Happiest countries in the world...

norwaysaint

According to Columbia University's Earth Institute Denmark is the happiest place to be. Not too surprising, going on the "Danish boat" is considered the default party trip over here.

The big surprise was that Austria is the world's 8th happiest country, I mean, remove certain choice individuals dragging the average down and they would surely shoot up the list.

The UK came in 22nd happiest of 156 countries, so perhaps the "happy clappers" aren't the majority some make them out to be, but it's always nice to beat Germany(26th) at something. I wonder if there's a good German word for being pleased at somebody else's lack of happiness.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/09/business/earth-institute-world-happiness-rankings/index.html

(Yes, I know none of it really means much)

Do you consider yourself happy and does living in whatever country you live in make much of a difference?

According to Columbia University's Earth Institute Denmark is the happiest place to be. Not too surprising, going on the "Danish boat" is considered the default party trip over here.

The big surprise was that Austria is the world's 8th happiest country, I mean, remove certain choice individuals dragging the average down and they would surely shoot up the list.

The UK came in 22nd happiest of 156 countries, so perhaps the "happy clappers" aren't the majority some make them out to be, but it's always nice to beat Germany(26th) at something. I wonder if there's a good German word for being pleased at somebody else's lack of happiness.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/09/business/earth-institute-world-happiness-rankings/index.html

(Yes, I know none of it really means much)

Do you consider yourself happy and does living in whatever country you live in make much of a difference?

"Rwanda, Burundi, the Central African Republic, Benin and Togo ranked the lowest", why don't you try owning a house in these countries and see if it makes you miserable ? ;) I like how the comments degenerated into a shouting match about the Israel-Palestine conflict though.

Edited by farawaysaint

In fairness to your question I've lived in 4 of the bottom 60 nations and my family was fine, mostly because we had enough money to be comfortable which most of the general population didn't. There is a fairly good correlation between the happiness listing and the Gini coefficient of the nations (a measure of income inequality) the wealthier nations with the least disparity are the happiest. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2172rank.html

Lots of Scandinavian countries on the list. Don't they in general have pretty high suicide rates? Or is this now an outdated misconception?

The theory is that in countries with high levels of equality and general happiness people who deviate eg very poor, very weird, whatever, feel an emphasis on their situation as out of the norm,become more depressed and more likely to commit suicide.

A lot of Asian countries on that list. I wonder how many countries don't declare their figures or record them accurately. I guess non secular countries that consider suicide to be a sin, keep it quiet.

Maybe the whole scandinavian thing was just linked to the Abba boom and Ikea has sorted everything out now.