Your favourite Saints players that weren't popular?

Bad Wolf

One for the oldies .... Jimmy Melia!!

Because of his bald head he really stood out, and was the whipping boy of the day.

I remember one cold wet midweek evening game where early on he headed the muddy ball and spent the rest of the evening with his gleaming bald head proudly displaying a muddy imprint of the ball, giving the impression he had some hair!!

Ricardo Fuller - I couldn't believe it when we sold him 2 games into the 06/07 season, after scoring 6 in 6 at the back end of the previous season.

Jhon Viafara (before he scored two vs Derby and enhanced his repuation) - I remember telling my mate that he was good footballer, not just someone who gets up and down the pitch well, and then watching on in embarrasment as he struggled with a 5 yard passing drill in a warm-up before an away game.

Jermaine Wright - He was a solid player in midfield and I thought the stick he got was unfair - he then continued to be played out of position.

Paul Wotton - the bloke behind us hated him so we always made a bit show of cheering his name, giving him a standing ovation when he was subbed etc.

Always gave 100%. I just remember when he smashed up his mouth towards the end of a game going for a head. Iirc he need several teeth replaced and numerous stitches?

One for the oldies .... Jimmy Melia!!

Because of his bald head he really stood out, and was the whipping boy of the day.

I remember one cold wet midweek evening game where early on he headed the muddy ball and spent the rest of the evening with his gleaming bald head proudly displaying a muddy imprint of the ball, giving the impression he had some hair!!

I was going to say the same - he was a great midfield player for us when we got into the 1st Div for the first time. He was in his twilight years but he still had the brain of a (almost) genius and was one of the key reasons we stayed up in the first couple of years.

I was going to say the same - he was a great midfield player for us when we got into the 1st Div for the first time. He was in his twilight years but he still had the brain of a (almost) genius and was one of the key reasons we stayed up in the first couple of years.

I've read some complete rubbish on here at times (usually posted by Glasgow Saint) but this is right up there with the very best.

Congratulations.

Ali Dia was a bit of a laugh. OK so he couldn't play for toffee but come on, if anyone on here was offered a chance to have a go in the first team you'd jump at it too. Got to admire the guy's nerve.

Also don't mind Fox, the man's a regular whipping boy on here but I think he's a perfectly adequate back up (emphasis on the words 'back up').

Always enjoyed seeing Fabrice "style over substance" Fernandez on the pitch.

Also thought Jermaine Wright was half decent, albeit rather unstylish, and didn't deserve half the criticism he got.

Give the ball to Fernandez in stoppage time, when we were leading, and that was as good as the game won. He was great at running in circles.

Believe it or not Bobby Stokes. In the run-up to the Cup Final he took a huge amount of stick for not being able to put the ball away. He was always on the spot but was going through a lean spell and the goal keeper would save with his legs or a shot would go agonisingly wide. I stuck with him.:) ...and the rest is...well you know the rest.

Kevin Phillips and Ricardo Fuller were both top strikers for us; and much maligned.

Sewpa Kev was popular while here but left very much under a cloud. Totally agree about Fuller though, he was treated terribly by the fanbase, his goals at the back end of 05/06 (Six from six games) after returning from loan at Ipswich propelled us to safety under Burley.

Iain Dowie in my youth. I thought he did OK and tried hard, although didn't always have the quality. Remember a couple of great goals, particularly in a home win v Villa...

In the recent past, probably Phillips. Scored some great goals for us, never understand the reception he gets.

Saganowski for me, but then I've always preferred the disinterested, occasional moments quality type players, than the give it 100% effort making the best use of their limited ability types like Telfer.

I might have more respect for the Telfers, but I watch football for the joy of players like Ginola.