Still no goal in open play...

peacey

Delighted with the result today, and the way we played. We bossed Liverpool in the second half which was very pleasing to see. And to make it better we are 5th [for now anyway]

Just one thing: We still have not scored from open play in the league yet this season. With the fire power we have now we ought not be worried, i mean we have Osvaldo, Lambert, Lallana, JayRod. That imho is one of the better attacking options outside the top 4-5 in the league in the system we play.

Osvaldo though was poor today imo, and Lamberts goals have dried up at present. I also feel that lambert and Osvaldo are not connecting well at present-Can they play together? Jayrod has not scored for 11 games, and Adam Lallana never plays the full match. So should we be worried, as the stats dont lie or will it come good? Can these front four play together to form a lethal attack, which again imo should be the case. But at the present its not working and i am a bit worried about it personally.

Thoughts?

Ps not trying to put a downer on things just wondered what peoples thoughts are? As for the defence though, 100% SOLID. 2 goals conceded in 5 games. Keep the defence in this form, and start scoring more goals from open play and Saints really will be the real deal.

I can only go by the commentary and reports but we had plenty of chances that on another day could all have gone in. Was that the case from someone who saw the game? I'd be more worried if we weren't creating any chances as opposed to not finishing off those we do. I'm sure they will come.

We're playing a bit less expansively than we're used to, but we are creating chances. Surely the goals will come. Not getting carried away or complacent but a 'gimme' cup game and Palace at home should be decent games to have coming up next.

We've had quite a few chances but we've come up against some decent keepers.

I think Ossie is gently feeling his way into our team and will start to score soon. Once he really connects with the midfield I can see a lot of goals coming.

Ricky seems to be subdued at the moment but was unlucky not to get one against Wham and like Ossie I can see him firing up soon.

They just need to click but it takes time.

Before today Liverpool were glossing over gaping holes in their gameplay with "we just won, we're top of the league" our lack of goals is a major concern, winning or not.

Did we score today? Yes! Did we win today? Yes!

We are playing in the toughest league in the world, we are not going to score 3,4,5 goals against the opposition.

I do agree that it is a little worrying that we haven't scored from open play, but every goal counts whether from a corner or a 40 yard pile driver! You don't get extra points from scoring from open play, just enjoy the win and stop whinging! This is a game we would have lost last year.

Today was a great result but peacey, the poster, makes a fair point. We have now scored 5 goals in our last 10 PL games I believe. We have more or less stopped conceding, which is great, but we do need to start scoring more goals.

can everyone stop bringing last seasons games into every arguement. this season we have started with a new team that needs to get coherancy. five games, one defeat, and in the top 6 at the minute. i am happy with that. when we have gone ten games in a row this season without scoring then it might be a bit of an issue, but not yet.

i would happily take ten 1-0 wins, with all goals scored from set pieces, than scoring 30 goals in that time and not winning any of the games. yes we would all love to win pretty, but sometimes you have to take what you are given. and might i remind you, we have just been given an away win against the league leaders. ha ha ha scouse boys!

Before some people panic about goals scored remember our most successful league season in history, 2nd in 1983-84, was based on a mean defence and a lot of low scoring wins. We got a lot of smash'n'grab 1-0's that season.

The key to doing well is defence.

As long as the back 4 stays stingy we should do very well this season.

At the end of the day we are 5th without scoring from open play. Where will we be once the goals start flowing?

Well, the goals flowed last year and nobody complained we weren't scoring from open play. There was a certain preoccupation with the defence though!

Oh, and by the way, we have 8 points after 5 games. Last year it took us 12 games to amass the same number. Do we really have a problem?

That was the consensus on the train home.

I thought Osvaldo was excellent today.

He was, although a couple of times I felt he wanted an extra touch and maybe tried to do a bit too much, he's still settling though but is starting to show what a good player he is.

Well, the goals flowed last year and nobody complained we weren't scoring from open play. There was a certain preoccupation with the defence though!

Oh, and by the way, we have 8 points after 5 games. Last year it took us 12 games to amass the same number. Do we really have a problem?

Does it look like I'm saying there's a problem?

SRL missed when he should have scored as did Lallana, it will come, be a lot more worried if we weren't creating chances

Of course he should, 12 yds out, wide of the goal. ball pinged at him and a defender on each shoulder.

Receives it with his back to goal, one touch he sets it through his own legs, turns quickly and gets an early low shot off, on target and asking a lot of the keeper. Keeper gets down and makes an excellent block.

Agree 'he should have scored',

I said this at the tail end of last season, and it didn't quite happen.

The last two games though, we have made chances. If it wasn't for two very good goalkeeping displays, we'd have scored 4-6 goals over the two games. That said though, there are plenty of good keepers in this league, so the finishing does need to improve.

I'm less worried by this, than in the Sunderland and Norwich games, where we largely failed to create.

It's strange how much better suited we are to playing teams like Liverpool, I.e. teams that don't come out to play with 10 men behind the ball. Though giving our managers playing preference, it's not all that surprising.

Keen for ossie to score, he's clearly got the goals I him, I feel once he gets the monkey off his back he will go on a good run. Would be keen to see him and Gaston play together. I think that means making the tough choice of dropping Rickie, but I think really we all know deep down he hasn't been at it for a while, maybe the rest will do him good.

Nice to see the pressing game back, 'pool didn't have a clue how to cope. The threat this tactic can pose was blindingly obvious yesterday.