Your first XI

gogo_saint

So now the window has closed and we know exactly who we have and haven't got for the next 4 months. What do you think should be our first choice 11, assuming all fit. I'm not interested in what you think MP will do, but rather what you would do.

Here's my thoughts:

Home:

---------------Boruc-----------

Clyne---Yoshida-----Lovren----Shaw

------Schneiderlin---Wanyama----

J-Rod---------Lambert------Lallana

-------------Osvaldo--------

Away:

-------------Boruc-------------

Clyne---Yoshida---Lovren----Shaw

---------------Cork-------

-----Schneiderlin--Wanyama---

J-Rod----------------------Lallana

I'm sad I can't get Ramirez into either team, and would never want the job of telling Lambert he's not getting picked! I feel we may have too many similar options up front.. Relying on FB's and J-Rod for pace on the flanks.

And yes I grew up playing FM.

So now the window has closed and we know exactly who we have and haven't got for the next 4 months. What do you think should be our first choice 11, assuming all fit. I'm not interested in what you think MP will do, but rather what you would do.

Here's my thoughts:

Home:

Away:

I'm sad I can't get Ramirez into either team, and would never want the job of telling Lambert he's not getting picked! I feel we may have too many similar options up front.. Relying on FB's and J-Rod for pace on the flanks.

Have to say, I agree totally with your Home team, and understand your away side. However, I would still have Rickie in there, with perhaps Lallana dropping out, although he has played really well in the last 2 games. It is a tough choice for Poch.

I'd say...

SAINTS: Boruc; Clyne, Yoshida, Lovren, Shaw; Wanyama, Schneiderlin; Ramirez, Lallana, Rodriguez; Osvaldo.

BENCH: Gazzaniga, Chambers, Fonte, Cork, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Lambert.

(for the next game)

Nice to have options though. At current, I'd drop Lambert for Osvaldo to see how that works.

that would be my first XI as well, don't mind Fonte for Maya though for the time being but if refs start punishing bear-hugging and other various all in wrestling tactics with penalties at any time in the near future I'd have to revise my opinion on that.

Key pieces for me:

- Clyne and Shaw need to play.

- Fonte has done more than enough to keep his place (I wanted Yoshida to start season but Fonte and Lovren have been very solid in every game so far).

- Jay Rod has to start when fit as gives us a much more dynamic team, especially when coming in from the left.

- I don't see why Ramirez and AL can't play in the same team, especially at home.

- Lambert is not a number 10.

.....................Boruc...................

....Clyne Fonte Lovren Shaw.....

.........Morgan Wanyama.......

....Rodriguez Ramirez Lallana....

...................Osvaldo................

This for me, although Osvaldo and Rickie to battle it out up top for the starting spot. Harsh on JWP too, but the others are simply better players.

I could be swayed by that too, really get the feeling there's a lot to come from Ramirez this year. Hope so anyway. Not sure how we could fit Osvaldo and lambert into the same team without sacrificing width/shape/pace. Could you imagine doing this back in League One and leaving out an England striker?

I could be swayed by that too, really get the feeling there's a lot to come from Ramirez this year. Hope so anyway. Not sure how we could fit Osvaldo and lambert into the same team without sacrificing width/shape/pace. Could you imagine doing this back in League One and leaving out an England striker?

Eventually it will have to happen because there are obviously irreconcilable attributes at our disposal. If we wanted to play Lambert all game every game we shouldn't have bought an Italian international striker, we should have bough a winger. I do rather suspect that him getting called up for England has muddied the waters.

Although I picked Yoshida, right now its more than harsh to drop Fonte who has done nothing much wrong at all (except nearly give a pen away)

So I agree with this

Key pieces for me:

- Fonte has done more than enough to keep his place (I wanted Yoshida to start season but Fonte and Lovren have been very solid in every game so far).

- Jay Rod has to start when fit as gives us a much more dynamic team, especially when coming in from the left.

- I don't see why Ramirez and AL can't play in the same team, especially at home.

Yeah I would agree with all your points there, in 'my team' Lambert and Osvaldo would swap around and take turns battering the opposing CB's. Maybe Lambert could become a new 'False 10'.

Here's my thoughts:

Home:

Away:

Similar starting 11 for me.

I too would play Cork in away games, but dropping Wanyama. Also swapping J-Rod for Ramirez.

It's a more complex than "home" or "away" line ups. Our two away games so far haven't really shown any need for three defensive CMs, however some games against Man City, Arsenal, etc might do?

Key pieces for me:

If Clyne and Shaw are out again, what is our "plan B"? Are we too reliant on the use of those full backs.

This for me, although Osvaldo and Rickie to battle it out up top for the starting spot. Harsh on JWP too, but the others are simply better players.

I still think Rickie is a big player for us but time to see if we be effective without him. Ultimately, it's up to the strikers to make themselves undroppable by scoring and playing well but a great position to be in where we get to choose between an England Intl and Saints legend and an Intalian international for that spot.

JWP is a very good player but I think it's better to deploy him centrally, maybe for when we do opt for a CM 3. I'm not sure he'll be very effective as an AM in the long run, especially in the wider positions.

Impossible question to answer and a 'best 11' is a somewhat archaic concept. To a degree our selection will need to reflect how we intend to cope with what the opposition will throw at us.

Best answer I can manage is Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Louvren and Shaw as the back five, subject to fitness and form, but from DM forward I can see situations where we need to play just about any combination of the players available to us. For the front 6 I think Schneiderlin, Lallana and J-Rod should be automatic starters with Cork, VW, Lambert, Osvaldo, JWP, Davis and Ramirez being deployed depending on how we want to set up, whether we are at home or away and what we want to offer as an option off the bench.

If Clyne and Shaw are out again, what is our "plan B"? Are we too reliant on the use of those full backs.

Werent we heavily relaint on our full backs in our championship season? The amount of assists they got suggests so. Is it fair to say the man to take us to the next level is copying the tactics of the clueless bumpkin who was out of his depth?

It's a more complex than "home" or "away" line ups. Our two away games so far haven't really shown any need for three defensive CMs, however some games against Man City, Arsenal, etc might do?

Totally agree, was just going with the format the OP set out.

An away game v Man City / Arsenal a totally different prospect to Hull.

Each game throws up different questions/scenarios

Agreed. You only need to watch Ramirez play for Uruguay to get an idea of how he would improve us with a mobile player like osvaldo ahead of him.

Boric, Clyne, Lovren, Fonte, Shaw, Lallana, Schiederlin, Wanyama, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Lambert.

Pretty straight forward for most positions. Perhaps a bit of competition for Fonte from Yoshida. Rodriguez to rotate with Lambert?

i wouldn't play boric, he is corrosive influence.

............Morgan Wanyama.......

....Ramirez .................. Lallana....

.....................Lambert

.....................Osvaldo

...with Clyne and Shaw providing width

I'd say...

SAINTS: Boruc; Clyne, Yoshida, Lovren, Shaw; Wanyama, Schneiderlin; Ramirez, Lallana, Rodriguez; Osvaldo.

BENCH: Gazzaniga, Chambers, Fonte, Cork, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Lambert.

(for the next game)

Nice to have options though. At current, I'd drop Lambert for Osvaldo to see how that works.

This

Interesting thread and regardless who you would or wouldn't have in your team, it is clear we now have very different options that can line up in a number of different formations.

Amazed at the number of people that have dropped SRL. I'm not saying the are wrong, just genuinely surprised.

I think this

---------------------------Boruc------------------------

Clyne---------Yoshida----------------Lovren----------Shaw

-----------Schneiderlin----------Wanyama------------

Rodriguez------------------------------------Ramirez

--------------------------------Osvaldo-----------------

---------------Lambert----------------------------------

I would go for

--------------------------Boruc------------------------

Clyne---------Yoshida----------------Lovren----------Shaw

-----------Schneiderlin----------Wanyama------------

Rodriguez-------------Ramirez------------------Lallana

------------------------Lambert-------------------------

--------------------Boruc------------------

Clyne--------Fonte--------Lovren--------Shaw

-----------Morgan-----Wanyama--------------

Rodriguez-------Ramirez-----------Lallana

----------------Osvaldo-----------------------

Tough call to drop Lambert - the guy is a hero and has done an unbelievable job for us - but ultimately, I think Osvaldo is the man to help take us on a level, and he needs to play up top. For him to be a success, I think we need someone behind capable of playing that pass that no-one else sees and for me that is Gaston. He frustrates at times, but with an extended run I hope he can show some consistency, because when he is good he is superb and is a match-winner.

Wanyama has shown enough for me that he is going to be a top top player once settled so he gets the nod over Corky and the Fonte-Lovren pairing looks like it might be shaping up to be a good partnership, despite the fact that I think Yoshi is probably the better player (than Fonte). Centre back is all about the partnership for me.

Then we have great options off the bench with Cork when required in the centre and JWP and Davis who have shown that they can step in when needed.

Lambert has also shown that when he comes off the bench he not only gives us a different option in terms of style but that he can make a real impact, whoever the opposition - Chelsea and City for example.

I would like to see a Christmas tree formation, making the most of our midfield talent.

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Lovren Shaw

Cork Wanyama Morgan

Ramirez Lallana

Lambert/Osvaldo

Doubt it would happen, but i would like to see the interchange between Ramirez and Lallana in attacking positions..

Werent we heavily relaint on our full backs in our championship season? The amount of assists they got suggests so. Is it fair to say the man to take us to the next level is copying the tactics of the clueless bumpkin who was out of his depth?

I don't think it was an Adkins invention playing with wing-backs last time I looked. Haven't most top teams in Europe been employing these tactics for several years?

Having two fullbacks that are good enough to play this way is the real key. We are extremely lucky to have arguably the two best young English fullbacks in the country. You bet they are important to our system. They are the system! With those two in the side and playing well we become an offensive 1-2-2-6 team. Yes we are susceptible to the ball over the top into the channels but I thought that was where Wanyama comes in with his ability to snuff out those kinds of counter attacks. Time will tell.

I'm staying positive. When Shaw and Clyne come back in we will see a different Saints to the one that has stuttered to get going this season.