West Ham Build up

Saint Garrett

Need to get back to winning ways against these. They're going to cause us problems as we're not great from crosses/set pieces, but lets just hope that they see very little of the ball.

One for Wanyama to start for me, to fight it out against Diame. Going to have to play in a very fluid way to get through them, as theyre a solid side. The donkey is likely to be back for this game supposedly, so thats their game plan sorted. Would be tempted to play Jos for this one, although he's not really been involved so far.

As long as no injuries....

-----------Boruc-------------

Clyne---Fonte--Lovren---Shaw

-----Wanyama-Morgan------

Rodriguez---Gaston----Lallana

-----------Osvaldo----------

Davis, Chambers, Yoshida, JWP, Cork, Lambert, Guly

Would give Osvaldo a start with a bit of pace in behind in Gaston and J-Rod, full backs back to our best with some pace too. Would be nice to score a goal from open play too....!

That's the one.

Need to get back to winning ways against these. They're going to cause us problems as we're not great from crosses/set pieces, but lets just hope that they see very little of the ball.

One for Wanyama to start for me, to fight it out against Diame. Going to have to play in a very fluid way to get through them, as theyre a solid side. The donkey is likely to be back for this game supposedly, so thats their game plan sorted. Would be tempted to play Jos for this one, although he's not really been involved so far.

Would give Osvaldo a start with a bit of pace in behind in Gaston and J-Rod, full backs back to our best with some pace too. Would be nice to score a goal from open play too....!

A strange choice to drop JWP given his performances to date and personally I would go for lambert for his sheer work rate. But that means sacrificing lallana and Rodriguez which doesn't really appeal either.

It's good that we have so many players competing for places now. Tough on anyone being left out really.

Completely agree with that one. That should be our First XI for the season.

Like parts of the team, though think Yoshida will come in at some point.

And can we really play without Lambert?

You're right: JWP doesn't work out on the right, however much he's tucked inside. If he's going to play, it will be in CM with either Morgan, Victor or Cork as the single holding player. I can see him starting some home games where the onus is on us to attack -see the second half against Sunderland; but he has to do more to win my trust and dislodge a very strong midfield, including Davis who IMO still offers more from an all-round perspective.

Most important, despite what people think, we are not afraid to go long and sometimes that's all we do. Lambert needs a rest but will Jrod or Osvaldo provide his aerial ability and hold up? Jrod has been compared to the next Sheringham in Jrod but not seem much of that to date; while Osvaldo won virtually nothing in the air against Norwich. He likes quick balls into feet, though we don't do much of that.

The direct ball is food and drink for Wham; they are vulnerable against pace, however. That is, they are exactly the kind of team against which we need a plan B. With Shaw and Clyne probably back, MP won't have any excuses. It will be an interesting litmus test of whether their pace/width alone is enough and how we set up.

Edited by shurlock

Close the thread - you nailed it.

We can't play with both SRL and Ossie - and please MoPo, don't try that again. This team is nailed on our best 11. SRL coming off the bench late on to cause havoc on a tired back line.

3-1 Saints. Spider, Lallana, Ossie

Against teams that are more likely to sit back against us I think MP is starting to consider going with only one DM

In which case I can see an argument for going with

-------Wanyama------------

---Gaston----Lallana--------

Lambert---------------JRod

Which would be incredibly tough on JWP & Morgan, but think JWP needs a break as was at fault for the Norwich goal and was not at his best last week. Morgan COULD replace Gaston in that shape but not sure he is creative enough, would certainly help IF we adopt the pressing game again though

But against WetSham think we need more height in the team hence finding a way to fit SRL into it and JRod chasing down the channels is something we definitely missed (as well as FB's) at Norwich.

Anyways I'll be there 1st game of the season. Hope it's better than my 1st trip last year (Wigan)

I was at the West Ham game on saturday where Stoke completely outplayed them from start to finish,they were so poor it was unbelievable,no movement at all and the wingers Jarvis and Downing just didnt seem to have a clue,Maiga looked scared of Huth and Shawcross.

I have confidence that we will win this with ease

Close the thread - you nailed it.

We can't play with both SRL and Ossie - and please MoPo, don't try that again. This team is nailed on our best 11. SRL coming off the bench late on to cause havoc on a tired back line.

3-1 Saints. Spider, Lallana, Ossie

You obviously never went to the Norwich game,because if you did you would know that unfortunately Gaston is not yet upto speed.

the OP said he would probably play Jos to conteract old horsey featuresand then does not list him in the starting 11.

there is absolutely no reason that you cant play both Ossie and SRL even if SRL is played in the hole. I would prefer to see him as the target man with the likes of Ossie and Jayrod running off him. Especially for home games where we know it is upto us to break down the opposition.

my preffered starting 11 for home games would probably look like this.

Boruc

Clyne Yoshida Louvren Shaw

Wanyama Spider

Lallana Jayrod

Ossie

SRL

I said I'd be tempted to play Hooiveld, despite him but I actually think Lovren will deal with Carroll.

I'm not writing off Osvaldo and Lambert either, I just feel that 442 is a no no as we just don't suit it. Our players look lost when we try and play two up front - it didn't work last season, and I doubt it will work this season.

As much as I love Lambert, I'm also not sure he's got the pace to trouble WHU. We need to keep the ball on the ground and move the ball quickly, the best way of doing that is by playing 3 attacking midfielders. For me the back 5 pretty much picks itself - only issue is Fonte or Yoshi.

CM MP seems decided on. Rodriguez needs to play as he gives us an outlet and troubles the oppo with his pace. Lallana will play because he's actually had a decent start to the season, and he is our skipper. The decision is who starts up top - Osvaldo or Lambert, and who fills the other AM place, JWP, Gaston or Steven Davis.

Like parts of the team, though think Yoshida will come in at some point.

And can we really play without Lambert?

You're right: JWP doesn't work out on the right, however much he's tucked inside. If he's going to play, it will be in CM with either Morgan, Victor or Cork as the single holding player. I can see him starting some home games where the onus is on us to attack -see the second half against Sunderland; but he has to do more to win my trust and dislodge a very strong midfield, including Davis who IMO still offers more from an all-round perspective.

Most important, despite what people think, we are not afraid to go long and sometimes that's all we do. Lambert needs a rest but will Jrod or Osvaldo provide his aerial ability and hold up? Jrod has been compared to the next Sheringham in Jrod but not seem much of that to date; while Osvaldo won virtually nothing in the air against Norwich. He likes quick balls into feet, though we don't do much of that.

The direct ball is food and drink for Wham; they are vulnerable against pace, however. That is, they are exactly the kind of team against which we need a plan B. With Shaw and Clyne probably back, MP won't have any excuses. It will be an interesting litmus test of whether their pace/width alone is enough and how we set up.

Who has compared Rodriguez to Sheringham? Never seen that comparison anywhere. Why would Lambert need a rest already?

Against teams that are more likely to sit back against us I think MP is starting to consider going with only one DM

In which case I can see an argument for going with

-------Wanyama------------

---Gaston----Lallana--------

Lambert---------------JRod

Which would be incredibly tough on JWP & Morgan, but think JWP needs a break as was at fault for the Norwich goal and was not at his best last week. Morgan COULD replace Gaston in that shape but not sure he is creative enough, would certainly help IF we adopt the pressing game again though

But against WetSham think we need more height in the team hence finding a way to fit SRL into it and JRod chasing down the channels is something we definitely missed (as well as FB's) at Norwich.

Anyways I'll be there 1st game of the season. Hope it's better than my 1st trip last year (Wigan)

I like that team in home games, but probbly not against West Ham though imo. Need a bit more bite in midfield and just Wanyama on his own there is not enough imo.

But against other teams that will sit back it´s interesting, perhaps worth a shot against Crystal Palace, the following home game...?

Who has compared Rodriguez to Sheringham? Never seen that comparison anywhere. Why would Lambert need a rest already?

From the horse's mouth - Rodriguez has said he would like to model his game on Sheringham's.

http://soccerlens.com/jay-rodriguez-profile/18355/

By 'rest', I mean it euphemistically - Lambert hasn't been at the races for the while -admittedly nor have any of our attackers. So I would like us to try something different, especially against a team that has managed to keep him quiet, dating back to the Championship. Indeed, iirc, it's Rodriguez who's given them more problems, even during his lean spell (he was excellent up at their place last year).

Edited by shurlock

From the horse's mouth - Rodriguez has said he would like to model his game on Sheringham's.

http://soccerlens.com/jay-rodriguez-profile/18355/

By 'rest', I mean it euphemistically - Lambert hasn't been at the races for the while -admittedly nor have any of our attackers. So I would like us to try something different, especially against a team that has managed to keep him quiet, dating back to the Championship. Indeed, iirc, it's Rodriguez who's given them more problems, even during his lean spell (he was excellent up at their place last year).

Ha, fair enough, but he's as far away from a "Sheringham" type of player that a forward could really be.

Why anyone would want to bring Yoshida back into the side I don't know, especially in a game when you need players to be very good in the air, which he isn't.

Not against Wham but over time he'll be back in contention as the second CB. Obviously you don't rate him.

Personally, I'd love to find a way of getting the Cork/Schneiderlin partnership operating again. I think there's a 4123 set-up that could be powerful, with Wanyama playing just behind Cork/Spider

Clyne Fonte/Yoshida Lovren Shaw

Wanyama

Cork Schneiderlin

Lallana Osvaldo Rodriguez

Lambert on as super-sub if Osvaldo hasn't delivered by 60th minute. This is the starting team that would excite me most...

I fear another very frustrating game. They'll not doubt be time-wasting from the off, parking the bus hoping to snatch a goal and niggling us then going down like a sack of sh*t at the slightest touch.

We're going to have to be patient and hope we take our chances. I hope Shaw and Clyne play to provide this elusive width we all crave.

Personally, I'd love to find a way of getting the Cork/Schneiderlin partnership operating again. I think there's a 4123 set-up that could be powerful, with Wanyama playing just behind Cork/Spider

Cork is a very solid player who did a brilliant job last season shoring up our defence at a time when we were incredibly frail, however, we don't have that problem at the moment. As solid as Cork is, he adds almost nothing in an attacking sense as his passing is generally (understandably) tentative and focused on retention rather than chance creation. Bringing Cork back into the team is not the answer to the last two stuttering performances (Clyne and Shaw being fit and in the team is the answer, if you were wondering).

I agree about Cork,he has done nothing wrong to warrant being benched

However Gaston really really needs to step up and start taking these games by the scruff of the neck,and start creating

We really won't know the best set up for a few more games.

I fear there is a big chance of Osvaldo getting sent off in this game. I can't imagine he'll take kindly to the tactics WHam rely on, kicking at heels and falling over at the slightest gust of wind. His temper will need to remain firmly under control and they'll know this.

I fear there is a big chance of Osvaldo getting sent off in this game. I can't imagine he'll take kindly to the tactics WHam rely on, kicking at heels and falling over at the slightest gust of wind.

if they all spend half the game adjusting their pony tails he'll probably lose his ****.

I fear there is a big chance of Osvaldo getting sent off in this game. I can't imagine he'll take kindly to the tactics WHam rely on, kicking at heels and falling over at the slightest gust of wind. His temper will need to remain firmly under control and they'll know this.

Although those traits are generally well evidenced in Spanish and Italian teams so I doubt it will be unknown to him! That said, I agree it would be useful if he does nothing mental. I had a premonition that he will get a brace in this game and take his shirt off both times after scoring, thus receiving a red card as a result of two yellow cards.

Although those traits are generally well evidenced in Spanish and Italian teams so I doubt it will be unknown to him! That said, I agree it would be useful if he does nothing mental. I had a premonition that he will get a brace in this game and take his shirt off both times after scoring, thus receiving a red card as a result of two yellow cards.

sexual

WE need to stop this obsession with playing youth players and pick our best XI. Also we need more power in midfield than Ward Prowse is able to offer, I fear he'll get bullied by Nolan. Bring Clyne back and hopefully Shaw will be fit by then.

Many put JWP as MOM for the Sunderland game - doesn't that justify his selection in that game and the next, rather than an obsession with youth?

Will be interesting to see how MoPo lines up for this one. The most important aspect of this game is to control the midfield and break their lines between midfield and attack.

---------------BORUC----------------

CLYNE----FONTE----LOVREN----SHAW

-------------WANYAMA--------------

-----------CORK----MORGAN---------

----OSVALDO-------------LALLANA---

--------------LAMBERT---------------

Subs: K.Davis, Chambers, Yoshida, S.Davis, JWP, Ramirez, Rodriguez

Also a note to Poch - please don't bring Gaston on for this one. He is not suited to this type of match, as evidenced against West Brom.

But is it attack if you have 7 players with the defense as their main attributes out there.....?

Even if you line them up like that....

yes i think it is. clyne and shaw, as has been noticed as much when they are not playing, as when they are, are superb going forward. a bonus that they are good solid defenders. morgan can go forward and score, we have seen him do it, and wanyama has the ability to score goals and create mischief when playing against champions league teams, who without wishing to offend anyone, are better than west ham. yes, these players are good defensively, but omly play that way because they are asked to do so.

Will be interesting to see how MoPo lines up for this one. The most important aspect of this game is to control the midfield and break their lines between midfield and attack.

Also a note to Poch - please don't bring Gaston on for this one. He is not suited to this type of match, as evidenced against West Brom.

While that looks good, I think we (on here) tend to under-rate the running work that JRod brings to our attack. Sure he is not a goal scorer (yet) but his running wears down the defenders, don't think this will work as well against WHU but may be better against slower teams like WBA & Sunderland have proved to be.

I'd prefer to see something like that away from home at Liverpool wherw MS & Cork can press much higher up the pitch

I think this is how the game will go:

We'll start brightly, with some nice passing play, but not particularly direct. Nevertheless, we will make some chances, which we won't take. The crowd will get anxious. They'll have one chance all game, but will take it. And yes, it will be their big lunk up the front. With a header. We'll go in at half-time 1-0 down, get a panicky rollicking from MP, who'll bring on JayRod, who'll run around like a headless chicken. We'll then pop it around the middle a bit more, and no-one will notice we won't have had a shot. Osvaldo will get all bad tempered about playing for a side beneath him and he will lash out. He will be sent off. The TV pundits will be going on about West Ham's good start, and how our has had early promise, but that maybe Rickie's head has been turned.

Or:

We'll hammer them.

Hope it's the second bit.

Who scored our goal in the 1-1 draw with West Ham last season at St Mary's?

As we are struggling for chances and goals, I fail to see how a midfield of 3 defensive minded players is going to help against a typically robust team.