£8m?

ive always been a fan of his play at spurs and I think he would suit our pressing game.

Maybe we could once again sell out on any Bale transfer income, they may even have a keeper to throw into the mix!

Ince has the potential to be really top class. Lennon is good but seems to have peaked and is on his way down. Yes I know he's only 26 but its similar to what happened to Owen and many others.

Can't believe he is only 26, feels like he has been around forever!

Regualar first team performer at Spurs, has even captained the odd game for them and signed a 4 year contract last summer. Can't see why he would want to come here... he is effectively part of the furniture at Spurs and will surely fancy that he can fight for an maintain his place in their side.

Can't see Lennon leaving yet, he'll at least stay and fight for his place - come January or next summer might be a different story if he's really dropped down their pecking order.

Ince would be a quality signing if we can tempt him to come south? Wouldn't be cheap though.

I'd take Ince, he's one I'd hoped we'd be in from the start of the window. He would be the ideal right side midfielder for us.

Works well up and down the flank, does well coming inside & a good eye for a goal. Just not sure he wants to come down south. Would also take Lennon & could be deal to be done with the small amount of Bale money coming our way.

Can't believe they'd let him go! Spurs will really struggle without his 3 goals a season, especially on top of Bale leaving.

A little bit of pace/cover in the attacking final third wouldn't go a miss though...

no good adding players if you're afraid to drop Lambert so that you finish with a mish-mash of blokes out of position. It's either Osvaldo or Lambert but not both. If we add a wide man you'd have to drop Lallana or JWP but we don't seem willing to do that just now.