Transfer deadline day thread (Summer 2013)

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

I know it rolls over until Monday because the 31st is on a Saturday but I wondered if there would be some merit in starting it earlier, just in case there are any whispers at the game today.

Poch did indicate in his press conference he'd be happy to go with what he's got but he did also say they are still keeping an eye on the market. Also I'd have thought there would be more fringe players leaving, as Deano did yesterday.

It probably won't happen, but I'm disappointed we've not strengthened in the GK dept. We're only an injury to Boruc away from a problem here.

GK being a unique position is one where you can't give an understudy the occasional game, or bring them off the bench, as you can outfield players. Our two understudies are reasonable standard and Kelvin, of course, very experienced.

There will be the usual last day flurry of moves so it would be surprising if none of our players are involved. Hopefully some of those without squad numbers moving on. Whether we bring in a winger seems to depend on an adequate player becoming available but as you can only play another forward at the expense of one of the 7 or 8 attacking MF or Strikers we already have, its understandable if Pochettino doesn't see it as essential.

So....anything going to happen then?

If we don't replace Puncheon we're mental. I think it has to to be honest.

I don't want to come across spoiled as we've already spent a load of money, but we didn't ever address our massive weakness from last year (attacking pace) - in fact, we've actually weakened it. Go figure.

I don't think we will get anyone with pace to play out wide and I think the reason for that is MP wants to play like he is still in Spain where the build up is more sedate and precise. And that is my concern cos I'm not sure that will work in The Premiership.

I don't think we will get anyone with pace to play out wide and I think the reason for that is MP wants to play like he is still in Spain where the build up is more sedate and precise. And that is my concern cos I'm not sure that will work in The Premiership.

But even Spain and Barca have pace, they don't play with ''out and out wingers'', no, but they play with attacking players who play across the line but have the ability and pace to take a man on and beat him. Spain deploy Jesus Navas and Pedro in that position, Barca deploy Neymar, Pedro and Alexis in those positions.

So, even if he wants us to play like Spain, we still need pace to make it anywhere near effective.

But even Spain and Barca have pace, they don't play with ''out and out wingers'', no, but they play with attacking players who play across the line but have the ability and pace to take a man on and beat him. Spain deploy Jesus Navas and Pedro in that position, Barca deploy Neymar, Pedro and Alexis in those positions.

So, even if he wants us to play like Spain, we still need pace to make it anywhere near effective.

They may well do but did Espanyal when he was manager ?

If noone else comes in ie fullback and winger I think we will be the surprise team negatively and be sat in a relegation place or just above it come the January transfer window especially if we are unlucky with injuries. All our direct competitors have strengthened and we cant beat the mediocre teams and the big teams will be far more difficult to beat this season as they wont under estimate us this season. I am currently a little worried about the 2nd season syndrome and feel talk of a top 8 place is a long way off on the 1st three performances of the season

If noone else comes in ie fullback and winger I think we will be the surprise team negatively and be sat in a relegation place or just above it come the January transfer window especially if we are unlucky with injuries. All our direct competitors have strengthened and we cant beat the mediocre teams and the big teams will be far more difficult to beat this season as they wont under estimate us this season. I am currently a little worried about the 2nd season syndrome and feel talk of a top 8 place is a long way off on the 1st three performances of the season

Have we not strengthened then?

Having spent thirty odd million quid and broken our transfer record twice on three players down the spine of the team, I am not sure you can say we haven't strengthened...we have, probably more than all our "direct competitors".

I am not expecting much more from deadline day, save for a couple of departures. Maybe a loan in, or some kid signed. But no big signings to come.

Time to get on with it.

Having spent thirty odd million quid and broken our transfer record twice on three players down the spine of the team, I am not sure you can say we haven't strengthened...we have, probably more than all our "direct competitors".

I am not expecting much more from deadline day, save for a couple of departures. Maybe a loan in, or some kid signed. But no big signings to come.

Time to get on with it.

I was not saying that we hadn't strengthened as we obviously have with Lovren, Wanyama and Osvaldo.We have spent a lot of money on these 3 players. Lovren looks class and hopefully the other 2 will come good but at this stage we look a poorer side with those 2 in and Cork and JRod not playing. Early days but Morgan does not look the same player without Cork

Teams like Swansea,Norwich and Fulham have all seriously strengthened and if we want to be a top 10 side we need to be beating teams like Norwich imo.

We still need a fullback and winger to provide more options and pace now we haven't got Puncheon and so Fox is not playing if Shaw is injured.Just dont think Fox is a premiership quality fullback and don't think Targett is ready hence why I feel the need for cover is essential.

Think we need to cover these two positions if we are serious about finishing 8th this season but dont expect anything to happen this transfer window

Teams like Swansea,Norwich and Fulham have all seriously strengthened and if we want to be a top 10 side we need to be beating teams like Norwich imo.

Away? A top half side should look to beat their rivals at home but Carrow Road's a tough place to go and better teams struggle there. We did remarkably well last season and even then it took a penalty save to earn us a point.

Our pace has come from Shaw and Clyne and that's how he wants the team set up. Damn shame neither are fit enough it would seem to start, as their inclusion would make us a much more threatening team.

All eggs in one basket and no plan b, amtuerish to say the least, we need a stronger squad as like last year its painfully obvious when a few key players are out we stutter and suffer.

More original thinking is needed.

I don't think we will see any movement at all. We've brought in some decent players, we just need to make them work. We've got enough up front and we're tight enough at the back. There is decent cover in pretty much every position too.

Get Clyne and Shaw back in the team and let VW and Ossie get used to our system, we will be alright.

"We will see what happens from here until Monday (transfer deadline day). That's a long time and we can make a lot of decisions, but like us the rest of the clubs are also looking to add to their squads or have players leave, so we will see what happens.

"There are a couple of areas that perhaps we need to reinforce, but there's a couple more days for us to make decisions."

That sounds better...

That sounds better...

2 players.

1. Glaringly obvious that we need someone who can play in from wide mid, preferably with pace, and who can take a player on.

2. Left back. PLEASE.

With new first team players joining, it has to be remembered that we are again a team somewhat back in transition. As such, I would say we need a handful of games to get things flowing.

One thing we know Poch brings to the table, with time, his teams will play with fluidity and high tempo.

Whilst witnessing 2nd half of last season, the evident shortfalls in our game this new season, is the opposite. Disjointed, scrappy and low tempo play, the polar opposite of what we now know as Poch's trademark style.

Will it come good, in my opinion, most definitely! What we need is a natural progression of time for all adjusting and full bedding in, to take place.

As it happens, I would play following next game:

Boruc

Clyne

Fonte

Lovren

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Lallana

Rodriguez

Gaston

Osvaldo

Gaston in front of a midfield 3, feeding Osvaldo, and Clyne and shaw, providing the width we've so been lacking so far. Chambers and Jwp on right proving a week link to date.

Rest Rickie for a game, lets get some rhythm going!!

UTS