What tablet?

hutch

Any comments from hands-on users? I'm looking to pick a new one up. It won't be Apple so I don't need to know about I-pads. It will be an Android-driven device.

I'm considering the Xperia z Anybody using one? Or the Google Nexus. 10" tablets not smart phones.

I have a Google Nexus 10 and am delighted with it. The screen really is excellent.

The one criticism of Google devices is that they tend to come without the option of expanding the internal memory. Google does this so you are 'encouraged' to use their cloud services to store the onesandzeroes versions of your real-life things. If you've got more stuff than will fit on the 32GB, then the Sony might be a better bet (assuming it has an SD card capability).

I'm not sure if you can buy refurbished units "way down south" Hutch, but I saved myself £80 doing exactly that on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Nexus-10-10-32-GB-Android-4-2-JellyBean-Wi-Fi-Tablet-Black-/290933226712?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item43bcf8bcd8

These units are factory refurbished. They are returned to "brand new" condition by Google (Samsung) and you get a three month warranty. Mine arrived in pristine condition and has so far been faultless.

Thanks for the replies so far. Nobody seems to be using Xperia?

I don't need 3G (or 4G) just WiFi. The lack of on-board memory is the only reason I didn't go straight for the Nexus. You can drop a 64gig card into the Xperia. Having said that I do have my own "cloud" (a 2TB external drive plugged into a USB port on my router) so it might not really be an issue. I can configure the router to give access via the WAN if I need to.

However once I started reading the reviews I did pick up on a couple of good points about the Xperia. It has an IR port so you can use it as a TV remote (handy, but does it actually work). And it's waterproof so I can spend all my Saturday afternoons in the pool sipping cocktails while watching Saints.

Just picking up on a point SaintBletch made about expandability. You can use USB sticks on a Nexus with a OTG (on-the-go) micro-USB cable from Amazon and a $2.50 app. I've got a couple of 32GB sticks with movies and various PDFs, music, etc, that I can use with my Nexus 7. Very handy on my recent transatlantic flight.

Edited by Pugwash
Incorrect cable description

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the Xperia when I was over in the UK last week. 32Gb WiFi model with a 64Gb flash card. So far so good but I haven't really had the chance to check it out properly. I am very impressed with the remote control app.

I installed the Overplay VPN onto my router last night, so I now have access to streaming UK content on all our devices at home, including iPlayer and catchup and all that stuff.

Early days, but so far I'm impressed.

Just picking up on a point SaintBletch made about expandability. You can use USB sticks on a Nexus with a OTG (on-the-go) micro-USB cable from Amazon and a $2.50 app. I've got a couple of 32GB sticks with movies and various PDFs, music, etc, that I can use with my Nexus 7. Very handy on my recent transatlantic flight.

Which app do you use?

Righto, that was the main reason I plumped for the Sony with the built-in flash memory card slot rather than the Google Nexus. The flash card is in my laptop right now, copying the entire content of my I-tunes for use on the tab (copyright permitting of course).

I have a note 10.1 but dont really use the s pen....so am currently looking to swap for a Nexus 10....anyone?

So, you had a Nexus 4, which you swapped for a Note 2. Now you are looking to swap the Note 2 for a Nexus 10.

What device will you be hoping to swap the Nexus 10 for soon afterwards? It is interesting how you rarely see an iPhone/iPad owner trying to exchange their device for an alternative one; yet, Android owners are never quite happy enough and realise there's so etching better out there for them (even if they'll never admit that the device they are searching for is an iDevice.)

So, you had a Nexus 4, which you swapped for a Note 2. Now you are looking to swap the Note 2 for a Nexus 10.

What device will you be hoping to swap the Nexus 10 for soon afterwards? It is interesting how you rarely see an iPhone/iPad owner trying to exchange their device for an alternative one; yet, Android owners are never quite happy enough and realise there's so etching better out there for them (even if they'll never admit that the device they are searching for is an iDevice.)

No I want to swap my note 10.1 for a Nexus 10 .....big difference..and you can stick your idevice where the sun doesnt shine (-;

It's excellent for watching iPlayer, catchuptv or similar on a larger screen. I have this set up at home in my bedroom.

But you can get all those - and more - from any one of the digiboxes on Sky/VM/BT/Freeview, cheaper and with better resolution. Just seems an unnecessary gimmick too far to me.

But you can get all those - and more - from any one of the digiboxes on Sky/VM/BT/Freeview, cheaper and with better resolution. Just seems an unnecessary gimmick too far to me.

To get those I would have to install an etirely new TV aerial or pay for a Sky engineer for me to go Multiroom. For internet TV streaming on a big tele for the price of a 3.50 cable, bargain.