Your favourite Saints players that weren't popular?

Bad Wolf

Most people, when it comes to "favourite Saints players" would go for the obvious options (i.e Matt Le Tissier, Terry Paine, Mick Channon etc) but do you have any "favourite" players who possibly aren't considered the best players around but you had a soft spot for them for some reason or another?

I've only been following Saints since 2005 so my choices are somewhat limited compared to those on here who have been doing so for a number of decades but two of my favourite players in recent years, not including the obvious ones (i.e Lambert, Kelvin, Lallana etc) are:

Steve De Ridder

Djemel Belmadi.

No idea why, just liked them both. Thought they were good enough players and came across quite well off the field. Dunno why, I just liked those two. David Prutton's probably in there too and Grezegorz Rasiak.

Anyone else got any favourite players who aren't considered "good"?

I always liked Paul Telfer.

Unglamourous, professional and a true cog in the machine. Not a world beater but we could have done with more like him when we were relegated in 04/05.

Few stand out like Telfer as being a truly dedicated player who gave 110% for the team. the club.

Unglamourous, professional and a true cog in the machine. Not a world beater but we could have done with more like him when we were relegated in 04/05.

I fully agree with Telfer who was Strachan's Mr reliable.

I would also add to the list Gerry Forest who for some reason I thought was great as a teenager.

Nick Holmes - always felt he was underrated at the time by our fans, playing as he did for so long in a team with many bigger names. A dedicated, loyal player with a good deal more ability than many gave him credit for. On here at least he seems to get the recognition he deserves.

Also Mick Mills - excellent player and a key member of what was a superb Saints team. But, like Holmes, he always attracted more than his fair share of moans from the Dell crowd.

Has to be Paul Telfer and well put by the more eloquent posters above.

BUT also back in his time with us Carlton Palmer (as mentioned) stood out as a close second. We all thought he was rubbish and how the hell did he EVER get England caps, yet in the run up to the World Cup that season he showed real fight & quality for us and made some Journos even question whether he could have gone to the WC.

Gregory Vignal for me. Was perhaps our best player in the second half of 07/08. Shame he spent the first half warming the bench so that Wright and Euell could be shoe-horned into the team at any cost.

Will never forget a cup tie at home to Leicester when he put half their team in A&E before scoring a 50 yard free kick.

Gregory Vignal for me. Was perhaps our best player in the second half of 07/08. Shame he spent the first half warming the bench so that Wright and Euell could be shoe-horned into the team at any cost.

Will never forget a cup tie at home to Leicester when he put half their team in A&E before scoring a 50 yard free kick.

He's only 32 and career effectively finished. A real pity.

I always rated jim magilton , but there were two chumps who sat near me who moaned about him constantly. Every time he passed the ball backwards or sideways, which admittedly was most of the time, one of them would shout loudly"forward magilton" . After a few months i told the bloke to stfu, and support the team. This resulted in a round of applause and a few "well said mate" from the surrounding seats.

Always enjoyed seeing Fabrice "style over substance" Fernandez on the pitch.

Also thought Jermaine Wright was half decent, albeit rather unstylish, and didn't deserve half the criticism he got.

Same for me too - did his job and was played out of position a lot. Not a glamorous player, but was decent for us and didn't deserve half the flak he got.

He was very fit - don't remember him ever getting injured. Seemed to play virtually every game. Reliable, but unspectacular. I seem to remember him, though, always taking the corners from the right and having great difficulty lifting the ball over the first defender - used to drive me up the wall!