Who Has Seen Saints Win At Anfield

Gemmel

I have, but was in the Liverpool end- Very difficult not to get carried away - From memory Jo Tessem go the winning goal.

Our best win up there would probably have to be the one nil Wallace victory in the early eighties when they just didn't lose at home.

This Saturday will increase the ranks of fans that can answer "Yes" to that question.

2003, won 2-1, Ormerod scored in the first minute and Michael Svensson got the second in the second half. Heskey pulled one back with about 10 minutes to go but we held on.

The only other win up there I can remember was a 3-2 win when David Hirst got a couple. Possibly Ostenstad with the other?

I have, but was in the Liverpool end- Very difficult not to get carried away - From memory Jo Tessem go the winning goal.

Our best win up there would probably have to be the one nil Wallace victory in the early eighties when they just didn't lose at home.

This Saturday will increase the ranks of fans that can answer "Yes" to that question.

Nov 81. 1-0 Steve Moran, not Wallace.

Feb 98. 3-2 Hirst 2 Ostenstad.

Dec 03. 2-1 Ormerod M. Svensson.

I cannot see Saints even coming close on Saturday, we got overrun last year by a worse Liverpool side and with Schneiderlin and Cork in the midfield.

I can't see me seeing an away win either, and I'm going to Exeter v Newport instead - doubt I'll see 2 OGs by the same player this week either though.

My only win in 7 Anfield visits which included the 7-1 drubbing.

November 81, stood in the Kop.

Made up for the Cup Game , think early 70's, when were chased from Anfield to Lime Street

That's the only time I've seen us get any result up there...that and his other one down the road in '84 are 2 of the sweetest goals I've seen on my travels.

I was there for the 3-2. Sat next to me in the Saints end was someone who had been a Liverpool fan since a little boy but was now living in Southampton and had brought his girlfriend with him. He was telling her how his dad used to bring him and pointing out to her where he stood in the Kop. When our third goal went in he stood up and said to her "Right, we're off". As they left she whispered to me "Actually, I was rather enjoying it".

I was there, with my Dad, in the mid 60's after we had just come up to the old Division 2 when we won 1-0 in an evening game at Anfiled, as I recollect, not long after beating them 4-1 at home.

I don't remember seeing (or hearing) any other Saints fans in the ground and my Dad and I were looked upon as something special by the Liverpool fans.

They thought we were really keen to have travelled all that way for an evening game when, in fact, we were staying not far from Anfield with relatives

Again, if my memory serves me correct, the prices for Boys entry for the earlier Liverpool home game had increased by 50% from 1/- to 1/6d and a lot of us in the Boys queue were unaware of this and quite a few didn't have the extra 6d to get in.

Luckily I was able to get a message to my Dad who came down to the turnstile to pay the extra entrance fee otherwise I would have been stuck outside.

Happy days!!

I was there for the 3-2 alongside mates from Uni - one a Liverpool fan, one Man U, all of us in the away end. Great day out.

Sadly I've seen Liverpool win there more times (against other teams) than Saints, went a fair few times when I was at Uni, including the 2nd 4-3 game against Newcastle.

I went to the 2003 game. Was a season that was. I really don't want to think of all the other matchs at Anfield. Nothing but pain there. I really don't like Liverpool. Hansen (caught on his heels) quite literally catching a ball above his head to stop Wallace running on to a chipped pass left a lasting memory on a small lad, but I have to say it's the best match day experience of any ground in England IMO. Lots of tradition and a noticeable lack of americanised gimicks. Shame about the match day prices these days.

but I have to say it's the best match day experience of any ground in England IMO.

There's a whole new thread in the that sentence!

I'm not sure I would put it top of the tree, but certainly right up there. The pre match "Walk On" gets the old hairs sticking up.

I have a gut feeling, that there is going to be a lot more people that will be able to post on this thread after Saturday.

There's a whole new thread in the that sentence!

I'm not sure I would put it top of the tree, but certainly right up there. The pre match "Walk On" gets the old hairs sticking up.

I love the tannoy fella, having no scoreboard, the walk alone, the noise and atmosphere, no stupid half time ****, no goal music, no raring the crowd up before the game starts by a **** with a mic, the feel of the place. I'm interested to know what your ground/match day experience selection be?

Had a very good day out (football aside) at the FA Cup game up there, the day we had all the Anfield Road end - wow, must be 20 years ago! Most of the pubs round there were rammed before the game, there were a lot of Saints fans up there early and were queueing down the street to get in the Arkles but we got in the King Harry before the game, place was full with a mix of both, bit edgy but (back then) a proper pre-match boozer.

The Steve Moran 0-1 was a beauty though, everyone just went nuts on the terraces, this was when Liverpool were generally top dogs in England.

Had a very good day out (football aside) at the FA Cup game up there, the day we had all the Anfield Road end - wow, must be 20 years ago! Most of the pubs round there were rammed before the game, there were a lot of Saints fans up there early and were queueing down the street to get in the Arkles but we got in the King Harry before the game, place was full with a mix of both, bit edgy but (back then) a proper pre-match boozer.

The Steve Moran 0-1 was a beauty though, everyone just went nuts on the terraces, this was when Liverpool were generally top dogs in England.

yeah the cup game was 5th round 1990, we had 5000 up there in the days of big cup away followings , we took loads to spurs in 3rd round as well.

we came close to getting a result in the league that year beating them 4-1 at home and losing 3-2 away with jimmy case scoring both.

I was there in 81, Kop End with my Liverpool supporting mate - I managed a 'yep' as the ball hit the net and I was in the away end in 03.

But I've also seen us lose (in the cup in 90) and draw in the late 70's. I think it was Phil Boyer for us to go 1 up and then hanging on for a point as we got battered in the second half

What year did Frank Worthington play for us at Anfield?

Was that 81?

I do recall going to Anfield with my ex father in law who was a Scouser St holder and standing on the Kop watching us. Not sure that was the year we won. Also remember going on the coachg when we lost lot to whatever.

What year did Frank Worthington play for us at Anfield?

Was that 81?

I do recall going to Anfield with my ex father in law who was a Scouser St holder and standing on the Kop watching us. Not sure that was the year we won. Also remember going on the coachg when we lost lot to whatever.

Frank The Provider. 83/84. We drew 1-1 that season. An evening game, early in the season and Mick Mills scored with a free kick.

Was there for the Steve Moran winner in 1981. The Kop had a banner made up of individual cards spelling F U C K O F F K E E G A N How sweet it was when Steve Moran netted the goal on 89 minutes after Keegan had put him through! Not so good outside though! Also saw us win 3-2 in 1998 - we were brilliant that day. Have seen us lose a few times as well - 7-1 springs to mind. Can't go Saturday but you never know - we've won once in each of the last 3 decades!